[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - New Guy from Houston
New and Old SolaraGuy members should post a hello message here to let everyone know who you are. Tell us about your Solara! We want to know.

New Guy from Houston

New Guy from Houston

Postby kdmac015 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:29 am

Hey everyone, as the title says, I'm new here. Thought i'd post up. Now I do not know much about cars, since i have a 08 Tundra, but my girlfriend has a 04 solara, I think lunar mist(silver) v6. That puppy is sweet. It's fast too. Anyway, she's wanting to do hids(55w 8k lows, and 35w 6k fogs), black housing headlights, and a possible drop. So pics will go up as I do it all.
IDK if angel eyes are a possibilty, but she saw one solara with black housing angel eyes and fell in love. I'm searching all day and night for 'em but nothing. She likes the led style tail lights too so I was going to try and do 08 tail lights for her. And if she still wants the drop, do eibach 1.5'' drop springs with stock struts for now until new struts are needed. Still doing research on those.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I have a 08 Tundra so I know about truck parts. I am just getting back into tuners.

Thanks in advanced.
'04 Solara sle V6
'08 Tundra Limited 5.7L--- leveled, glasspacks, and more to come.
kdmac015
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: New Guy from Houston

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:42 am

what it do. haven't seen angel eyes on a gen 2 yet but HIDs is easy. there's a recent tutorial out there by gznutz on black housing headlights so i'm sure doing a quick search will yield results. welcome to the forums!
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby kdmac015 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:36 am

Thanks man. Ive seen the BHLM on this forum and Tundra forums, but I'm i bit afraid to do it. I'll get some froma junkyard and try it out first to see how it goes. Your car is nice. I've been seeing pictures here and there of yours. nicely done.

Hear anything about whos better between eibach and tein? She was thinking trd springs, but wanted a little bit more.
'04 Solara sle V6
kdmac015
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SteveSolara » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:22 pm

Welcome to SG Buddy, If you need anything just ask we will be glad to help. I'm not so sure about angle eyes, never seen one for the 06 model. But yeah HIDs are easier to find, www.vvme.com is a great site thats where i got mine
Image Image
SteveSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby kdmac015 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:01 pm

This site is awesome, such nice people haha. On the truck forums, people always argue. What about intakes and exhausts? We both hate ricey sounding exhaust. She doesnt really want one, but im looking for better flow and slight mpg/power gains. So anything that is close if not same sounding as stock, but when you floor it, it has a nice deep rumble to it. And was looking at injen short rams. Any thoughts?
'04 Solara sle V6
kdmac015
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SteveSolara » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:21 pm

kdmac015 wrote:This site is awesome, such nice people haha. On the truck forums, people always argue. What about intakes and exhausts? We both hate ricey sounding exhaust. She doesnt really want one, but im looking for better flow and slight mpg/power gains. So anything that is close if not same sounding as stock, but when you floor it, it has a nice deep rumble to it. And was looking at injen short rams. Any thoughts?

Hmm aftermarket exhaust to sound like stock? Whats the point...hehhehe But if you dont want it to be LOUD than you can just slap a muffler on it, a rather quiet but less restrictive than stock will do. short ram intake is fun, but will hurt your MPG a little.

I have a video of my car with Short Ram and just a Muffler wielded onto stock piping. Its a Apexi N1 Style Hi-Flow Muffler. But if its too loud you can get just the regular one, not high flow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdjuSj5Qr2I
Image Image
SteveSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby kdmac015 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:26 am

Hahaha. I'm with you on that, I'm looking to make my tundra real nice and loud. But shes not too keen on loud exhausts. But that sounds nice, not too loud. I'll look into it. Thanks man.
'04 Solara sle V6
kdmac015
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SteveSolara » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:23 am

NP buddy, Just an after market muffler will do, only sounds loud when you step on it :)
Image Image
SteveSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby kdmac015 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:01 am

Exactly what I'm looking for. Something to make it breathe better without it really loud. And since ram air will mess with mpg, would a CAI be better? I know its odd, more mpg for a solara? It already gets mid 20s, but I'm trying to make it the best car possible for her, and add a little get up and go. She loves to hit it when she can.

I'm thinking, once my Tundra is paid off, I may try and get a 1st gen. solara and tune it out. I'm on the edge of that, a subaru outback (always wanted one), or a classic muscle. we'll see how it pans out.
'04 Solara sle V6
kdmac015
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SteveSolara » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:29 am

Wow mid 20s on MPG, thats better than the 1st gen LOL. Short Ram Intake is better for Lower RPMs and CAI is better for Higher RPMs. I would go with short ram intake, because she will prob be driving normally most of the time, but if she want to go it will sound and perform well. Hmm an Outback? Why not a WRX impreza or STi? They were always my favorite cars Subarus in general. So yeah, Good luck to you buddy
Image Image
SteveSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby kdmac015 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:01 pm

Ya, I was impressed with the mpgs. But we did just get everything cleaned, new fuel filter, cleaned throttle body, etc etc.So I'm expecting it to go down some. And ok, we wont be doing much long distance driving, we save my truck for that. And my original choice was the wrx, but too many high schoolers are getting them around my town. And theyre just getting old here. I rarely ever see and outback, or legacy. Plus it has more room for my little sister and her ice skating stuff, and my two dogs. Iw ant people to see it and not expect me to fly off the line or anything. Thanks man, I'm ordering her HIDs as we speak, springs will be next paycheck probably.
'04 Solara sle V6
kdmac015
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SteveSolara » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:57 pm

Sweet!! And yeah i totally agree on the wrxs there are too many of them here too, but got to love the rumble of the boxer motor. :) And yeah i'd prob go for a Forester too, the practicality of a SUV, but the motor of a sports car. What can get better than that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNiwrB0A ... plpp_video
Image Image
SteveSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby kdmac015 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:44 pm

Ya, a WRX with the Crawford Racing exhaust. Oh man it would be hard for me to walk away from that...if I could. There's a guy with a forester where my little sister goes to ice skate. He has that sucker slammed, loud exhaust, turbo, CAI, headers, everything. It is freaking sweet. All scoobys are sweet, I find myself even liking the BAJA of all cars hahaha. Just something about a subaru.

BTW, got 55w 8k lows, and 35w 6k fogs. I'm gonna have to order new assemblies as well cuz they're oxidized out the @$$. I cleaned them a month ago but no luck.
'04 Solara sle V6
kdmac015
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SteveSolara » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:42 am

Yeah i Love the Baja too, that thin is beast, all subarus are hahaha. dont order new ones, just use a buffer and compound polish and buff the crap out of it and it will look brand new. its only the surface of the lens, so it will come out.
Image Image
SteveSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby kdmac015 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:18 am

which buffer and compund do you recommend? I used the turtle wax lens cleaner last time and it lasted a week. Was thinking about getting new/newer ones, trying the BHLM, and putting 3M protective vinyl on it, the clear stuff.
'04 Solara sle V6
kdmac015
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Next

Return to Introductions