[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 2000 Solara CVT JBL Boomy Bass TSB Help
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

2000 Solara CVT JBL Boomy Bass TSB Help

2000 Solara CVT JBL Boomy Bass TSB Help

Postby zebulonjohn » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:19 am

My wife has a 2000 Solara Convertible, we bought in '04. The few times I have driven it, I refuse to listen to the radio, it has a low end rumble that liquifies my GI tract. Very annoying. The convertible has a different amp than the sedans, they have a single huge bass speaker behind the seats, instead of the two in the package shelf of the sedan, thus necessitating a different amp.

Apparently, there was a TSB issued in 2003 about this problem. Of course, Toyota, at this late date won't hand over a replacement amp.

The amp in our convertible is number 86280-AA050. There was a second amp 86280-AA051, later in the production run, but prior to TSB.

Apparently Toyota, in issuing the improved amp for the TSB used the same numbers on the amps? I think the packaging has a -C after the number, to show it is the new improved amp. But the amp itself is not marked as a new and improved replacement unit?

Toyota wants about five hundred dollars for the amp that I think they should just give me, since this has been an issue in the convertible since it was built. Out of warranty, they say. Defective from day one, I say.

I won't pay it. I have found an amp from a wrecked Solara convertible for $100. They gave me the VIN, I am going to ask Toyota if they have a record of this car getting the TSB specified replacement, if so, then I am buying it. The company selling it will warrant it to be the better replacement amp, but I hope to make sure I don't have to return this by doing research in advance...

Does anybody have specific part number information for the replacement amps? Can anyone confirm my suspicion they have reused the same part numbers, rather than issue a new and different part number for these replacement amps?

Is the amp with the 86280-AA051 number the upgraded one? Or is it a second failure from Toyota?

Any help appreciated. I am not going to pay Toyota any money on this, they should have done a recall, rather than a Technical Service Bulletin.
zebulonjohn
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: 2000 Solara CVT JBL Boomy Bass TSB Help

Postby zebulonjohn » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:06 pm

I did get the 86280-AA051 amp, and it solved the problem.

Not the best stereo ever, but at least I can listen to it. Saved 400 bucks over what Toyota wanted me to pay.

I still unhappy with Toyota for putting this piece of junk in the car, and then expecting me to pay for the privilege of replacing it. It was bad from day one.

Toyota needs to clean up it's act. I own a 2004 Double Cab truck, as well.

Neither of these cars has inspired me to stay with Toyota next time I shell out $28,000 for a car.
zebulonjohn
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: 2000 Solara CVT JBL Boomy Bass TSB Help

Postby zebulonjohn » Tue May 08, 2012 7:13 pm

Me again. The replacement stereo was better, but still WAYYYYYY overboosted on the single bass speaker behind the rear seat. Especially when the radio stations boosted their bass line.

I just pulled down the cover behind the seat (took out two of the four plastic holders), and unplugged that POS speaker. The stereo is now listenable. Decent separation, decent sound, no gut rattling THUMP THUMP THUMP.

Sorry Toyota, you blew it with this owner.
zebulonjohn
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5