[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - n00b to Solaras
New and Old SolaraGuy members should post a hello message here to let everyone know who you are. Tell us about your Solara! We want to know.

n00b to Solaras

n00b to Solaras

Postby SeanJohn0716 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:53 pm

Hey people. I'm a n00b to this forum, but I'm not a n00b to tuning, web forums, searching or any of that stuff.

I'm a new owner of a 2000 Solara SE with a Manual tranny. From what I understand to far, I have the 2.2L I4 engine (I can't find a clear answer on here on the code for my engine). I'm a Mitsubishi Mirage/Lancer guy at heart, and maybe you all can warp my mind into a TRD maniac. So onot the n00b questions:

- True or False: My car is Gen1 Solara?

- What is the engine code for my engine? Code for the tranny?

- Where can I find a TRD or, any other lip kit? I'm not after the bodykit look, just lips and sides.

- I am an autocross buff. My Mirage was setup for autocross for this season, but it was victim to a bad accident and died before I could run it. Can I expect to see good times in Autocross with a heavier car and a looser suspension like this?

- Other than Autocross, I like to play with the late night highway competition locally. I see a lot of stuff about superchargers for our cars. Is turboing out of the question, or is everyone just getting superchargers because TRD has them?
SeanJohn0716
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby xsolara33x » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:15 pm

welcome to the forums man...
you have a gen 1
you can find the trd kit on ebay now... there's a link in the for sale section
we've had a couple guys in here turboing their cars...
good luck... keep searching...
raphael
xsolara33x
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Re: n00b to Solaras

Postby thealkimo » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:26 pm

SeanJohn0716 wrote:- True or False: My car is Gen1 Solara?

- What is the engine code for my engine? Code for the tranny?

- Where can I find a TRD or, any other lip kit? I'm not after the bodykit look, just lips and sides.

- I am an autocross buff. My Mirage was setup for autocross for this season, but it was victim to a bad accident and died before I could run it. Can I expect to see good times in Autocross with a heavier car and a looser suspension like this?

- Other than Autocross, I like to play with the late night highway competition locally. I see a lot of stuff about superchargers for our cars. Is turboing out of the question, or is everyone just getting superchargers because TRD has them?

welcome...i'll answer what i can

-gen 1 are '99-01, gen 1.5 '02-03, gen 2 '04+
-2.2L is 5s-fe, dunno code for tranny
-the gen 1.5 (easy retrofit for gen 1) trd lip kit can be found here:
http://www.zer0.info/solaraguy/viewtopic.php?t=12595&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
-once you stiffen up the suspension with aftermarket struts/springs, or coilovers, trd rear sway bar, ss brake lines, and performance tires you can expect decent times, but will still have trouble achieving competitive times due to the lack of power on straightaways, pulling out of a corner and so forth...
-5s-fe turbo kits are either custom or made by rippmods (if they still exist)
thealkimo
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby NVDIS1 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:45 pm

NVDIS1
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Jai_Jai_Binks » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:50 pm

welcome; the 5sfe may not be the smoothest engines, but they are one of the longest lasting ones. We have members at celicatech with over 300K on the original motors on their 5sfe's. Reading your last line - i hope you didn't mean street racing! :crazyeyes:
Jai_Jai_Binks
Desi SolaraGuy
Desi SolaraGuy

Postby SeanJohn0716 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:16 pm

Of course not, that would be promoting illegal activity :o
SeanJohn0716
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Astro » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:34 pm

Welcome 8)
ImageImage
Lexus lip kit, LED tails, F-Sport Intake, HKS hi-power exhaust, TEIN S-tech springs
Astro
SolaraGuy Professional Racer
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

SeanJohn0716 - 2000 Solara SE - I4 - Columbia, MD

Postby michaels artic frost » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:40 pm

Welcome to the forum Sean. Looks like the members have been very informative in assisting you with your questions, which is great to see :wink: .

Good luck with all your mods and upgrades.

Lates,
Michael 8)
Updated 06/01/12: Michael T's
Updated 06/01/12: JUICED! 232whp 294ft/lbs of torque
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Return to Introductions