[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Help!
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Help!

Help!

Postby MGLax13 » Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:03 am

Ok, I did all the research here on the boards and I found the place to run my power wire from my engine compartment through the firewall, there was even already a really small home there b\c there is a small wire going through it for the alarm system that the original owner had installed. Here is my only problem, how the hell do you fit the drill in there to drill the hole? Really small drills? Which side fo the wall are you drilling from? am I missing something here?
MGLax13
SolaraGuy Solara13
SolaraGuy Solara13

Postby HKSV6SLE » Sat Oct 18, 2003 12:59 pm

run the wire through the firewall by the fuse box...yes? hmmm ill see if ican take some pixs of mine...
2008 LEXUS IS350 SGM
www.lexusnet.com
HKSV6SLE
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby MGLax13 » Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:30 pm

No, I dont think it's by the fuse box, I'm talking about when from the inside of the car, you pull out the propellar shaped plug from up and to the left of the brake pedal and then behind that is the firewall. I can't get a cordless hand drill into that space under my dash to drill strait into the firewall. I can't do it from the engine bay either because I have the speaker for the alarm in the space there and the screws wont come off. It doens't look like that space is big enough anyway even if I got the speaker out. I guess I"ll just go all the way across the engine bay to the passenger side and run it down there, I just heard stories about interference with the radio reception b\c the antenna wire runs down that side.
MGLax13
SolaraGuy Solara13
SolaraGuy Solara13

Postby Luc » Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:20 pm

The area you are referring to is the clutch panel. Had you had a manual transmission, that's where the clutch would go. Since you have alarm wires going through there already, you can't really enlarge it unless you cut those wires out and reconnect them later. Most likely, those are the wires for the alarm horn. If you want to run it "properly," you can always go through the wheel fender, but you'll have to take the wheel off, pull the fender liner off, and route it through the grommet. The factory antenna lead runs along the passenger side, so you won't get any interference from it. Besides, antenna lead is shielded like coaxial cables.
1998 S/C'd 1MZ-FE A/T
Luc
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby MGLax13 » Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:33 pm

I'm intrigued by this way through the wheel fender. I like doing things "properly". There is already a drilled hole and grommet there? How difficult is it to reattach that fender liner? Does it like snap back in or will I have to glue and rivet crap?
MGLax13
SolaraGuy Solara13
SolaraGuy Solara13

Postby krook » Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:07 am

screws are holding in that wheel fender. you just screw 'em back in. Luc put it right though. if you drill that spot where you clutch would be (if you have A/T) then it's a perfect spot. i used just a regular 12 volt Makita drill, a 1/8 drill bit, and a "uni-bit" to bore out the hole; stuck in a grommet and viola!

running through the fender is a bitch if you ask me. might take about 15 min. versus the 5 min. if you just drill.

and drilling is not a bad thing either; on camry's and older Toyota's that spot is always drilled to run aftermarket wiring.
krook
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby MGLax13 » Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:03 pm

I really want to drill through there but I can't get a drill to fit in there, I don't know....
MGLax13
SolaraGuy Solara13
SolaraGuy Solara13

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5