[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Time for something 12 degrees Different (56k No No)
New and Old SolaraGuy members should post a hello message here to let everyone know who you are. Tell us about your Solara! We want to know.

Time for something 12 degrees Different (56k No No)

Re: Time for something 12 degrees Different (56k No No)

Postby Brandoe91 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:11 am

Welcome to solaraguy. Looking good so far.I am thinking of doing a custom grill 2 .. What did you use to cut out the grill?
TRD S/C 6psi - OBX Full Exhaust - Injen intake ( 226whp untuned).

New Setup - 3mzfe - obx full exhaust - aem fic - innovate mtx-l wideband - Cpe intake. (Estimated 220whp) dyno numbers coming soon.
Brandoe91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby mig0s » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:17 am

wow good progress youve done on your solara! always a good thing to fix the broken and to do a tune up before going with aftermarket parts. you gotta nice 5 speed there. take care of her make her look good and keep us updated!
1999 V6 5-Speed... so beautiful :' )
Black housing headlights, corner. 55w 6k HID, 2500k fogs, TWM Short Shifter+weighted knob, Tein+KYB, TRD lip kit + Acura CL type-S front lip. TSW Kyalami 18x8. Cutom 2.5" SS free flow muffler.
mig0s
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jabraltar » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:11 pm

Best. Introduction. Ever. But really, welcome to SG (officially) :lol:

I cut out my grille the exact same way and it was such a bitch...so much sanding and filing but it is definitely way better than dropping a couple hundred on the Renova (if you're lucky enough to find one). I just used a mesh screen insert from an auto body shop and other than the paint flaking off every now and again, it has held up perfect. Keep us posted on what you do with it!
Gen 1:Custom stainless catback exhaust,Injen SRI..NGK Iridium plugs,2 10'' Kicker subs in Kicker box,Alpine door speakers, Kicker rear deck speakers,Pioneer amp,18'', Pioneer H/U, Icon rims with Falken tires,HID's,LED everything
Jabraltar
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ACProductions » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:33 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, you definitely know how to make the Brolara feel welcome.

Brandoe: I pretty much used wire cutters, a file, a ton of sand paper, and a grinding stone chuck for my drill. It's not hard, just tedious.

Migs: Yeah, I've learned the hard way, thats how you do it. If you're going to do it, do it right the first time.

Jabraltar: Yeah dude, took me forever with shite tools. My only worry with mesh screen is it's strength. I don't want an flex or anything that might cause paint to flake
FREE CHILTON MANUAL

The speed at which a woman says "nothing" when you ask her what's wrong is inversely proportional to the size of the coming storm.

ACProductions
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ACProductions » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:31 pm

Thought you guys might enjoy some humorous old videos of me and the rent's Camry

Me and my buddies were bored at the races one day so we decided to line up the slower cars against each other

Here is a video where I race a Sentra SE-R (Yeah I know lol) He won the first one because I accidentally knocked it into netural. Also please forgive my friends terrible video recording

Here is a top speed run I did with the car way back when

A small quick burnout. I had a video of one where I roasted new tires in one go, but alas I can't find it
FREE CHILTON MANUAL

The speed at which a woman says "nothing" when you ask her what's wrong is inversely proportional to the size of the coming storm.

ACProductions
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Jabraltar » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:59 pm

LMFAO at the burnout
Gen 1:Custom stainless catback exhaust,Injen SRI..NGK Iridium plugs,2 10'' Kicker subs in Kicker box,Alpine door speakers, Kicker rear deck speakers,Pioneer amp,18'', Pioneer H/U, Icon rims with Falken tires,HID's,LED everything
Jabraltar
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby NVDIS1 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:25 pm

welcome aboard and nice progress on the ride!
Gen1 - modded a lil
05 Gti- Apr Stage 1-R1 Dv-badglss-coils-hids-Gr8 plates-endlinks-bosr'd-shav'd-R32 projectors-orange 18s-stretch'd tires-20th lip-dronemble
NVDIS1
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Down2TheC » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Puttin' in the hours! Sounds like you'll be flooding the Tutorials section soon. Welcome.
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby ACProductions » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:48 pm

Thank ye all for the kind welcomes.

Trashed my write ups in favor of videos as I can explain things better so look forward to those. I promise to make them neat and super easy for teh newbies to follow.

As for the car, haven't done much yet as I'm still trying to find a job to feed the beast.

She had 2 codes. Bank 2 HO2S and a Post Cat O2 and I have emissions coming up here soon so I adventured off to the junkyard and pulled practically all the Bank 1 HO2 Sensors they had. From the 1mz's of course. Alas it seems all the post O2's had been cut and I don't want to have to solder them back together again and risk altering the voltage readings.

So I replaced the Bank 2 Sensor, reset the car, and checked the code a day later. It only pulled the Post O2 so Mission accomplished for that part.

For the Post O2 I plan on removing it, and soaking it in gasoline for a couple of days, as I've had some success with that before. Assuming of course that the plug isn't THAT fubard

Ummm. I got her debaged finally and gave her one last wash before winter. Which I'll admit was kinda depressing, because after doing a rather thorough and meticulous wash, TWICE, there are still stains in the paint and a crap load of minor level imperfections. I was debating giving her a clay bar but I figured before winter would be kind of worthless so I'll hold out till after winter.

Of course now I'm trying to think if I should just repaint her if the clay bar still doesn't work. Repainting in favor of wetsanding it. We'll see how this winter goes.

Upon further driving of the car I've noticed massive body roll and a spongy feeling in the suspension, more so than my old camry so I took a look at the struts and well...I wish I hadn't. They aren't leaking atrociously, I'd estimate they have maybe, 20% life in them. For now I'll deal with the Cadillac-type ride till I can get my hands on a tein/tokico combo.

Hmmmmm what else....

Oh yeah, I've been getting rather terrible mileage, less than 20 city avg, and granted I have a stiff foot, I don't take her above 3k too often. Right now I'm chocking the mileage up to the shite O2 but I get the looming suspicion that it's more than that. I figure I'll give her another Seafoam down the manifold and some 44k in the gas tank and see if that doesn't help. If not, well then I'll have to do a compression test and figure out where she sits in terms of health.

Guess that's it for now. Pics up later
FREE CHILTON MANUAL

ACProductions
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby KingKevin » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:04 pm

WOW... Havent been on here for a long time and this is kinda an old thread, but I wanted to say welcome too. You seem like you really know what youre doing. Keep up the good job and I'll be looking forward to your tutorial videos for "teh noobs" (thats me) :P
2001 SE V6

Injen intake w/ extension - Renova Grill - custom catback exhaust - 2 12" Kenwood subs - Tein s tech - neons - 8000k headlights - 3000k fogs
KingKevin
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ACProductions » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:17 pm

Well it has been sometime since I've updated this. Not a whole lot to report since I'm still broke, cold, jobless, and lazy. Fuckall right? Anyways. Like I said, not a whole lot done. Pretty much whatever I could do for under 10 bucks.

The bad:
-Motor has a slightly louder soft "Cluck" noise. Not quite a clunk, and not quite a knock, only really at idle. Still haven't got around to doing a compression test on the motor yet .

As it stands I'm still debating between going for Dupercharger or spending the money on doing a rebuild, because mannnnnn I don't know. I just feel like this motor is sluggish.

-Next, the Pass rear shock has completely Hari Kari'd on me, the other are at about 15% and degrading. So now I have a verrrrrryyyy loose and Cadillac-esqe ride.

-I BELIEVE that my lower rear control arm has shite bushings thusly giving the rear end varying camber when it bounces over bumps, wish is normally not a concern unless I'm cornering. However coupled with the over springy suspension, when I corner and hit some small bumps with the weight transferring to the outside the rear end gets all 10 screw kinds of squirrelly. I have even had the ass kick out on me on a tighter 30mph corner.

So yeah... The suspension is my biggest concern for right now.

-Finally my last current issue, and this is a small one, is my notchy, stiff, gears. I still have a 4th gear scratch, which for the time is very small because it only does it above 3k and only when you shift fast. It's very stiff and resistant when the temp is below 40 degrees, which is rather troublesome to me. My plan? $150 trans fluid change. 5qts of Mobil 1 75w-90 for anywhere from 2-4 weeks to facilitate cleaning and then 5 qts of Royal Purple.

So enough of my gripping. What have I done with the car? Oh not much. Finally Panda'd the headlights, tried and failed to do my side corners and plastidipped my rims for the winter.

AND HERES SOME PHOTOS!

My fail attempt at painting side corners

So what had happened was that I had used Silicone Gasket Adhesive to reattach the lens back on, and well...I guess it needs more than 6 hours cure time because at 60 on I-95 it flew the screw off.

My panda eyes

Nooooo badges! YUM!

Sooooo that's all to report for now. Stay tuned...I guess...I don't really care either way
FREE CHILTON MANUAL

ACProductions
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby KingKevin » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:56 pm

I like the plasti-dip rims. I know stevesolara did them too. They look great.
2001 SE V6

Injen intake w/ extension - Renova Grill - custom catback exhaust - 2 12" Kenwood subs - Tein s tech - neons - 8000k headlights - 3000k fogs
KingKevin
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ACProductions » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:23 pm

Yeah, looked way better than the peeling scratched aluminum.

I need to do another coat just to really bring out the imperfections but I'm waiting to get the wheels rebalanced before that
FREE CHILTON MANUAL

ACProductions
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Previous

Return to Introductions