[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Time for something 12 degrees Different (56k No No)
New and Old SolaraGuy members should post a hello message here to let everyone know who you are. Tell us about your Solara! We want to know.

Time for something 12 degrees Different (56k No No)

Time for something 12 degrees Different (56k No No)

Postby ACProductions » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:17 pm

Hello all! (PREPARE FOR A NOVEL!!!!)

My name is Amir and I'm a long time lurker of this site and have finally decided to make a thread. I was holding off making a thread earlier so I could show more progress on the Lara. Alas being a broke ass student one can only do so much.

Some of my history. I've been into cars for about 7 years now (I'm 22). I went through all the stages, ricer, know it all, ghetto rigging mechanic, and now after all my learning (mostly through mistakes) I'm finally here.

I come from the Honda Scene, more specifically the Honda Prelude. I've had about 6 or 7 over the years and well, I wanted to try something different and a little more unique.

I don't have much experience with modding Solaras. In fact the only experience I do have is rocking the parents 97 Camry V6. Man o man did I use to abuse that thing, in a loving manner of course. I tinkered with it, adjusting things like the Throttle kickdown cable for harder shifts, or smoothing the edges on the manifold valve, eventually I went on to stick a 50 shot and shortly after ruined the transmission.

I tend to ramble a lot so bear with me, I'm almost done.

ANYWAYS, the time I spent with my parents Camry, truly inspired me to do something with that car. I was planning on a TRD supercharger and a Manual swap but the Car had to go to my brother. The upside of that trade was that I happen to stumble across my current Solara.

She hasn't been named yet but here she is. 2001 Toyota Solara SE

The day I picked her up after a gooooooooooooooooooooood cleaning
She was wicked wicked wicked dirty, inside and out, the inside was greasy, almost like it was part of the interior. No before pics

SO I got to work, I had to pass the Maryland Inspection and the car needed some much needed TLC. Full Tune-up, full brake job, and some lighting issues.

First off
Problem: Hazy Headlights
Solution: 3M headlight restoration kit

Wicked hazy

Wicked Clean

It's a night and day difference

Next Problem: Car runs like shite
Solution: Tune-up!
I am in the process of making a write up for tune up so stay tuned!

Nothing like getting a big box of parts. Puts a smile on my face errytime

Old SHITE dual prong plug

New Delicious Iridium

Old nasty PCV

New NGK Wires

Also done but not pictured: Oil change w/ a can of 6 cyl Restore, Air Filter, and Fuel Filter (yeah yeah I know)

NEXT PROBLEM!: Car won't heat the hell up
Solution: Change thermostat, hoses, and fans (not necessary but I had them) (Also trying to make a write-up)

That top THING was what was in the car. Bottom is the new thermostat

The 2 12inch slimfans I had sitting around after my last Prelude build. Sure the size is wicked different but I figure the higher CFM flow of the slim fans would make up for their smaller size

I ran into some issues here since I wanted to keep the factory plug and the pins on the fan were too big to work in the stock plug so I had to go through the hassle of de pinning the old fan connectors, re-soldering them, and re-fitting them into the stock connector.

Let me tell you, that was THE BIGGEST PAIN IN MY ASSHOLE. Seriously. End result? I only got the one fan wired up. The a/c fan can wait

Here are some misc pics when I was working on it.

Midway between putting on new brakes and fixing the strut mount

Yay! Shiny new rotors! Lifetime warranty too! :D

"Hey Amir, why is the back seat out?" Well friendly inquisitor, I had your classic rear end knocking noise, which I knew to be the sway bar links. Except they were tight, same with the bushings sooooooo I diagnosed it and turns out it was the Pass Rear Strut Mount. WHAT A BITCH! I had to take out the entire rear just to get to those 3 little bolts.

Midway through the brake job I had the rear caliper slide pin seize in the bracket and break off. yaaaaaayyyyyy :bad-words: So I had to salvage a spare bracket from the junkyard.

Naturally lady luck decided to take a crap on my chest and after I finished up the rear brake, I moved to the front only to find that both front calipers are SEIZED!!!! BITCHY CUNT MC BALLSACK. ANYWHOS I rebuilt both front (thank god they were in a good enough condition) and got that all done.

Last problem: Half of the interior lights are busted
Solution: LED interior!! ( Also planning on making a write-up for this too)

Before:

After:

You may notice the fuel gauge light came out kinda blue (if you're wondering I used 6 SMD bulbs for the 194 main lighting and regular LEDs for the 74 warning lights)

Gotta get that fixed.

Managed to do 2 outta the 3 switches and the dials. The A/C switch requires soldering and I need steadier hands than my own not to screw it up. (The small wedges for the switches were single SMDs and the backlighting for the Dials were 3 bulb LEDs)

Also did the dome and front map light (6 SMD for the dome light and 20 SMD for the map light)

Also not pictured I did the trunk, glove box, ashtray, and cig lighter light.
Left to do?: All exterior lighting

But yeah. So thats kinda where I am.
My future plans include:
-TRD Supercharger (to be determined (I need to figure out if the motor can handle it))
-Kaminari Lip kit
-Rota P45-R Gunmetal Wheels (I was originally thinking 17's but decided they won't fit this big ass car. Maybe 18's)
-Tokico Hp Blues with Tein S Tech Springs
-OBX Exhaust
-OBX Headers
-NGK o2 Sensor CEL eliminator
-Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel
-ACT Stage 1 Clutch Kit
-Apexi SAFC II
-TWM Short Shifter
and to top it off a rather impressive Audio upgrade (Still in the planning stages)

I look forward to getting to know you guys and this community better over time. It seems a little dead (no offense) but with dedicated members like you guys I'm sure life will come back.

If you read all of this KUDOS! and thank you
FREE CHILTON MANUAL

The speed at which a woman says "nothing" when you ask her what's wrong is inversely proportional to the size of the coming storm.

ACProductions
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Time for something 12 degrees Different (56k No No)

Postby ACProductions » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:26 pm

Oh I forgot to add that I am modifying my grille to more resemble the TRD Sex grille.

Whoops. Accidentally cut the edge of it...All the way through :oops:

Next Step is I'm looking for a suitable backing. I was thinking of cutting and modifying the honey comb grille you find on Crown Vics or maybe some thicker screen like stuff.

And then some good ole black plastidip
FREE CHILTON MANUAL

The speed at which a woman says "nothing" when you ask her what's wrong is inversely proportional to the size of the coming storm.

ACProductions
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:32 pm

oh man i love threads like these. welcome and great job so far.
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby ACProductions » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:59 pm

Thanks man. It's going to be a slow thread until I can find a job (this is the 7th straight month I've been on the hunt)

Love your murdered out 2nd Gen. crap is cleeaaaaaannnnnnnnn
FREE CHILTON MANUAL

ACProductions
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 1gSE » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:00 pm

DWP FTW!!! nice work!!!! Glad to see new guys coming along that are mechanically inclined. I think there's still a supercharger or 2 for sale. How many miles are on the car? I put mine on at 167k and I'm just a little over 175k now and those have been some abusive miles. The only time my car doesn't hit full boost is when its parked. Just some fyi about the TWM shifter, don't spend the money on the cable bushings. Either they dont have the right ones or they think the Celica bushings are the same because thats what they sent me. Get the SpeedSource bushings. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the work. Welcome!
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby ThatVietGuy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:32 pm

Wow, someone that actually knows what he's doing.

Welcome, you're a rarity these days :drinking:
ThatVietGuy
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby ACProductions » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:34 pm

I'm just gonna take a guess at DWP....Diamond White Pearl? Sounds right.

She has 136k miles on her right now, but she's been through some rough owners and at idle she has a funny kinda knocking noise, reaaallll light but it bothers the living shite outta me. Pulls fine though. I plan on running a compression test to make she's alright and hopefully with a couple more strict oil changes/ switching to synthetic, she'll be dandy.

Judging by what I've read, the TRD charger on the stock pulley should do fine as it isn't all that much boost.

As for the shifter bushings, I was going to have a friend machine some aluminum ones instead. I never trust the extra add ons they include with parts anyways.

It's still in the air, either i'll spend the 3,000ish on a rebuild with forged pistons and some cams or toss on the charger.

Thank you for the words. I've been creeping on your solara now too for a minute and me rikey. I hope to attain the level of bitching that you guys got going on. It'll be slow work but all in due time. I feel like the general issue with a lot of beginners is that they don't realize building and modifying a car takes a llllllllllllllooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggg time.
FREE CHILTON MANUAL

ACProductions
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 1gSE » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:32 pm

Correct,dwp = diamond white pearl. I don't know if you'll find a blower with a stock pulley on it, but a replacement isn't hard to find. If you go for a rebuild, Gabe (trd4life) can hook you up with everything you need. I definitely agree with the last sentence. This isn't one of those platforms where you can just run to walmart and find parts for, but not having a big aftermarket is half the fun when you make other drivers do a double take.

OT: What year Prelude did you have? A while back a friend of mine had a 4th gen si. He had a jdm h22 swap, with bolt-ons, quite a bit of headwork and kept the si tranny. I personally took that thing over 8k rpm and it made me fall in love with honda all over again
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby ACProductions » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:05 pm

Yeah from what I've seen Gabe is the man to get the stuff done around here. I specifically chose the solara because I wanted to be really really unique, and while I'm not doing anything crazy (yet) It will still be something people have never seen.

Ahh preludes. What didn't I have lol.
I had a:
1988 2.0 Si
1989 2.0 Si with a H22
1989 2.0 Si 4 Wheel Steering
1992 Si H23
1994 Si H23 Boosted

Yeahhhhh I had a buttload of them. They really are, as I feel it, a premier breed of Honda. Predecessor to the S2K, little brother of the 1st gen Nsx and with the best technology Honda had + One of their best handling cars.

Don't want to distract too much from the Laras but here are a some pics. I woulda had more but the rest are on my facebook and I closed that down

Lude next to the Camry

And one more of the Camry
FREE CHILTON MANUAL

ACProductions
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby GzNutz » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:58 pm

Welcome to SG!
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby DSM_Lara » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:20 pm

As we say in Hawaii "E Komo Mai" Image to Solaraguy.
I like this guy already. =D
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 (TRD Edition) Rare Greddy EvoII/CP-E Intake/Renova Grill/Black Housing Front/OEM Hood Deflector :kp: :spam3: :spam1:Musubi
DSM_Lara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby ACProductions » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:39 pm

Thank you guys so much. Seriously, I mean it, you guys are awesome and I thank you for that. Lara and Nutz, both of you have amazingly clean, sick rides. Lots of love there.

Soooo I've been looking more and more for an acceptable looking backing for my grille. Now I definitely don't want to use chicken wire or screen stuff so naturally I looked at other grilles to see if any had a good pattern to use. I'm kinda leaning towards a crown vic grille to chop and put in mine.

Last edited by ACProductions on Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FREE CHILTON MANUAL

ACProductions
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 1gSE » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:42 pm

holy huge pic!!! lol. I'd like to see it. Are you planning on paint matching it or you'd keep it black?
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby ACProductions » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:55 pm

I plan on black for now, and then Gunmetal Grey with some flake in it. I also want to tint the tail lights the same way as the ones Dsmlara has, where the reverse light is untouched.

I'm still trying to decide on the color scheme for the car. Here are the ideas I've been throwing around

Whiteout - white on white on white
Panda -White with lightly smoked out headlights, tinted tail lights. 20% black tiny on the windows, black wheels, and black grille and maybe black emblems.
Caution - White with Traffic Cone orange grille (just the edge not the grille backing) Orange on the calipers and possibly orange badges

OR
and this is the one I'm kinda leaning towards

No badges, lightly smoked headlights, yellow tinted fogs, tinted tail lights, Black grille, Gunmetal grey on the wheels, gold calipers, and 20% black or grey tiny all the way around. Oh and maybe blacking out the side mirror shells
FREE CHILTON MANUAL

ACProductions
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ACProductions » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:59 pm

There, edited the picture. Not the exact grille but the backing is the exact style that you find on P71 Crown Interceptors
FREE CHILTON MANUAL

ACProductions
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Next

Return to Introductions