[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - HID Upgrades & LED Bulbs
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

HID Upgrades & LED Bulbs

HID Upgrades & LED Bulbs

Postby tommybluez » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:24 am

Anyone out there upgrade to HID with the kits?

Are you happy? Did you get the bi-xenon and would you recommend the one you bought? Let me know where you got it from! Thanks!

Also - I'm going to replace some interior lights/trunk lights with LED equivalents - anyone recommend a site? Or just troll eBay?

Thanks again!
tommybluez
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby LEE337 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:59 am

I just got the chepys on ebay. Ill prolly soon upgrade to some of these.
http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=8893

Then eventually go with TSX retro fit projectors.

As for LEDs check out www.autolumination.com or www.superbrightleds.com
Texas SolaraGuy Meet
LEE337
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Akfahad » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:21 pm

i usually use autolumination for all my LED stuff...always very reliable.

as for HIDs...i did originally get the bi-xenon, but they are totally not worth it. the high beams weren't much better than without. in fact, I actually ended up gutting everything around the bulb (all the stuff that made it bi-xenon) and it was actually brighter. that's what i've been rocking as of late, just no high beams now.

you can get HIDs for really cheap now, my last set i got for $60 from a group buy on maxima.org.
Akfahad
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby tommybluez » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:52 pm

I drive mostly in the city myself... so I rarely use my highs anymore. And I'm thinking the low HID's plus driving lights > stock halogen high's anyways?

Are you guys happy with the output/illumination w/ the aftermarket? I've read that doing HID in units not designed for it would leave you with poorly structured light output - but if they're reflecting light the same way the halogen bulb is - it shouldn't matter the source, only that it's putting out as much light to reflect which seems correct. I found a kit (more pricey) on amazon... ranging from 139 to 299 depending on whether they're bi-xenon, digital ballasts, steel ballasts, etc...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002AQF8IG

They have a 98 or 99% customer satisfaction rate and emailed me back quick with any questions I had... I'm willing to pay a bit more to feel like I'm going to be safe/not screw up my wiring.

Thanks guys!
------------
00' SLE, Pearl White, 61k
First time Toyota Owner :)
tommybluez
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby mazen222 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:37 pm

HID - from VVME
Leds from ebay... make sure to get as much leds in one bulb as possible
1999, 5 Speed V6
mazen222
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Ruski » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:59 pm

i got VVME kit as well and love them in my gen2 world of difference with HID and Projectors ;)
Totaled 9-14-07 NEW 6-6-08 04 Se Sport White
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Re: HID Upgrades & LED Bulbs

Postby BuddhaSLE2000 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:43 pm

I am also thinking about upgrading to HID lights. What is everyones You cant mess up the wiring from what i know. it is a universal kit and if you want to take them off you can. Here is a link where i learned this.
http://reviews.ebay.com/Difference-betw ... 0004613590
BuddhaSLE2000
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby BuddhaSLE2000 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:43 pm

I am also thinking about upgrading to HID lights. You cant mess up the wiring from what i know. it is a universal kit and if you want to take them off you can. Here is a link where i learned this.
http://reviews.ebay.com/Difference-betw ... 0004613590
Last edited by BuddhaSLE2000 on Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuddhaSLE2000
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby pwizzle » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:24 pm

I currently have the 6000k bixenon HID kit and I was happy with it, but now I'm about ready to do a projector retrofit in order to have better light output to where it needs to be: the road. I now wouldn't recommend anyone buying a pnp hid kit for their car if it didn't originally come with HID projectors. I'm about to buy some Morimoto mini h1 projectors and retro them. I just have to figure out how to vacuum form the headlight covers since I was an idiot for not jumping on the group buy awhile back.
"To be is to do" - Plato
"To do is to be" - Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Sinatra
"Scooby Dooby Dooo!!" - Scooby Doo
pwizzle
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby BuddhaSLE2000 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:25 pm

I'm confused on the bulb size thing for this HID kit. Whenever I look up HID kits they offer bulb sizes I just want to make sure it is the same as the stock one and is there a difference in H4 bulb to H3? I can find H4/9003 but cannot find H3/9003 (1st gen solara has H3/9003)
BuddhaSLE2000
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby solara99white » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:09 pm

BuddhaSLE2000 wrote:I'm confused on the bulb size thing for this HID kit. Whenever I look up HID kits they offer bulb sizes I just want to make sure it is the same as the stock one and is there a difference in H4 bulb to H3? I can find H4/9003 but cannot find H3/9003 (1st gen solara has H3/9003)

I put the He bulb in my gen 1 solars,the only difference between the two really is ballas size.im happy with the H4 HID kit I have installed
1999 pearl white toyota solara se,6k white HID
solara99white
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby BuddhaSLE2000 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:30 pm

HID kit from DDM tuning based out of San Diego (where im from so i went to their shop and picked them up) http://ddmtuning.com/Product-Categories ... g/HID-Kits you can order them from this site tho. in expensive but good. i put the 5000k pure whites in. gives amazing light and looks sick. as for the bi-xenon thing. having a high beam and a lo beam makes no difference the brightness is good without the highs and if you only put the lo beam bulb in you can hit the high beam switch and turn off the lights overall looks sike. i snuck up on my buddy doing that.
BuddhaSLE2000
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby BuddhaSLE2000 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:32 pm

HID kit from DDM tuning based out of San Diego (where im from so i went to their shop and picked them up) http://ddmtuning.com/Product-Categories ... g/HID-Kits you can order them from this site tho. in expensive but good. i put the 5000k pure whites in. gives amazing light and looks sick. as for the bi-xenon thing. having a high beam and a lo beam makes no difference the brightness is good without the highs and if you only put the lo beam bulb in you can hit the high beam switch and turn off the lights overall looks sike. i snuck up on my buddy doing that.
BuddhaSLE2000
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5