[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - TRD Strut Noise Follow Up: FIXED!
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

TRD Strut Noise Follow Up: FIXED!

TRD Strut Noise Follow Up: FIXED!

Postby lightear » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:13 pm

It's fixed guys! =)

After a month and a half of using rubber washers in between where the strut leg meets the bottom of the "upper strut mount" I finally found some more time and energy to test out the strut noise problem.

I burned through two OEM strut mounts so that costed me an additional $120. Ouch. Hopefully you will all benefit from this thread.

--------------------------------------

The problem is this:

Either the TRD struts were built correctly and it didn't work well with OEM strut mounts. Or the TRD struts were built incorrectly and did not match up with the OEM strut mounts. To be honest, I have no clue what it is.

But what was for sure is that the thick part of the TRD strut leg was bumping into the upper spring seat.

--------------------------------------

The fix:

MONROE Strut Mount.

Official Name: Monroe Strut Mate Mounting Kit (Comes with a new bearing)
Part Number: 903903 (for Passenger Front, part number may differ if you're looking for the DriverSide Front)
Cost: $79.99 with Limited Lifetime Warranty (..yeah...more expensive than Toyota Stock OEM)

I had to make a big call on a decision. I wasn't sure if I wanted to wait for the third OEM strut mount. Or try something from Pepboys or Autozone. In the end I went to pepboys and tried out a MONROE strut mount.

Noise was gone. I test drove the car for 30 minutes going over speed bumps, going up curbs, anything that made noises before and not a single noise.

Update: Someone asked: "Was this a Solara specific or generic Monroe Strut mount".

When I went inside Pepboys, I asked for a 1999 Toyota Solara Strut Mount. Although I have a 2003, the computer systems at Pepboy's and Autozone both showed no results(odd...). Don't use other strut mounts built for other cars. That's a no-no.

---------------------------------

How?

The Monroe Strut Mount compared with the OEM Strut Mount had a very unique difference. The depth of where the notch meets with the groove on the strut was noticeably deeper. A LOT DEEPER. And I have a good feeling that because of this change in the strut mount, it has fixed my problem.

Basically the Strut Mount was different from the OEM.

---------------------------------

What you should really do if your car is making noises as well.

Don't buy the Monroe Strut mount just yet if you have this problem already. It's possible that a simple adjustment might fix the problem.

1) Locate where the sound is coming from:

If the sound is coming from the back struts, then chances are it has nothing to do with this topic. It's probably something to do with incorrect installation or if you have a aftermarket sway bar the links are making the noise.

2) Take apart the strut-spring setup once again and check the following:
- Then check if the strut rebounds (it's possible that you might have a bad strut to begin with). You do this by flipping your strut upside down and with your shoes(wear Shoes when you do this!) press down on the flat side of the TRD strut. It's hard to miss. Press all the way down and flip it back around with out touching the strut lug. If the strut leg moves back up slowly then you're in good shape. If the strut leg just sits there compressed without moving back up to normal position then you will need a rebuild.

- Check the strut mount grooves. Are they worn?

- Reinstall and check that the strut mount is installed correctly back into the car. From what I was told, SolaraSweetie had this problem and her car was immediately fixed without the need for a new strut mount.

3) Worse comes to worse, you've done everything and your car still makes the noise. Then it's time to trial and error through the Strut mount. My best bet is that the Monroe Strut Mounts will work...but I can assure no guarantees.

-------------------------------------------

Links

If you want to follow up on what was discussed in the past or need a temporary fix then here:
http://www.solaraguy.org/viewtopic.php?t=28447

If you want to know information about strut rebuilds then here:
http://www.solaraguy.org/viewtopic.php?t=29111

------------------------------------------

I hope those who eventually do try the monroe struts to report back and tell their side of the story.
Last edited by lightear on Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lightear
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby hskrsolara » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:24 pm

wow, awesome job! all you guys that benefit from this owe some major props to lightear!
99 DWP SEV6 5spd 6.5psi+Meth, Tein+Tokico, EricSol+Brembos+EBC, OBX Headers+OBX 3" Exhaust, Supra MAF & 330cc, Spec 2+, Fidanza, TRD lip kit, Injen+Ext, Optima Red, Infinity 60.5+693.7i, 2 Kappa Perfect 12 VQ's+iPod+JVC DVD...etc
hskrsolara
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby SleeperSolara » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:22 pm

Congrats man. :D
2000 Solara SE auto V6. Diamond White Pearl.
Top Speed Run finished at 130 mph. :o
Too many modifcations for the signature.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby eyedea » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:58 am

Thanks for the quick tip on this. Everyone that has had trd struts at one time knows how annoying the suspension noise can get even though it does not affect the ride quality of the car. Would like to try this out and see what results i would get
5SP 02 SE V6 SC 1MZFE .......RIP ...
2003 Infiniti M45 =340hp of RWD sex

eyedea
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby funboy102 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:33 pm

that's one awesome write-up, don't you guys think this is almost sticky worthy?
1999 Solara SE V6 5-Speed PICS! http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=43759
funboy102
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby lightear » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:53 pm

I am heavily against having it as a sticky. It would be best to see some more results from others first.

Update: I took apart all four struts again just to make sure everything is ready and good to go for alignment possibly next weekend. I put everythign back together and still no noise. So it's not about luck. For me, this Monroe Strut Mount is definitely the fix.
lightear
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: TRD Strut Noise Follow Up: FIXED!

Postby hari-bhari » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:45 am

Do you know the part number for this? I'm seeing some Monroe strut-mate mounts but I don't know if those are the generics.
hari-bhari
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Re: TRD Strut Noise Follow Up: FIXED!

Postby Texasolara86 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:17 am

I'm also wondering the part numbers, as I am going to pull the trigger soon on some TRD struts!
Texasolara86
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5