[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - SolaraGuy Travels(Post up any trips you have in THIS thread)
SolaraGuy, Solara, and/or Camry events. Post your event listings here!

SolaraGuy Travels(Post up any trips you have in THIS thread)

Postby Taido » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:55 pm

Taido wrote:Just an update. My last day in Charleston will most likely be the 28th of February. The weather looks clear enough to use the same route (linked) as last time. I stopped at Donnie's (Nashville, TN area. Thanks again for that.) on the first night and then for the 2nd night I stopped at a rest stop around the Topeka, KS area for a quick power nap. So if anyone is around there (as in a few miles off the highway and within a few hours of Topeka along the route) and will let me at least park at their house or whatever it'd be much appreciated.

Or if you're anywhere in between I'd love to stop by and hang out for a bit I'm open to w/e.
'06 Black Cherry Pearl tC inherited the headunit and subs so far...
'04 2AZ-FE Lunar Mist Metallic Solara SE (Totaled)
Taido
Audiophiliac
Audiophiliac

Postby QuickSEV6 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:46 am

This posting is way early, but I thought I'd just give you all an idea of what I am going to do.

I am going on a serious roadtrip. It has been on my bucket list to see the northern lights (aurora borealis) and I plan to do so.

Living in Texas, I don't have much chance of seeing it, so I'm going on a roadtrip up north. WAY up north. I'm planning on driving to Fairbanks Alaska. Everyone I tell this to says that I'm crazy. That I should just get an airline ticket and save a bunch of time. I can't explain it, but I just really want to drive it. I probably wont drive the Solara. I'll probably rent a car and I'm scheduling 3 weeks for the entire trip.
I'm planning this for April or May of 2011.
The major cities I'll go though:
Albuquerque NM
Salt Lake City UT
Reno NV
Portland OR
Seattle WA
Fairbanks and vicinity (to include seeing Mt McKinley - maybe Anchorage)
On the way back, I will take a slightly different route.
Merced CA
Bakersfield CA
Las Vegas NV (going to see Hoover Dam)
Phoenix AZ (going to see the Grand Canyon maybe even check out Tombstone AZ)
Then back to Dallas
I'm not planning on Los Angeles, but if anyone seriously wants to get a meet together, I'd be happy to reroute my drive.
QuickSEV6
Solara Driver Extraordinaire

Re: SolaraGuy Travels(Post up any trips you have in THIS thr

Postby jimmm » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:33 pm

This is a GREAT thread; I'm commenting so that I'll STAY in the loop. :D
Last edited by jimmm on Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 SLE V6 3.3 Desert Sand Mica
jimmm
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re:

Postby crispone » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:40 pm

QuickSEV6 wrote:This posting is way early, but I thought I'd just give you all an idea of what I am going to do.

I am going on a serious roadtrip. It has been on my bucket list to see the northern lights (aurora borealis) and I plan to do so.

Living in Texas, I don't have much chance of seeing it, so I'm going on a roadtrip up north. WAY up north. I'm planning on driving to Fairbanks Alaska. Everyone I tell this to says that I'm crazy. That I should just get an airline ticket and save a bunch of time. I can't explain it, but I just really want to drive it. I probably wont drive the Solara. I'll probably rent a car and I'm scheduling 3 weeks for the entire trip.
I'm planning this for April or May of 2011.
The major cities I'll go though:

No DOUBT there is some "crazy" in there somewhere... (by many standards) but really, the ONLY way to really see and appreciate the United States (and ANYWHERE for that matter... but especially our Nation with it's great roads!) is to DRIVE ACROSS the landscape and EXPERIENCE the cities, towns, villages and crossroads throughout! I surely hope you have plenty of film (or memory) and really shoot up a great photo-journal of your travels! This sounds like an EPIC adventure, especially considering the duration and breadth of trip you have planned. I am especially keen to the OBJECTIVE you are setting for the basis... to see the Northern Lights! Great ambition and GREATER plan for execution! Enjoy and a MUST SHARE when you get back, or EVEN along the way if you are able!

Be safe and enjoy your journey!

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby jimmm » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:52 pm

I caught a wonderful show on the History Channel Saturday called The States. Has anyone seen it? It was a full two hours of randomly highlighting the 50 states in ten minute segments showing attractions, giving information about their origins, history, peoples, and so forth. I learned much that I did not know and enjoyed what I already knew. It made me want to hit the road and see it all for myself. I highly recommend it if it's a regular broadcast.
jimmm
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Taido » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:06 pm

In for more info Quick. I'll meet up with you when you stop in Salt Lake. :)

Edit: And my two cents on wanting to drive it, I drove to Utah, from Charleston, and back because I had never gone on a huge road trip like that. I'm sure you have before, but there's just something about driving across the country. Especially in your own car.
'06 Black Cherry Pearl tC inherited the headunit and subs so far...
'04 2AZ-FE Lunar Mist Metallic Solara SE (Totaled)
Taido
Audiophiliac
Audiophiliac

Postby jimmm » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:12 pm

Taido wrote:In for more info Quick. I'll meet up with you when you stop in Salt Lake.

Edit: And my two cents on wanting to drive it, I drove to Utah, from Charleston, and back because I had never gone on a huge road trip like that. I'm sure you have before, but there's just something about driving across the country. Especially in your own car.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So true. My buddy and I drove this 1983 Cutlass Olds from Huntsville, AL to Los Angeles and back in 1995. We stayed in Long Beach and Santa Monica for a whole month and drove everyday we were out there. It remains one of my best road trips going via Tennesse, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona on I-40. I have also driven many times from Alabama to Maine and from Alabama to Key West Florida. It's the only way to see America first hand.
Last edited by jimmm on Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimmm
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby QuickSEV6 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:03 pm

In 2002 I was a truck driver. I have been through all of the continental states except for Montana and Rhode Island.
Never been to Alaska. Thats part of the reason to go.
I love drives like that. So I begining to make my plans now.
QuickSEV6

Postby LEE337 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:09 pm

It would be cool if you found a rental company that had a Gen 2.5 Solara. 8)

or

A new Camry! :D
Texas SolaraGuy Meet
LEE337
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:56 am

Sounds exciting. I just got back about an hour ago from a mini-trip from San Diego (8 hours-ish). If you're hitting up merced and bakersfield you'll probably be passing through san francisco bay area? If so i'll buy you a beer.
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby jimmm » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:26 am

yaddadaimsayin wrote:Sounds exciting. I just got back about an hour ago from a mini-trip from San Diego (8 hours-ish). If you're hitting up merced and bakersfield you'll probably be passing through san francisco bay area? If so i'll buy you a beer.

Now that's the way to do it, David. Although I don't drink anymore, I would join you for a friendly chat and a cup of java.
jimmm
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby QuickSEV6 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:29 am

yaddadaimsayin wrote:If you're hitting up merced and bakersfield you'll probably be passing through san francisco bay area? If so i'll buy you a beer.

How could I pass that up?
I'll take you up on that.
When I was in the Air Force, I was stationed near Merced, I'd like to visit the area again (20 years later), so I'll spend at least a full day there.
QuickSEV6

Postby crispone » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:14 pm

jimmm wrote:
yaddadaimsayin wrote:Sounds exciting. I just got back about an hour ago from a mini-trip from San Diego (8 hours-ish). If you're hitting up merced and bakersfield you'll probably be passing through san francisco bay area? If so i'll buy you a beer.

Now that's the way to do it, David. Although I don't drink anymore, I would join you for a friendly chat and a cup of java.

LOVE the java here! If faced with a choice between BEER and COFFEE, I'd have a VERY difficult time making the cut! When on the road, a cup of Joe is ALWAYS in order for the perk! (I can't function without a morning cup... and often choose to use a French Press as part of my routine in the morning! If you've never used one, I HIGHLY recommend you check one out!)

Longest drives I can remember are Ohio to Clearwater FL and Ohio to Denver and several from Ohio to Kansas (near Wichita) and back (when I attended college down there...) and some runs to Chicago, Milwaukee, and Philadelphia to pick up a motorcycle. Lots of shorter jaunts within a few states... but without ever being "employed" for driving purposes, I've accumulated well over a million miles already some years ago and recently worked out over a hundred thousand on motorcycles... ALL on sport bikes for adrenalin fixes! :D

Oh yeah... a couple OH/GA trips and OH/NC was a run, too... and I guess deep TN and Alabama were good rides... but the 5~6 hour one way every weekend for contract work "commutes" year over year took their toll as they become monotonous and routine. I know truck driving can turn MEGA hauls into the same, I'm sure!

Driving is a staple of the American "Way". :wink:

...and our roads are (mostly) the GREATEST in any country!

LOVE to drive...

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Previous

Return to Events