[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Hellooo Another Newbie
New and Old SolaraGuy members should post a hello message here to let everyone know who you are. Tell us about your Solara! We want to know.

Hellooo Another Newbie

Hellooo Another Newbie

Postby nguyenSTX » Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:14 am

Hello everybody

I finally bought my first car! I couldn't afford a 04 new one, or a low mile used one, so is settle for a Silverstream SE 4-cycl 99 Auto with 82K miles ($7,400) on it. But i still love it, it's smooth and engine is so quite compared to other cars.

It's a major step up from my parents 86 Corolla i had in highschool. Since then i had (and still do) a Kawasaki Ninja 250R "aka Baby Ninja" :D

i've only been surfing through the site for a lil while now but i've found a lot of great info. Anyone know how to get more power without making is sound like a "Punk Civic"??
1999 Toyota Solara SE 4 cyl 5s-fe Auto
nguyenSTX
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby DavPak » Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:14 am

welcome to the forums!
'02 Solara S/C'ed V6 5-spd
DavPak
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby JoeB » Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:59 am

Welcome! I remember when I was pleased that my car ws very quiet and the automatic shifted smooth as glass. Now I love to hear the low roar and wish for a stick-shift! I guess I'll be settling for a torque converter upgrade. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised that as you modify the exhaust on our car, it doesn't make that Honda sound (like a mouse fart in a tin can). Enjoy reading through the forums and use the search function, most questions to do with getting started on power have already been asked and answered a couple times. Look in the Aftermarket-Upgrades and Do-It-Yourself sections. Also, don't forget the Guidelines and FAQ section. If you still can't find it, ask. There is a good chance someone here has done what you want to do or knows something about it. -JoeB
JoeB
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby krook » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:59 am

welcome to the boards! Joe pretty much covered it all up and i'd just like to reiterate his suggestion of the search. it can be realllllll helpful...
krook
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Re: Hellooo Another Newbie

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:10 am

nguyenSTX wrote:Anyone know how to get more power without making is sound like a "Punk Civic"??

Cheap easy mod... k&n drop-in replacement air filter (or intake... but the drop in give an overall gain, as opposed to the intake only giving high end gains and losing low end power)

There's a turbo kit out there for your engine (your engine code is 5S-FE), but it's probably more than you'd want to spend right now lol.

Good luck and welcome to the boards!
1GR-FE ftw!
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby JoeB » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:59 am

Actually the K&N drop in air filter exhibits similar qualities to the short-ram intake mods like Injen or RMM, just on a smaller scale. The overall gain by the drop in filter is overall across temperature ranges rather than torque/hp. Because the stock air box draws it's source of air from outside the engine compartment, it sucks in a lower/more constant temperature air vs getting air that is heated in the engine compartment. The cooler air gives the engine more power. The drop in does give some performance improvement because it allows more air in than the stock filter but not as much air as a short-ram intake kit. As you allow more air in, you will loose some of the low-end torque but will gain high-end hp. So, the drop in air filter will allow more consistant hp and preserve a little more of the low-end torque but will not allow as much high-end hp to be produced as the short-ram intake. Of corse after you cross some temperature (?) in the engine compartment, the short-ram will perform worse. Many of us are just dying to get a good CAI (cold air intake) when one is made available (see post in Aftermarket Upgrades XERD product pictures). Hope it helps, -JoeB
JoeB
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby happy_aggies » Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:07 am

Welcome! :D
'99 Autumn Red Solara SE Auto S/C 1MZ-FE w/ JIC Exhaust
http://www.cardomain.com/id/happy_aggies
happy_aggies
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Return to Introductions