[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - aftermarket stereo installation
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

aftermarket stereo installation

aftermarket stereo installation

Postby megatronv7 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:06 pm

Does anybody know a link that shows how to remove and install an aftermarket head unit? pictures would be appreciated.
megatronv7
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Yanks0114 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:18 pm

Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby ZXLNT » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:27 am

The Solaras are pretty easy to do. Pry the plastic trim around the radio away from the dash. There are clips that hold it in. One you get one side started it comes out pretty easy, just kind of pops loose. Make sure you take out the ash tray and disconnect the wiring for the clock and cigarette lighter and the hazards lights. Then you can get the trim piece off and out of the way. The radio will be held in with four bolts. Remove those and slide the radio out a little ways, just enough to get the antenna and power wires undone. Take the brackets off the radio, you'll need them to bolt onto the aftermarket HU. Pretty much its plug and play. Get a wiring harness for the Solara and match up the speaker wires from the radio to the new harness and plug it in. It will bypass the stock amplifier and just use the power the new HU has. Its really pretty darn easy to put a new radio in these cars. I would suggest checking fader and balance controls before bolting it back in, to make sure you dont wire something wrong. Bolt the factory brackets onto your radio and install pocket right below the radio. It will just kind of fit into place between the part of the bracket that hangs down below the radio. (You'll need to buy the pocket separately) After you get it bolted back in. Hook your hazard control and all the other wires you disconnected from the trim piece and snap it back in.

Of course its a little detailed than this once you start to do it, but really its very very easy....

Also www.the12volt.com has couple articles on The Solara and Toyotas in general..
ZXLNT
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

can't find

Postby megatronv7 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:32 pm

Thanx for the info. Im reinstalling my factory cd player.
This place i got my aftermarket cd didn't use an aftermarket harness. instead they cut the wires.
So I had to resoldier all of cut wires. But there's one set for the plug connecting to the cd player that i can't find anywhere in the center console. does anyone know where it could be?
megatronv7
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby rigger » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:50 pm

does anyone have a wiring diagram for the factory deck? The wiring harness I bought doesn't match up, so was going to hard wire in my new deck.
rigger
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby bassthrive » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:52 pm

This install guide is really detailed and easy to follow.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Solara/message/413

- Paul
- Paul

y2k(1MZ)dWp
cpe mafci / apexi ws / tein s-tech + tokico / trd rsb
bassthrive
SolaraGuy Marklar
SolaraGuy Marklar

Postby Duffman » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:48 am

As a simple add-on to this (someone mentioned cut wires), I asked Toyota about the warranty and how stereos would affect it. As long as the wires are NOT cut, and you use a harness, you'll be fine.
2002 Toyota Solara SE V6 5-Speed
2005 Pontiac GTO 6-Speed
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250 ABS
Duffman
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ZXLNT » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:24 am

Even so they would have to prove that the radio specifically caused the failure your trying to warranty...
ZXLNT
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby EDuB777 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:18 pm

What wiring harness do you use, is it just a general Toyota harness, or Solara specific?
EDuB777
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby krook » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:54 pm

EDuB777 wrote:What wiring harness do you use, is it just a general Toyota harness, or Solara specific?

usually whatever brand aftermarket HU you are installing has a "harness kit" for different vehicles. (Alpine, Sony, Kenwood)

the harness plugs into the HU on one side and into the car in the other side. whoever you're buying the unit from, tell them you're installing it in a Toyota and that you need a harness to integrate.
krook
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby EDuB777 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:57 pm

im sorry, i was using the wrong word, i meant the install kit, that goes in in place of the stock stereo, and where you mount the new one
my bad
EDuB777
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby krook » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:02 pm

EDuB777 wrote:im sorry, i was using the wrong word, i meant the install kit, that goes in in place of the stock stereo, and where you mount the new one
my bad

you can get that at any local stereo shop as well, it bolts up in the same place your OEM stereo currently resides.

you talkin' bout the pocket DIN right? (that is, if your aftermarket stereo is only single DIN)
krook
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby EDuB777 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:21 pm

ok so i can use the generic Toyota install kit, all toyota stereos are the same?
EDuB777
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5