[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - front speker replacement
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

front speker replacement

front speker replacement

Postby bill3-1950 » Sat May 01, 2010 11:14 am

What size speakers will "bolt in" to the door panels on a '01 Solara Coupe with standard stereo. Would like to replace them without having to modify the door.

Any suggestions on what brand would be similar?

Thanks,

Bill
bill3-1950
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby beanslicer » Sat May 01, 2010 11:19 am

hey bill, i am not sure if any speakers will fit directly due to the wierd shape of the door bolts (there are 3 of them and most speakers come with 4) but you should get 6½" speakers and then get these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0161375958
check out crutchfield.com for good deals on speakers (they also send you a diagram on how to take apart your door and install the speakers)
beanslicer
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Sun May 02, 2010 1:28 am

X2 Crutchfield FTW!!! They have the best customer service and
the 'What fits' feature on their website. Check them out.
You can call them or e-mail and they'll get back to you quick.
Trust me, I'm a technician.
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Nemesis85 » Sun May 02, 2010 3:21 am

6 1/2" is the front fitting, and the back are 6x9" Crutchfield is the best place for car stereo equipment like others have mentioned. As for speakers, I would recommend Alpine components for the front. Type R if your going to run an AMP, or Type S if your leaving it stock. I have Alpine Type S component in the front of my GEN1 Lara, and they kick ass and sound WAY clear! Also, I'm running Infinity Kappa 6x9"s in the back... combination of great bass, and clarity for mids w/ those speakers in the back. If you prefer a more bright sound up front, then try Infinity up front too, but w/ the tweeters being there already, I feel that Inifinty's are entirely too bright to install up front! I'm interested in what you decide. PM me if you have any other questions.
Nemesis85
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby MisterTedster » Sun May 02, 2010 11:39 am

Oyyyyyy, there's so much more out there than Alpine. Look any 6.5" speaker will work in our doors, our max mounting depth is 3" + depth of mounting rings. If you want speaker recommendations, go to diymobileaudio.com, most everyone here will give you big names, while decent for the money, there are much better options.
02 SE V6
TRD FSB, TRD RSB, Dual TRD Mufflers, Eibach Springs, KYB Struts, OBX SRI, Fujita F5 Filter
MisterTedster
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby bill3-1950 » Mon May 03, 2010 7:39 am

Thanks to all for the answers. Am thinking about replacing all of them. Suggestions on tweeters and rear speakers. From what I've read rear ones are a pain to replace. Is there an easy way.

Again many Thanks,

Bill
bill3-1950
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby MisterTedster » Mon May 03, 2010 8:08 am

If you're going with the stock location for tweeters, I like the Mb Quart PTK40, but they tend to be a little bright for some. I run mine active crossed over at 3,000hz with MB Quart PWD216 6.5" mids bandpassed at 80-3000hz. I didn't intentionally try to pair the mb quart set up but they complement well.

As for the rear speakers, if they're not blown, don't worry about replacing them. At most, they're only there for rear fill duty.

As for your frontstage, we need to know a budget.
02 SE V6
TRD FSB, TRD RSB, Dual TRD Mufflers, Eibach Springs, KYB Struts, OBX SRI, Fujita F5 Filter
MisterTedster
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: front speker replacement

Postby ~SolaRaSpeed~ » Wed May 19, 2010 9:48 pm

uh oh, look what you started. That said, I have to agree with Tedster on the rears being fill. With decent speakers, setup correctly in the front your rear speakers make little difference. And it removes the pain of needing to get to the rear speakers, unless you are planning on changing some struts and springs while you're in there.
~SolaRaSpeed~
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5