[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 2005 Solara SE .... Low on MPG
New and Old SolaraGuy members should post a hello message here to let everyone know who you are. Tell us about your Solara! We want to know.

2005 Solara SE .... Low on MPG

2005 Solara SE .... Low on MPG

Postby Jags » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:58 am

Hello everyone

I am experiencing lower mpg around 17 per gallon. My dealer Had told me to replace air filter around 4 months back. Now I wonder if that is the reason for the lower mileage.

When I took out the Air filter by myself, it was not black or very dirty. It looked fine to me. But again I can not comment about the pores of that air filter.

Please help me to resolve my lowered mpg issue.

I bought K&N engineering filter but it does not fit correctly in that air filter pocket.

Now I am unsure about the spark plugs and fuel filter too.

I believe that though i have entire city driving the mpg is still low considering only 85000 miles on my car.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Jags
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: 2005 Solara SE .... Low on MPG

Postby GzNutz » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:04 am

Do you have the v6 or I4? Where are you located? What mileage have you previously been experiencing and where do you think your 17mpg's should be at?
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Jags » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:01 pm

I am expecting around 21 as I have Four cylinder Solara.

I am located in Atlanta downtown
Jags
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby DSM_Lara » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:05 pm

As we say in Hawaii "E Komo Mai" Image to Solaraguy.
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 (TRD Edition) Rare Greddy EvoII/CP-E Intake/Renova Grill/Black Housing Front/OEM Hood Deflector :kp: :spam3: :spam1:Musubi
DSM_Lara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby mig0s » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:40 pm

Ask DriDed he'll tell you how to get high mpg
1999 V6 5-Speed... so beautiful :' )
Black housing headlights, corner. 55w 6k HID, 2500k fogs, TWM Short Shifter+weighted knob, Tein+KYB, TRD lip kit + Acura CL type-S front lip. TSW Kyalami 18x8. Cutom 2.5" SS free flow muffler.
mig0s
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DriDed » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:54 pm

Jags wrote:Hello everyone

I am experiencing lower mpg around 17 per gallon. My dealer Had told me to replace air filter around 4 months back. Now I wonder if that is the reason for the lower mileage.

When I took out the Air filter by myself, it was not black or very dirty. It looked fine to me. But again I can not comment about the pores of that air filter.

Please help me to resolve my lowered mpg issue.

I bought K&N engineering filter but it does not fit correctly in that air filter pocket.

Now I am unsure about the spark plugs and fuel filter too.

I believe that though i have entire city driving the mpg is still low considering only 85000 miles on my car.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I don't think we have to change the fuel filters, at least thats what my dad told me. You should check the dipstick to see if the car needs an oil change. The spark plugs usually last over 100k if I am not mistaken, I used to have a 95 Civic that had the spark plugs changed at 110k.

A dirty air filter will lower the mpg but not by much unless it looked like it was painted black.

Most of the time when people get bad gas milage, it is due to their driving style. Are you a lead foot and hard braker?

I can be a lead foot but still get reasonably good gas milages (27 mpg in all city with lots of AC) because I coast (with the car in gear and engine on) to stops when I can do so safetly....coasting will get you those good gas milages.

Welcome to SG!
2004 Toyota Solara SE (2az-fe) automatic
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
+Pioneer DEH 2200 UB headunit
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby ThurzNite » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:47 pm

I just changed my fuel filter at 210k... still looks good. Don't bother w/the fuel filter.

17mpg sounds seriously wrong. Even if your check engine light isn't on, get it read, see if there's anything pending.

Since it's easy to access the spark plugs on an i4, take them out and check them.

Also, take a peek at your coolant, see if there's any oil floating on top.

I'm doing a cycle of auto-rx, and looks like i'm gaining 2mpg. Might be worth a try, and while you're at it, throw in a whole bottle of seafoam into your gas. 1/2 the members in this forum won't agree with this paragraph, so do your research.

Dr J
ThurzNite
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Introductions