[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Dual exhaust props
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

Dual exhaust props

Dual exhaust props

Postby S.Z.-Alpha » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:33 pm

I've always liked a car with dual exhaust. it makes them look perfect and symmetrical.
When ever i look at the back, and plan to up them, there's two things getting in the way.
One is that there is already a cutoff where the stock is installed, making it awkward to put another exhaust on the other side. The next concern is the gas tank. Well it's pretty much looking off kilter rather than that centered look. Does this array of the gastank the same for those stock dual exhaust equiped Avalons?
In this pic, that black portion really hides that cutoff of the stock exhaust(does it?) but i couldnt see if the owner did anything to the gas tank.
(Who ever owns this Solara, I salute you!)
I would rather have that black portion than the whole body kit.
2000 Toyota Solara a.k.a "Goldie" SLE V6 //PARTS: TRD Muffler w/ Stock pipes, K&N filter, Tokico Blue Shocks w/ Stock Springs, Kenwood H/U with x4 JVC speakers(250x2 Front and 290x2 Rear) w/ JL 1000 watt amp.
S.Z.-Alpha
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Dual exhaust props

Postby S.Z.-Alpha » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:54 am

bump...
2000 Toyota Solara a.k.a "Goldie" SLE V6 //PARTS: TRD Muffler w/ Stock pipes, K&N filter, Tokico Blue Shocks w/ Stock Springs, Kenwood H/U with x4 JVC speakers(250x2 Front and 290x2 Rear) w/ JL 1000 watt amp.
S.Z.-Alpha
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby GreeKAvaLoN » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:33 pm

the 95-04 avalons don't come with duals, but the gas tank is under the back seat. you can always do the cheap way and just bolt on up for looks? idk lol
are avalons supposed to be this fast?
GreeKAvaLoN
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby mig0s » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:26 pm

I also liked dual exhausts but there's just no point on the solara, excepting for losing some torque.
1999 V6 5-Speed... so beautiful :' )
Black housing headlights, corner. 55w 6k HID, 2500k fogs, TWM Short Shifter+weighted knob, Tein+KYB, TRD lip kit + Acura CL type-S front lip. TSW Kyalami 18x8. Cutom 2.5" SS free flow muffler.
mig0s
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby S.Z.-Alpha » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:47 am

Losing some torque? whys that?
S.Z.-Alpha
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 02slera » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:14 am

on a stock engine, if you take away back pressure (make the exhaust flow better) you may lose low end torque.
though it was my understanding that the muffler is not a point of resistance anyway really, everyone says that the y pipe is where its most restrictive. i say keep on it, find out how to do it, then let me know :)
2002 Solara SLE v6
02slera
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby mig0s » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:06 am

Actually according to me, dual exhaust on a "not so performant engine" like the 1mzfe which is only 200hp definitely make you lose some torque. Dual exhaust= less back pressure = less torque at the low end. Our engines can only take such amount of air, and one single exhaust is sufficient to hold them up. Imagine squeezing a bag of ziploc full of air with only one hole, it's gonna be slower than two holes, but since in our case, we only have a limited amount of air in the bag and two holes would be more than enough for the air to get out, which means there's less restriction and less torque.

Someone confirm what I just said please lol :P
Last edited by mig0s on Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1999 V6 5-Speed... so beautiful :' )
Black housing headlights, corner. 55w 6k HID, 2500k fogs, TWM Short Shifter+weighted knob, Tein+KYB, TRD lip kit + Acura CL type-S front lip. TSW Kyalami 18x8. Cutom 2.5" SS free flow muffler.
mig0s
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SirThomas88 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:45 am

mig0s wrote:Actually according to me, dual exhaust on a "not so performant engine" like the 1mzfe which is only 200hp definitely make you lose some torque. Dual exhaust= less back pressure = less torque at the low end. Our engines can only take such amount of air, and one single exhaust is sufficient to hold them up. Imagine squeezing a bag of ziploc full of air with only one hole, it's gonna be slower than two holes, but since in our case, we only have a limited amount of air in the bag or two holes would be more than enough for the air to get out, which means there's less restriction and less torque.

Someone confirm what I just said please lol :P

Though I don't fully understand the concept of how back pressure affects torque, what you've said supports everything I've heard on the issue concerning our cars.
14.11s 101mph quarter mile. 5 Speed v6 Supercharged @ 5.5psi
SirThomas88
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby GreeKAvaLoN » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:58 pm

def true on losing torque, i don't know either but i have the high flow jpp headers, high flow y, high flow cat, and catback and i lost a LOT of torque but the top end is ridiculous. it feels like the car kinda hits "vtec" around 3500, you literally feel a difference in power and what i listed is all i got, so really if u plan on racing people, try and do it from a roll! :P
are avalons supposed to be this fast?
GreeKAvaLoN
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 02slera » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:01 pm

with stock y pipe and cat i would suspect your back pressure would still be there even with 2 mufflers. im no mechanic though.
2002 Solara SLE v6
02slera
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby stringbean » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:18 pm

if im right, and i like to think i am at times, but from a stock y pipe to a 18in resonator to a y pipe then to two separate mufflers that have there own tips you should have the same(if not slightly less) back pressure, not huge amounts. the only way to eliminate the maximum amount of back pressure would be headers, no y pipe, just separate exhaust and even with 18in resonators on both and then mufflers it should lower bp. i dont know how you'd fit that because thats a lot of pipe for under our cars.
stringbean
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 02slera » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:17 pm

i think originally it was being questioned how to do it just for looks.... i assumed he meant with stock headers and y pipe, that the cat back would be modified with a second y pipe going to dual mufflers. which i agree with the post above... it should not really effect back pressure. and im sure your also correct that if (somehow) a "true" dual exhaust was mounted with two separate pipes from the headers back, it would dramatically increase flow and lower back pressure.
NOW.. the question remains... how do you mount/make room for the second muffler? does anyone on here actually have two mufflers?
2002 Solara SLE v6
02slera
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby MisterTedster » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:45 pm

I do, lemme see if I have some pics for you.
02 SE V6
TRD FSB, TRD RSB, Dual TRD Mufflers, Eibach Springs, KYB Struts, OBX SRI, Fujita F5 Filter
MisterTedster
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby MisterTedster » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:49 pm

02 SE V6
TRD FSB, TRD RSB, Dual TRD Mufflers, Eibach Springs, KYB Struts, OBX SRI, Fujita F5 Filter
MisterTedster
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby S.Z.-Alpha » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:42 pm

So naturally modding with the single exhaust is alright. yeah I've been browsing alot of parts i want lately and i would be considering using a TRD exhaust from ebay or a source around here. Just for this year I'll be changing the wheels, new intake/jetchips, and hopefully exhaust work.
Shouldnt exhaust and new intake work done together?
S.Z.-Alpha
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Next

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5