[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - supercharger question
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

supercharger question

supercharger question

Postby ID » Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:41 pm

I've just got my supercharger installed, and the check engine light came on while I was test driving. Took back to the shop and they found out that the engine is running lean. I'm using the stock 4psi pulley and no intake. This shouldn't happen right? The installer spent the whole night checking over every parts and he is very sure he did it right. Has anyone had the same problem? Any idea how to solve it? Thanks a lot!
ID
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: supercharger question

Postby Yanks0114 » Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:55 pm

ID wrote:I've just got my supercharger installed, and the check engine light came on while I was test driving. Took back to the shop and they found out that the engine is running lean. I'm using the stock 4psi pulley and no intake. This shouldn't happen right? The installer spent the whole night checking over every parts and he is very sure he did it right. Has anyone had the same problem? Any idea how to solve it? Thanks a lot!

Hmm. Whats the exact A/F you are getting. It definately shouldn't happen. Have him reset the ECU (i'm sure he did though) by disconnecting the negative lead on the battery. Also what octane fuel are you running and what spark plugs? How many miles, maybe your injectors are clogged?
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby ID » Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:17 pm

yea we thought about all those possibilities, none applies. Does the spark plug actually has something to do with injecting fuel? I don't really think so... My car has 30,000KM on it, and I've always been using premium. This is so weird..
ID
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby impactX » Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:40 pm

Or may be you didn't close the fuel lid tight enough... just a thought :lol:
impactX
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: supercharger question

Postby Flipside909 » Wed Jan 22, 2003 10:33 am

ID wrote:I've just got my supercharger installed, and the check engine light came on while I was test driving. Took back to the shop and they found out that the engine is running lean. I'm using the stock 4psi pulley and no intake. This shouldn't happen right? The installer spent the whole night checking over every parts and he is very sure he did it right. Has anyone had the same problem? Any idea how to solve it? Thanks a lot!

This is an all too common case ever since the S/C came out. Get an S-AFC.
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Luc » Wed Jan 22, 2003 10:49 am

Tell your mechanic to check a couple of these things, not in any specific order. 1) metal throttle body gasket is correctly installed, 2) one-way valve is pointed in the right direction/flow, 3) EGR bolts on the pipes are all tightened to specification, 4) vacuum hose connections; make sure the ACIS filter is taken off, and 5) there's one wire on the ECU that needs to be cut, the ACIS sensing wire.

Luc
1998 S/C'd 1MZ-FE A/T
Luc
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ToyCam » Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:08 am

Flip, I've never heard of this being a common problem, especially at 4psi. I could see this being a prob if he was running higher boost though.

Do you know how ppl that experienced similar probs corrected it?

Sure and S-AFC would help richen teh fuel...but that's more of a bandaid and the cause of the problem is still there.
ToyCam
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby ID » Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:26 pm

There's also a very stinky toxic smell coming out of the exhaust. The exhaust is brand new apexi world sport, is this normal? Or this could be caused by the supercharger?
ID
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Blaze » Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:37 pm

might be cuz the exhaust is new, my ws smelled pretty bad at first too
Blaze
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby Flipside909 » Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:40 pm

ToyCam wrote:Flip, I've never heard of this being a common problem, especially at 4psi.

EricSol was the first to run into this problem. When at the time ELP was working on our projects...especially with the 13psi pulley, the engine was running dangerously lean and detonating at WOT.
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

xr7danz777@aol.com

Postby Guy » Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:34 pm

Ur engine check light could be on because when you go to fill up your car at the gas station when the pump clicks stop given it gas dont top off that also make the engin check light come on
Guy

Postby ID » Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:39 pm

regardless of the engine light, my mechanic has already check the car with computer. And it says tank1 and tank2 are both running lean.
ID
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: xr7danz777@aol.com

Postby krook » Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:31 pm

Guy wrote:Ur engine check light could be on because when you go to fill up your car at the gas station when the pump clicks stop given it gas dont top off that also make the engin check light come on

is this harmful? also, on a side note: GUY, why don't you register? you must be gettin' irritated at putting your email EVERY time on the subject line. . .

anyway, back to the subject at hand: SUPERCHARGER. if i get the s/c and pulley, wires, and plugs will a toyota dealership install ALL of those?
or just the s/c, and plugs?
krook
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Pat S » Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:58 pm

I got a lean code after my install. Problem was (as Luc pointed out above) Loose EGR nut. It seems I torqued one twice, and one not at all. Once I fixed that it worked perfect.

Pat
Pat S
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: xr7danz777@aol.com

Postby cdssolara » Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:18 pm

krooked Solara wrote:
anyway, back to the subject at hand: SUPERCHARGER. if i get the s/c and pulley, wires, and plugs will a toyota dealership install ALL of those?
or just the s/c, and plugs?

I'm sure that the Toyota dealership could put an upgraded pulley on your s/c, but why make it so obvious to them that your voiding your warranty? Have someone else put it on. If you bring your car in to the Toyota dealership later for powertrain work, they probably won't even notice that you have a smaller pulley.
cdssolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Next

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5