[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Project: Renova Grille Done!!..now car in progress see PICS!
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

Project: Renova Grille Done!!..now car in progress see PICS!

Postby Ilovemylara » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:03 am

looks great man!
Ilovemylara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby kenny6683 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:56 am

mazen222 wrote:looks like there's a small gap on the bottom... did u not fit it properly?

yeah you're right...i need to take it off and put it back on because i think its sitting over the tabs
kenny6683
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby JamesT » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:05 am

It looks nice (much better than mine)!

kenny6683 wrote:which is why I think it would of been better to first fiberglass over the plastic and then a thin layer of body filler over it...but i decided to just try this first and see how it goes

I wouldn't use the fiberglass unless you are making a mold an making a completely new grill. Fiberglass doesn't bond to plastic too well. Not to mention you will have a lot more sanding to do to even everything out if you go the fiberglass route.

If you do decide to make a mold in the future you should make it out of carbon fiber.

Also, an easier way to get the mesh to fit in would be to use a dremel and a cutting wheel and cut a deep groove all the way around the inside of the grill. Then you can just fit the mesh in there and use body filler to smooth out the area next to the mesh.
Click on picture for my CarDomain
BespokeAutoInterior
JamesT
Shift Boot Master Crafter

Postby kenny6683 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:26 pm

JamesT wrote:It looks nice (much better than mine)!

kenny6683 wrote:which is why I think it would of been better to first fiberglass over the plastic and then a thin layer of body filler over it...but i decided to just try this first and see how it goes

I wouldn't use the fiberglass unless you are making a mold an making a completely new grill. Fiberglass doesn't bond to plastic too well. Not to mention you will have a lot more sanding to do to even everything out if you go the fiberglass route.

If you do decide to make a mold in the future you should make it out of carbon fiber.

Also, an easier way to get the mesh to fit in would be to use a dremel and a cutting wheel and cut a deep groove all the way around the inside of the grill. Then you can just fit the mesh in there and use body filler to smooth out the area next to the mesh.

i definately agree with you...but i think my grille is good now. i will just leave it alone...pretty satisfied with it and taking new pics this weekend. i'm in the middle of sanding my whole car down and priming it so stay tuned
kenny6683
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby JamesT » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:06 pm

Sounds like a big project.

The grille looks great to me. Personally, I wouldn't go through all the hassle of everything I mentioned unless I was making it for someone other than myself.

If the work is for me, I'll usually take a shortcut or two depending on the item. If it's for a client, I'll spend countless hours perfecting every aspect (and usually go over budget)
Click on picture for my CarDomain
BespokeAutoInterior
JamesT

Postby kenny6683 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:19 pm

i dont really care about blocking my plate number anymore...oh and that plate was from my last car transfered over so...

grille looks nice and flush and i love the way it turned out

that bumper light is coming off...it was just me being bored one day
i will eventually get car painted at a shop...this is my winter look
kenny6683
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:48 pm

very very nice! props to an overall great looking ride.
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby GreenSolara01 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:27 pm

KENUDRFT? awesome LOL! liove it.

Are those g35 rims? They look good.
GreenSolara01
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Ruski » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:32 pm

^ yea those are g35 rims and clean ride man
Totaled 9-14-07 NEW 6-6-08 04 Se Sport White
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby jetbtkng » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:04 pm

it turned out really nice....................... :drinking:
jetbtkng
solaraguy idiot racing team
solaraguy idiot racing team

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:38 pm

Nice stuff there. Drop it and throw some nice paint on it and your golden. Great looking grill for sure.
Trust me, I'm a technician.
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby kenny6683 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:03 pm

thanks guys!! yeah next i need to order drop springs and new headlights since mine are fogged up and i dont want to use plastix all the time..i also want to do the black housing.

paintjob is next and new rims maybe spring time.
kenny6683
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Skew » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:33 pm

Nice car.
| 99 SLE V6 | TRD AB Exhaust | Vinyl Matte Black Roof | Custom Mesh Grill | 20% Tint |
Skew
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Chinky420 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:42 pm

lookin good man
Chinky420
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:02 pm

nice man! im really digging the tow hinge man! i kinda like the idea! i might take it into consideration for my car :)
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6
Solaraguy's dopest driver
Solaraguy's dopest driver

PreviousNext

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5