[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - splash guard on intake
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

splash guard on intake

splash guard on intake

Postby lex » Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:25 pm

I want to know how important is the splash guard on the intake in reality, cause I've found a couple of intakes for v6 solaras and most of them don't have a splash guard. Has anyone ever expirienced problems with the car stalling or not starting up because they didn't have a splash gurd and water got into their cone filter.
lex

Postby krook » Fri Jan 03, 2003 3:41 pm

i haven't seen a splash guard, but i've seen a heat shield if that's what you're referring to. the heat shield is supposed to reduce the heat that the intake sucks in by a little bit.

as for splash guards, i haven't heard of those, unless it's for a CAI which is not out YET (i'm crossing my fingers here) for our solaras.
krook
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby TITO » Fri Jan 03, 2003 9:45 pm

I left in the bottom part of the old air filter box which helps keep water from getting in.
99 V6, LOWERED, COOL CUSTOM GRILL, TINTED WINDOWS, CUSTOM FRONT BUMPER, WHITE 17" WHEELS, BODY KIT, CLEAR CORNERS, INTAKE WITH K&N.
TITO
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: splash guard on intake

Postby 4banger » Tue Jan 07, 2003 7:38 pm

lex wrote:I want to know how important is the splash guard on the intake in reality, cause I've found a couple of intakes for v6 solaras and most of them don't have a splash guard. Has anyone ever expirienced problems with the car stalling or not starting up because they didn't have a splash gurd and water got into their cone filter.

YES!! it is very important to keep water out of the intake. My dad used to have a 90 grand am. The air intake on it was kinda low, he drove through a section of road with water about a foot deep, sucked water into the intake, the engine ceased up. With the heads off, you could see the cylinder filled with water. The engine had to be rebuilt, fortunately the insurance covered it under flood damage.
Silver '99 Solara SE 4cyl.
4banger
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ICrazyChrisI » Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:36 am

Would a splash guard be needed for my CAI? :P
ICrazyChrisI
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Yanks0114 » Wed Jan 08, 2003 3:55 pm

ICrazyChrisI wrote:Would a splash guard be needed for my CAI? :P

YES YES AND YES!!!

Especially if it pulls from near the bottom of the car. Talk to Cattman see if they can make a splash gaurd
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5