[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Help with audio set up
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Help with audio set up

Help with audio set up

Postby drambs8 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:42 pm

Hey guys, my name is David. I am new to Solara guy. I drive a 2002 black solara.

I have been looking at audio set ups for my car. I was thinking of buying a new sub, but decided to use my old sub from my previous car. It is 2 10 inchers in a ported box. I have both a 300 wat amp and 1000 watt amp. As for a HU, I have a Sony X-Plode deck and a pioneer deck. Instead of using these HU I plan on buying this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HD-TOUCH ... 230b587082. It looks to be good quality for being Chinese.

My question are the stock speakers. I know the car now has JBLs. They seem to be good quality for stockers. Am I safe to keep these speakers for this set up? Also, is there anything bad about this set up or anything I need to worry about?

Thanks in advance
drambs8
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Help with audio set up

Postby drambs8 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:02 pm

Also I forgot to ask, where is the stock amp located? When I add my new amp, I am supposed to take out the old correct? Sorry I am a huge noob when it comes to audio.
drambs8
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby drambs8 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:03 pm

Also I forgot to ask, where is the stock amp located? When I add my new amp, I am supposed to take out the old correct? And will I need a new wire harness? Sorry I am a huge noob when it comes to audio.
drambs8
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby MisterTedster » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:20 pm

Firstly, you'd get a lot more opinions from a car audio forum. However, this is what you're going to hear: Stay away from the chinese head unit. Save money and buy yourself a decent set of speakers. The Eclipse SC8365 is only $140 shipped from sonicelectronix.com. If possible go active with your headunit (there are quite a few that can do this, Alpine 9887, Pioneer PRS880, Clarion DXZ785usb, and a few others), or use an external processor such as an Alpine PXE-H605, Rockford Fosgate 360.2, or the JBL MS-8 if you have the money.

Then get yourself a decent amp. Running your components off the headunit is just bad. You can't really do it without some kind of crossover for the stock speakers since the stock amp controls them. Using the stock amp with an aftermarket head unit will give you a whole other host of problems.

If you want to keep it simple, buy yourself a head unit, preferable with high-voltage preouts, buy a decent amp (no Sony crap), a sub amp and a sub. As you can see, car audio is not so simple, and you'd do better to plan well, so you only do it once and right the first time.
02 SE V6
TRD FSB, TRD RSB, Dual TRD Mufflers, Eibach Springs, KYB Struts, OBX SRI, Fujita F5 Filter
MisterTedster
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby stringbean » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:37 pm

^^^ i agree! think of a budget and get a plan. If you want to use some old equipment from a previous vehicle is ok, if you liked it. upgrading the head unit in the solara's will give you tons if you dont get an amp to run the speakers, but since your there you might as well replace them as well. i love my energy convertibles, the infintys are very high sounding, hertz are great and so are focal and clarion, alpine r's are nice if you get them on sale.

As for the head unit please stay away from china stuff, jvc, clarion, alpine, pioneer. 4 or 6v pre outs are what your looking for.

amp wise, i like my budget legacy amp its great, i want to upgrade it though, look to us amps, clarion, apline, kicker, jl, jbl (~2 years old) was there best stuff in my opinion. all amps from major manuf. are good. if you got money buy audison!

for subs, idk what your old sub is but if you wanna get something compact and powerful the JL W? (cant remember the # of the higher model) is great, mtx 9500, clarion signature, Infinity kappa perfect, or alpine type r.

why not use your pioneer hu?

and insulation! go buy a roll of dynamat or what ever they call it where you are lol and do all the speakers, the hole rear deck, trunk (inside and lid) sub (bolt that box down!!!) and your doors!

buy some good wire! i personally like the monster car audio cable 16 gauge for speakers and 12 for subs. you might not think that wire is a huge deal but it counts all the little more in a system!

if you have any question pm me!
stringbean
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby drambs8 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:41 pm

Hey guys thanks for the help!

I have a little more info. for you.
- The 1000 watt amp is a Phoenix Gold (at parents house right now will go pick up tomorrow for more info., believe it is a 3 chanel)
- The 300 watt amp is Planet Audio (2 chanel, 2 ohms- I believe this was a crappy amp)
- My brother law is looking for his older 500 watt amp that he believes is a Pheonix Gold too. This amp has around 2 months use tops.
- The Subs are 2 10 inch 450 watts each, in a ported box. I cant get to the back of the subs but the front of them say IMPP?

I plan on running the subs with the 1000 watt amp. My question is if I should run the 300 watt amp or 500 watt amp with the speakers. I plan on getting speakers in the near future. I know its going to be a head ache to have to do another install but oh well. But, is it ok to run the 300 or 500 watt amp with the stock JBLs for the time being, that way when I get the new speakers I can just plug them in instead of taking out the HU again?

I am taking it that Sub Amps and Speaker Amps are one in the same, just different names for different applications?
drambs8
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby drambs8 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:41 pm

Hey guys thanks for the help!

I have a little more info. for you.
- The 1000 watt amp is a Phoenix Gold (at parents house right now will go pick up tomorrow for more info., believe it is a 3 chanel)
- The 300 watt amp is Planet Audio (2 chanel, 2 ohms- I believe this was a crappy amp)
- My brother law is looking for his older 500 watt amp that he believes is a Pheonix Gold too. This amp has around 2 months use tops.
- The Subs are 2 10 inch 450 watts each, in a ported box. I cant get to the back of the subs but the front of them say IMPP?

I plan on running the subs with the 1000 watt amp. My question is if I should run the 300 watt amp or 500 watt amp with the speakers. I plan on getting speakers in the near future. I know its going to be a head ache to have to do another install but oh well. But, is it ok to run the 300 or 500 watt amp with the stock JBLs for the time being, that way when I get the new speakers I can just plug them in instead of taking out the HU again?

I am taking it that Sub Amps and Speaker Amps are one in the same, just different names for different applications?
drambs8
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby drambs8 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:54 pm

Ahhh, I was doing install and some major things happened. First, I ran all the wires (didn't attach anything yet though). I took out my HU, I saw that I needed a new harness. So I hooked my battery back up and kinda threw everything back where it was spose to go but didn't bolt or plug anything in. I went to the store and on the way there my lights were keep dimming. I thought no big deal my battery must need a little charge cause my doors were open for a while when I had the battery hooked up. I went to turn on my turning signal and my car just died on me and there was no signal. I started the car and it started right up. I had no turning signals. The next thing I noticed was that my car was rumbling really bad at low rpm and idle. I got back to my house and the firsgt thing I did was plug the white and black adapters in, the one was for the clock and the other was for the 4 way flashers. This made the turning signals work for some reason. I am right now charging the battery but there is still a huge rumble when the car is on. PLEASE HELP.

Also I can for some reason hear the gas being sloshed around in the tank. I have close to a full tank too right now. What could be wrong or what did I do??
drambs8
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby MisterTedster » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:34 am

At the risk of stirring up some controversy with stringbean, I would stay away from Legacy products. Honestly, I don't think anyone could say that you'd want to stay away from alpine AND pioneer. There is more out there than JL, alpine, infinity, mtx, and kicker. Kicker is NOT designed for an SQ system, and I stay away from pre-fab subwoofer boxes.

Nothing against you, stringbean, I don't agree with some your comments is all.
02 SE V6
TRD FSB, TRD RSB, Dual TRD Mufflers, Eibach Springs, KYB Struts, OBX SRI, Fujita F5 Filter
MisterTedster
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby stringbean » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:02 pm

MisterTedster wrote:At the risk of stirring up some controversy with stringbean, I would stay away from Legacy products. Honestly, I don't think anyone could say that you'd want to stay away from alpine AND pioneer. There is more out there than JL, alpine, infinity, mtx, and kicker. Kicker is NOT designed for an SQ system, and I stay away from pre-fab subwoofer boxes.

Nothing against you, stringbean, I don't agree with some your comments is all.

oh thats quite ok, where just giving this SG member two opinions.

i'll admit admit that Kicker is not SQ at all! lol and of coarse there is more out there then the large manuf. i was just listing some names off the top of my head, but David (drambs8) there are other brands, eclipse, lanzar, phenix gold, us amps, re audio, and many others, i just didnt name them because ive never dealt with them so i cant really say much about them.

and for my legacy amp i know its not the greatest but i love it for what it does when i only paid 50$ for it off my cousin, he paid 150$ for it delivered off ebay. so im not complaining, i know legacy stuff is hit and miss for the most part. But for m they have been quite good.

also a side note, i would also say stay away from pre fab boxes, they are not designed for a specific sub and thats how you'll get the best SQ.

te only reson why i have a pre fab Bassworks SPL box is because my friend that works at future shop gave me a killer deal for it. And i bought my subs around the box so that they would actually sound good, it was a lot of research to find out that Clarion PXW 1252 work excellent in that box, plus they are inverted! (see avatar)

anyways thats just an update. No controversy i hope MisterTedster. :) just two different opinions
stringbean
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5