[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - How much power can auto tranny handle?
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

How much power can auto tranny handle?

How much power can auto tranny handle?

Postby BurningSolara » Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:32 pm

Hello once again. I have the v6 in my solara matched with auto tranny. Everyone that I read up on that does alot of upgrades to their solaras have a manual. So how much power can the auto handle before it compromises its reliability/durability?

What can be done to help save my auto after numerous mods?
Driving with the overdrive off with the s/c, does this cause damage to the auto as well? I want to take as many preventive mesaures to protect my tranny.

Help?
BurningSolara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: How much power can auto tranny handle?

Postby Flipside909 » Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:55 pm

Regular 30k mile tranny power flush...not just fluid drain and refill helps...as well as an aftermarket transmission fluid cooler.
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby BurningSolara » Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:07 pm

As far as the power is concerned what is its limit? How much power can I run into a auto tranny before gears slip or stuff like that?
BurningSolara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Flipside909 » Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:26 pm

BurningSolara wrote:As far as the power is concerned what is its limit? How much power can I run into a auto tranny before gears slip or stuff like that?

7psi is already in the gray zone...6psi is safe so far. As long as you have your EBC functioning which should cut off boost at first gear and in between shifts you are okay. the higher you push boost, you have to worry about fuel enrichment and etc. 6 is safe...7 is kinda pushing it.
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Yanks0114 » Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:59 pm

I am working on the auto tranny cooler. We'll see how it goes. Once it gets warmer i'll find a spot to mount it. I'm also looking into building up my tranny by level 10. They are supposedly tops in my area.

We definately all do have boost in 1st gear though flip. The way it works is at about 3800rpm in 1st gear (20-25mph) it goes to 6000 or so if you floor it (40mph) boost cuts out and it shifts into 2nd and then at 3800rpm boost kicks in once again. Same is true for the rest of the gears
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby ICUFG » Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:39 pm

TRD makes a transmission cooler for the 4runner I think that is it the same as any cooler that AutoZone sells for like $50 bucks. It is not that hard to do and that would help your transmission alot. The numer one reason auto trannies fail is cause of heat, so the more you cool the better off you are. Just about any trans shop can install one of these fairly cheap. Most all people who have larger trks like a F150 put those larger coolers in for larger towing capabilites. Here is a link for a tranny cooler. Sorry about the size of the link!

http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDetails.asp?SourceArea=SHOP&SourcePage=SEARCHRESULTS&CategoryCode=3352&QueryID=444460&QueryCounter=22&BeginRecord=1&EndRecord=25&PreviousPage=SelectCategory&LastRecord=25&TopLevelCategoryCode=P&TopLevelCatDesc=&PartType=&UnitPrice=52%2E99&MfrCode=BNM&MfrPartNumber=70265++++++++++&ProductDescription=SUPERCOOLER++++++++++++++++++++++++&ShipmentRestriction=2++&Quantity=1&Weight=3&HandlingCost=0&CoreCharge=0&StoreCount=0&DcCount=1&HomeDelCount=0&SoItemFlag=0&ShipRestrictionCode=2++&SearchFor=Transmission+Parts+%26+Cables&AppliedDiscount=0&SpecialType=
ICUFG
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby BurningSolara » Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:06 pm

This question is for yanks0114.
I read about people killing the boost cut off when it switches gears. Rather than it cutting off inbetween gears it stays on as constant boost. What damage would this have on the tranny in the long run?
BurningSolara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Pat S » Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:25 pm

Check out this guys site here
http://www.gadgetonline.com/Transmission.htm

He talks about work he had done at Level 10 on his SC'd 4Runner
http://www.levelten.com
- Valve Body Upgrade
- Transmission Cooler
- Torque Converter

His torque converter was made by these guys:
https://www.protorque.com/protorque_new/order/oo_i.htm

There is another guy doing alot of valve body upgrades on maxima's and can supposedly do camry/solara's as well.
I e-mailed him the other day but have not heard back. You can see maxima related info at:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=149176
http://www.altimas.net/forum/showth...=maximum+tuning

BTW those last links came from a thread on SC3 by F1 Chris
http://www.camryclub.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4995

I definately plan to get a VB upgrade by someone in the next couple months before I raise boost over stock, and I have trans cooler ready to install at the same time. I'll probably hold off on the high stall torque converter though.

Pat
Pat S
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby ICUFG » Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:47 pm

BurningSolara wrote:This question is for yanks0114.
I read about people killing the boost cut off when it switches gears. Rather than it cutting off inbetween gears it stays on as constant boost. What damage would this have on the tranny in the long run?

I dont mean to intrude on Yanks answer here but if TRD made it to go in there it has a reason to be there, and it will harm tranny life do to the extreme pressure on shifts. If you want someone specific to answer please use the Private Message button.
ICUFG
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Yanks0114 » Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:03 pm

ICUFG wrote:TRD makes a transmission cooler for the 4runner I think that is it the same as any cooler that AutoZone sells for like $50 bucks. It is not that hard to do and that would help your transmission alot. The numer one reason auto trannies fail is cause of heat, so the more you cool the better off you are. Just about any trans shop can install one of these fairly cheap. Most all people who have larger trks like a F150 put those larger coolers in for larger towing capabilites. Here is a link for a tranny cooler. Sorry about the size of the link!

Thats the exact response i got from my TRD rep. He said go with a B & M because they are well respected and cheaper. I was reading an article and basically a 10 degree difference in the transmission temperature could shorted the life in 1/2 so after winter thats the big project (not really but still)
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Yanks0114 » Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:05 pm

BurningSolara wrote:This question is for yanks0114.

If you remove the EBC you will have boost through the gear shift. This will put a lot of extra stress on the trans and will definately shorten the life of it. I don't mind the EBC because its an extra safety net. I know eddie, the one with the camry, runs without the EBC but he said that he rarely floors it and is very dissaplined about it.
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby ilio2002 » Wed Jan 08, 2003 11:29 pm

[quote="yanks0114"]I am working on the auto tranny cooler. We'll see how it goes. Once it gets warmer i'll find a spot to mount it. I'm also looking into building up my tranny by level 10. They are supposedly tops in my area. [/quote]

Sorry which tranny cooler did you go with? The B&M? and I take it it will fit for your car. thanks ahead.
ilio2002
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Yanks0114 » Thu Jan 09, 2003 10:29 am

Yes i am going to use the B & M but its just a matter of finding a place to mount it.

Also be aware that the v6 and the i4 after different trannys so if you did have a i4, the power handling would be a lot less
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby ilio2002 » Thu Jan 09, 2003 10:41 am

[quote="yanks0114"]Yes i am going to use the B & M but its just a matter of finding a place to mount it.

Also be aware that the v6 and the i4 after different trannys so if you did have a i4, the power handling would be a lot less[/quote]

Thanks again. I have a V6 so I may add one on myself. I am still debating, I am wondering if the pressure loss will cause problems.

Jon
ilio2002
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby BurningSolara » Thu Jan 09, 2003 6:57 pm

Thanx you guys as always. I appreciate your postive responses. I thought hooking my car up was going to be hard and complicated. With fellow solara owners with sooo much knowledge this will be a breeze.

Thank you.
BurningSolara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Next

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5