[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Suspension question
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

Suspension question

Suspension question

Postby adam2562 » Thu Jan 02, 2003 8:03 am

does anyone have a picture of their car with Intrax springs and aftermarket struts... because i need struts but i dont know if it'll lower it as far as i want it to... if not then i'll get coilovers... thanks ... wait a second, do i still need struts with coilovers? or does the assembly come with its own struts?
Adam - 99 V6 5spd 165k -SOLD
adam2562
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Suspension question

Postby Flipside909 » Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:31 am

Adam2562 wrote:does anyone have a picture of their car with Intrax springs and aftermarket struts... because i need struts but i dont know if it'll lower it as far as i want it to... if not then i'll get coilovers... thanks ... wait a second, do i still need struts with coilovers? or does the assembly come with its own struts?

Struts don't lower a car regardless of what anyone says. If you get a real coilover system i.e. JIC Magic, they come with their own shock cartridge.

There are cheap systems out there which are just coilover sleeves. They fit on stock or aftermarket struts but ride quality and reliability is definitely inferior to a real coilover system and even a strut/spring combo. Ground Control makes this setup...but I would discourage anyone from even considering it. ICrazychrisI can tell you. Do a search on it...and you will see what i'm talking about.
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 03, 2003 10:03 am

hey flipside, any idea how low the JIC coilovers can go? I've seen a bazillion posts praising them, but I haven't seen anyone mention how low they can go. I've heard GCs can crank down to over 3" (with no travel left, though) thanks,
jerold

Postby Flipside909 » Fri Jan 03, 2003 12:59 pm

Anonymous wrote:hey flipside, any idea how low the JIC coilovers can go? I've seen a bazillion posts praising them, but I haven't seen anyone mention how low they can go. I've heard GCs can crank down to over 3" (with no travel left, though) thanks,
jerold

I forgot how low...but it gets down to the point where the tires start to tuck under the fender. The FLT-A2 version allows you to lower the car without losing ANY suspension travel. Something cheap coilover sleeves can't do. If you have more JIC questions, go to our forums. www.camryclub.org/forums
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby TITO » Fri Jan 03, 2003 9:49 pm

Hey Adam, are your INTRAX lowering springs and if so, how much do they lower?
99 V6, LOWERED, COOL CUSTOM GRILL, TINTED WINDOWS, CUSTOM FRONT BUMPER, WHITE 17" WHEELS, BODY KIT, CLEAR CORNERS, INTAKE WITH K&N.
TITO
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Flipside909 » Fri Jan 03, 2003 10:37 pm

TITO wrote:Hey Adam, are your INTRAX lowering springs and if so, how much do they lower?

Intrax is a brand of aftermarket springs just like Eibach and H&R. They drop 1.8".
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby ICUFG » Sat Jan 04, 2003 9:02 am

Here is my car with Intrax springs and 18's, specs show 1.9'' drop:

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=263511&page=1
ICUFG
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 06, 2003 10:43 am

Flipside909 wrote:I forgot how low...but it gets down to the point where the tires start to tuck under the fender. The FLT-A2 version allows you to lower the car without losing ANY suspension travel. Something cheap coilover sleeves can't do. If you have more JIC questions, go to our forums. www.camryclub.org/forums

thanks, i tried clicking on the "search" but it said i didn't have permission to access or something like that. that's ok. i'll research it again, once i save up enough dough.

Postby Vampire » Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:20 pm

The SF-1 will lower to about the level where the top of your tires will be 1/2 to 1 inch below your fenders. BTW, there is a problem with the units right now. Just about everyone is getting a knocking noise in the rear that is NOT normal. The Wheel Supply is diligently working with Zeil Motorsports to fix this problem but there is no short term solution in sight.

Anonymous wrote:hey flipside, any idea how low the JIC coilovers can go? I've seen a bazillion posts praising them, but I haven't seen anyone mention how low they can go. I've heard GCs can crank down to over 3" (with no travel left, though) thanks,
jerold
Paul

02 Solara SE V6 5spd SC
00 Camry LE V6 Auto SC
Vampire
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 06, 2003 2:59 pm

Vampire wrote:The SF-1 will lower to about the level where the top of your tires will be 1/2 to 1 inch below your fenders. BTW, there is a problem with the units right now. Just about everyone is getting a knocking noise in the rear that is NOT normal. The Wheel Supply is diligently working with Zeil Motorsports to fix this problem but there is no short term solution in sight.

so the FLTs will lower it more, and doesn't have the knocking problem? i guess that's why it costs so much more. is this true for the camry's too? or just the solaras. (i have a camry)

vampire, are you using the JICs? are they worth the extra money? i have intrax springs sitting in my living room, and i plan to buy some tokikos, before installing the whole thing. but i'd rather buy the jic's if it's worth it. oh, and i'm more about the looks then the performance, but i don't want a crappy ride. thanks,
jerold

Postby Vampire » Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:36 pm

Well, there have been a few FLT-A2 owners who have said they have the problem too. Since I have the SF-1, I have been more concerned with that problem. As far as the Camry is concerned, the suspension components are the same for the Solara and the Gen 4/4.5. Are they worth it? Hmm, JIC uses good materials for their stuff. No doubt. I have the SF-1 and Bullett exhaust. Unfortunately, it's Zeil Motorsports in Cali that actually designs the stuff and does the R & D. They are not high on my list right now. Their implementation and design is not well thought out IMO. The atraction of the JIC is that you have a true coilover system that can give you a look where the stance is even on the front and back due the adjustable nature of the units. They are definetly firmer than any of the strut/spring setups you can find. You should keep that in mind. I personally would not have purchased them if I knew what I knew now. Oh well, live and learn.

Anonymous wrote:
Vampire wrote:The SF-1 will lower to about the level where the top of your tires will be 1/2 to 1 inch below your fenders. BTW, there is a problem with the units right now. Just about everyone is getting a knocking noise in the rear that is NOT normal. The Wheel Supply is diligently working with Zeil Motorsports to fix this problem but there is no short term solution in sight.

so the FLTs will lower it more, and doesn't have the knocking problem? i guess that's why it costs so much more. is this true for the camry's too? or just the solaras. (i have a camry)

vampire, are you using the JICs? are they worth the extra money? i have intrax springs sitting in my living room, and i plan to buy some tokikos, before installing the whole thing. but i'd rather buy the jic's if it's worth it. oh, and i'm more about the looks then the performance, but i don't want a crappy ride. thanks,
jerold
Paul

02 Solara SE V6 5spd SC
00 Camry LE V6 Auto SC
Vampire
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:13 pm

thanks, maybe i'll stick with my intrax then.

you've got mail.

Postby ICUFG » Mon Jan 06, 2003 6:57 pm

I love my intrax and KYB setup it rides better than my buddies WRX with a stock setup.
ICUFG
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby TITO » Mon Jan 06, 2003 8:06 pm

I have the same INTRAX and KYB setup and, though several on the forum have frowned on it, I am very pleased with the handling and the ride of this setup. Handles much better, not too stiff a ride and not too expensive.
99 V6, LOWERED, COOL CUSTOM GRILL, TINTED WINDOWS, CUSTOM FRONT BUMPER, WHITE 17" WHEELS, BODY KIT, CLEAR CORNERS, INTAKE WITH K&N.
TITO
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5