[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - VVT-i in 99' v6 manual solara
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

VVT-i in 99' v6 manual solara

VVT-i in 99' v6 manual solara

Postby Grnarowana » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:14 pm

I know 99' models does not come w/ vvt-i, however the other model years do. Is it possible to get vvt-i for a 99' solara?

And what doe svvt-i actually do? saves gas? more torque?
Grnarowana
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:32 pm

vvt-i was not available in the Solara V6 until 04.

If you want to add VVT-i, you will have to get a ES 300 ECU and engine "top" for it to function.

VVT-i allows better gas milage, a beefier torque curve and makes your engine sound meaner at certain RPMs... lol
1GR-FE ftw!
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby Grnarowana » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:05 pm

an engine top? I'm guessing this would be like the first step?
Grnarowana
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby StockSolara » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:46 pm

Jackass-Jeff wrote:vvt-i was not available in the Solara V6 until 04.

If you want to add VVT-i, you will have to get a ES 300 ECU and engine "top" for it to function.

VVT-i allows better gas milage, a beefier torque curve and makes your engine sound meaner at certain RPMs... lol

You mean the head?
2001 Toyota Solara SLE V6
2000 Lexus GS400
StockSolara
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:08 pm

StockSolara wrote:

You mean the head?

ya... most people would have taken that as 'head' only... you need the whole top half... head... vvt-i gears, pressure sensors... etc.
1GR-FE ftw!
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby StockSolara » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:59 pm

Jackass-Jeff wrote:
StockSolara wrote:

You mean the head?

ya... most people would have taken that as 'head' only... you need the whole top half... head... vvt-i gears, pressure sensors... etc.

Most people say the word "head" so I was just clarifying it. . . no mean for disrespect
2000 Lexus GS400
StockSolara
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Grnarowana » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:04 pm

....damn...mind as well just S/C the sucker
Grnarowana
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby StockSolara » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:42 am

Grnarowana wrote:....damn...mind as well just S/C the sucker

fa sho
2000 Lexus GS400
StockSolara
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby returnofthedack » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:03 am

yea i had brought up this question and since u cant supercharge the vvt-i i said f*uck it
www.seandackermann.com

The only person that can stop you in life, is yourself
returnofthedack
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby MikeATL » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:38 am

can someone explain how vvt-i actually works?
MikeATL
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby so-cal_sol » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:08 am

returnofthedack wrote:yea i had brought up this question and since u cant supercharge the vvt-i i said f*uck it

yea i heard about people blowing their engine when they put super chargers on their vvt-i
2005 lunar mist metallic se V6
Trenz Grill
Eclipse 2454 HU
TRD springs *DROPT BY MILT*
so-cal_sol
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:01 am

MikeATL wrote:can someone explain how vvt-i actually works?

VVT-i has oil pressure sensors, cam position sensors and various other sensors to monitor engine load, performance and efficiency. The ECU then calculates the best timing retardation to produce better gas mile, torque, emissions and fuel efficiency.

VVT-i CAN be supercharged and turbo charged on LOW BOOST APPLICATIONS if the ECU is reset properly. VVT-i is adaptive to the driver's habits... so if you're a feather foot and usually only hit 2500 RPM, you'll have a grip of torque... if you have a dead-weight foot, then you'll have a little more peak but less torque due to the way it's distributed. (Not a MAJOR difference, but different enough once you have F/I)

VVT-i adjusts the valve timing on the INTAKE camshaft only. Dual VVT-i (seem in the Avalon and GS 300, upcoming on the IS 250/350) has VVT-i functioning on the INTAKE and EXHAUST cams... creating a BMW-like torque curve (BMW has used Double VANOS in their 330, 5-series, etc... definately a good thing!)

VTEC, however, is not variable. It's an ON or OFF situation when the cam shafts open the valves more at high RPMs... letting the engine breathe properly, therefore, creating higher peak numbers. VVT-i was named (i for intelligence) to mock VTEC, as legend has it. LOL... i-VTEC was created but is still not variable... it simply has 2 or 3 levels instead of the previous 1... so Hondas will still have no torque... but save a little more gas =]

VVT-i should promote better gas milage, but most people still drive w/ a dead-weight foot... that's why you usually see grannys in their Camry V6 going somewhat fast if they don't know how to feather it =P Drive by wire makes it hard to feather foot it!
1GR-FE ftw!
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby Mandarinsolara » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:04 am

in other words, go buy an ITR if you are into neato exhaust sounds and going fast
Mandarinsolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby so-cal_sol » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:46 am

Chewbocca wrote:really?

yea, i asked the parts TPC manager at the toyota dealer where i got my solara about getting a supercharger and he said that toyota was placing a hold on superchargers for newer models he said that people with the x-runner tacoma (which has the vvt-i engine) and the tundra (v8) were having problems with the TRD supercharger (wich since its a toyota performance part you can put it under the waranty of your car) so toyota is putting a hold on the supercharger til they can figure out what to do about the problem.
2005 lunar mist metallic se V6
Trenz Grill
Eclipse 2454 HU
TRD springs *DROPT BY MILT*
so-cal_sol
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Next

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5