[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - APEXi exhaust vs. Greddy
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

APEXi exhaust vs. Greddy

APEXi exhaust vs. Greddy

Postby alext14 » Mon Jan 20, 2003 1:07 am

I read about both the Greddy evo axhaust and the APEXi world sport exhaust, on numerous posts on this site. But I'm still left wondering as to which one gives you a better performance gain. I know that the Greddy has been back ordered and that some people say it sounds too loud in the 2000-2800 rpm range, but I have a chance to buy a used one. So I would just like to know which one adds more horsepower ?
alext14
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: APEXi exhaust vs. Greddy

Postby Yanks0114 » Mon Jan 20, 2003 10:38 am

alext14 wrote:I read about both the Greddy evo axhaust and the APEXi world sport exhaust, on numerous posts on this site. But I'm still left wondering as to which one gives you a better performance gain. I know that the Greddy has been back ordered and that some people say it sounds too loud in the 2000-2800 rpm range, but I have a chance to buy a used one. So I would just like to know which one adds more horsepower ?

Well don't expect huge gains from a catback exhaust but they do help a little bit (5-10 hp at the crank). They should be about the same, within 1-2 hp difference. I have the Apexi World sport and I love it, but most greddy owners love their exhaust too. I'd say its personal preference based on sound and there is a little different look. How would would the used one be, and how long was it used for?
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Flipside909 » Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:29 pm

alext14 wrote:I read about both the Greddy evo axhaust and the APEXi world sport exhaust, on numerous posts on this site. But I'm still left wondering as to which one gives you a better performance gain. I know that the Greddy has been back ordered and that some people say it sounds too loud in the 2000-2800 rpm range, but I have a chance to buy a used one. So I would just like to know which one adds more horsepower ?

Greddy is dyno proven...and is more beneficial in HP gains with the S/C. If sound supression is a concern, Apex World Sport is for you.
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Eddiman » Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:33 pm

which exhaust can i use on the 2002 4cyl solara? Cuase isnt the Greddy for the v6?
Eddiman
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby TadS » Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:39 pm

I asked the same question about 3 months ago. The paths are the same, so it will bolt up. Search for this thread. --> Any suggestion on a good exhaust? I would post a link, but I am not sure if it would work.

-TS
Let's just pretend I didn't grow up, or you're going to be terribly disappointed.
TadS
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Flipside909 » Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:45 pm

Eddiman wrote:which exhaust can i use on the 2002 4cyl solara? Cuase isnt the Greddy for the v6?

You can use any of the V6 catbacks...they all bolt on with no problem. But your gains will be negligible. You will actually hurt the performance of your car.
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

greddy

Postby alext14 » Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:34 pm

The Used exhaust is actually very new, my friend just installed it on his car like two months ago, and now he decided to sell his car, so he took off the greedy and put the stock one back on, so I think that the greddy will perform pretty much like new.
alext14
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby JMSinMaryland » Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:59 am

Flipside909 wrote:Greddy is dyno proven...and is more beneficial in HP gains with the S/C. If sound supression is a concern, Apex World Sport is for you.

When you say "is more beneficial in HP gains with the S/C" it sounds like you're saying more beneficial than the Apexi. If the Apexi hasn't been 'dyno proven' how could you make that statement? Jon. p.s. I agree about the noise difference and what kind of look you are going for, the Apexi WS to me reminds me of an OEM muffler enlarged, I only wish the body of the muffler wasn't so big, but the Greddy to me is to ricey and everyone has them on their car vs. the Apexi.
17" Toyota Highlander Limited wheels for sale
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/g ... ed-wheels/
JMSinMaryland
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Flipside909 » Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:52 pm

JMSinMaryland wrote:
Flipside909 wrote:Greddy is dyno proven...and is more beneficial in HP gains with the S/C. If sound supression is a concern, Apex World Sport is for you.

When you say "is more beneficial in HP gains with the S/C" it sounds like you're saying more beneficial than the Apexi. If the Apexi hasn't been 'dyno proven' how could you make that statement? Jon. p.s. I agree about the noise difference and what kind of look you are going for, the Apexi WS to me reminds me of an OEM muffler enlarged, I only wish the body of the muffler wasn't so big, but the Greddy to me is to ricey and everyone has them on their car vs. the Apexi.

Steve's dynos have yielded more HP with the standard 4psi and his 5.5psi pulley than any of my other friends with the comparable setup. A friend of mine with an Apex and standard pulley has dynoed and yielded a few hp less than Steve did. Yes not much, but any gain is better than none. I need to grab his dyno chart if he still has it. I've come to that conclusion from the smaller piping of the Apex.

As for your opinon Jon, that's truely entitled to you. You can call it ricey, but in my books, the Apex looks more ricey with an elongated slender tip to an oversized super shiny muffler. We all have different tastes, i don't really care for the tip size of my exhaust...and quite frankly, i bought my exhaust for performance gains, not because of it's asthetics. That's pretty stupid if one buys performance parts because of the way it looks. I totally understand if the sound is a concern, but by looks alone, that's stupid. It's kind of the same deal with Tokicos...do people decide to purchase them or not because they come in a cool blue color? I don't think so. So since you've come to the conclusion that everyone has an Evo is ricey, what does that make your TRD body kit? I guess it would be ricey too since everyone has the same thing?! :roll:

Everyone has the Evo on their cars because people like it...and because the Evoltuion line of exhausts is highly regarded on ANY of the comparable platforms it's made for. You can look at past SCC, Turbo and SS magazine articles on exhausts. The Evo line is known to yield more HP and be one of the quietest in an average test range.
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Clarification

Postby JMSinMaryland » Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:08 pm

"the Greddy to me is to ricey and everyone has them on their car vs. the Apexi."

The word "and" between "the Greddy to me is ricey" AND "everyone has them on their car vs. the Apexi" represents 2 seperate ideas. I'll break it down into simpler words. The Greddy has a boy racer look to me, maybe it's because other aftermarket companies modeled their exhausts on the Greddy or that Greddy copied HKS but the only cars I think the Evo looks good on is the Supra and cars with angled mufflers. For the second part of my sentence "everyone has them on their cars vs. the Apexi" Im not referring specially to the Camry/Solara platform, Im also referring to the Honda/Acura platform, etc. I chose the Apexi myself for a few reasons, it being the quietiest catback, obvious performance over TRD, aesthetically a larger tip looks better on the Solara (main reason that the Solara is a huge car, btw I think the Apexi tip is larger than the Greddy), and for the fact that if Im changing everything else on the car I might as well make it 'complete.' In my opinion the TRD bodykit changes the look of the Solara enough (positively) that it was worth it. You said "what does that make your TRD body kit? I guess it would be ricey too since everyone has the same thing?!" By your logic a stock Solara w/o a bodykit is MUCH ricier b/c there are a lot more of them out there than Solaras with the TRD bodykit. Jon.
17" Toyota Highlander Limited wheels for sale
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/g ... ed-wheels/
JMSinMaryland
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Re: Clarification

Postby Flipside909 » Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:23 pm

JMSinMaryland wrote:"the Greddy to me is to ricey and everyone has them on their car vs. the Apexi."

aesthetically a larger tip looks better on the Solara (main reason that the Solara is a huge car, btw I think the Apexi tip is larger than the Greddy),

You are so contradictory in what you say Jon. Larger tip? The Evo tip is 115mm in diameter. I know it's larger, i don't merely guess or "think" that it is. I've seen them side by side on Solaras and Gen4 Camrys. The Apex portrudes past the bumper, and that's a plain fact. Doesn't really exemplify a "clean" look. Looks more like a last minute job than anything else.

BTW, I was basing your theory or definition of rice with your own words and logic. Don't try to turn the tables around. Perhaps you need to proof read your statements the next time around. You and I have a different definition to the term "ricey". Just like your idea of Lexus badges on your car...in my books that's ricey, you think it's not. I personally have never thought the TRD/Molly kit was rice. Now if it's black widow or octane, then you have my vote. All in all, to each his own.
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5