[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - SERIOUS noob looking for as much advice as possible!
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

SERIOUS noob looking for as much advice as possible!

SERIOUS noob looking for as much advice as possible!

Postby zaior3684 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:38 pm

Okay so first i want to say that I am currently saving my money for subwoofers.. Yes I know that they are pointless but I just love them, but that means i do not have the money on me right now, but in the future i do plan on staying active on this site, and modifying my Solara. I want advice from people that have done work on this year and trim if possible. but i want to warn you, i probably will not buy anything from anyone off this site, at least not until i get to know the community, so if you are here to try to sell me parts i regret to inform you i am not that interested at the moment.

I have a 2000 Toyota Solara SLE V6 Hunter Green.

My Current Mods:
35% Front Tint 5% on the rest.
Colored Dome Lights (Bright White)

My Mods that I would like to have in the Future (Realistically):
Remove Weather Guard on top of Sunroof
Debadge the whole trunk (I bought it with SLE V6 removed from sides)
Put Decepticon Emblems (from transformers) in place of the Toyota Emblem on the trunk.
Put a sticker on the tinted rear windshield that reads "to punish and enslave" (its from transformers)
Exhaust System
Cold Air Intake
Performance Spark Plugs
(Does Chipping even add Horsepower to this car?)
Tires and Wheels (Preferably Black)
subs and a Pioneer Head Unit

I know that seems like a lot.. and Ricey... which it is. but i can realistically afford those at 17 with a decent job. The problem is after i buy my friends Kicker L7 and put on the stickers and debadge it... I am lost. I am looking to have a "Murdered Out" Look where it looks stealthy.. but at the same time have it be loud and not what youd expect from what people would guess was a 4 cylinder, you know a little more giddy up than they come stock. And i have no experience with any models/brand names, i have a friend that can do almost all of the work, but he is in college and i am in high school so i rarely get a chance to have a good talk about what he recommends.. and he drives a modded tC, so i thought it would be best to ask you guys with experience. All Responses are welcome and I hope to upload a picture or 2 very soon.

What would you recommend in the way of;
Exhaust (for +HP and Loud but not farty)
Air Intake (+HP)
Good looking black Wheels
Possible Chipping?(+HP)
Removing Weatherguard (Looks/Back Draws)

Thanks I know that was probably horrible to read but everything is welcome as a response
Thanks
Doug
2000 SLE
[x] Tint (35% Front 5% back)
[x] Subwoofer (12in Kicker L7)
[x] Head Unit (Double Din JVC)
[] Exhaust
[x] Debadge
[x] Air Intake ( Built Myself :D)
[x] Plasti Dip Grill
[x] Plasti Dip Wheels
zaior3684
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: SERIOUS noob looking for as much advice as possible!

Postby zaior3684 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:36 am

I got the Subwoofer in and all setup. Next I am getting a Head Unit. Then an Exhaust system, then Cold Air intake, Then chip and performance tuning.
2000 SLE
[] Exhaust
[x] Debadge
[x] Plasti Dip Grill
[x] Plasti Dip Wheels
zaior3684
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:10 am

the search function is your best friend in this case. other than that my lips are sealed. we've had one too many posts like yours and its about time we show some tough love (but i'm gonna bet some noob is still gonna chime in with his $.02 anyway).

welcome. a plethora of information awaits you here
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby zaior3684 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:16 pm

yaddadaimsayin wrote:the search function is your best friend in this case. other than that my lips are sealed. we've had one too many posts like yours and its about time we show some tough love (but i'm gonna bet some noob is still gonna chime in with his $.02 anyway).

welcome. a plethora of information awaits you here

I honestly had no idea there even was a search function. Sorry I fail. I'll be sure
To use it thanks. But just trying to get some other people's input too on whether you think the car would look good with the stuff I listed?
2000 SLE
[] Exhaust
[x] Debadge
[x] Plasti Dip Grill
[x] Plasti Dip Wheels
zaior3684
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby crispone » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:47 pm

Welcome our young, noob friend!

Enjoy the process with your new Solara-ride!

(L7? Gonna loosen some solder joints while you're at it, eh? :wink: )

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby parkc96 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:26 pm

well first... Welcome to the site! and second, the search function is what you want to use... i am gonna say though if u want a "clean" "sleeper" look dont do the transformers emblems, its kinda ricer ish but its your choice... good luck!

2000 camry 4 cylinder: rims, tint, spoiler, head unit, partially debadged, custom catback, custom grille... more to come.
parkc96
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby zaior3684 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:31 pm

parkc96 wrote:well first... Welcome to the site! and second, the search function is what you want to use... i am gonna say though if u want a "clean" "sleeper" look dont do the transformers emblems, its kinda ricer ish but its your choice... good luck!

I have been looking at the difficulty of doing everything perfectly and i do not think that i should debadge it afterall, I will just save my money for the exhaust i found a place that will make it and mount it for $500
2000 SLE
[] Exhaust
[x] Debadge
[x] Plasti Dip Grill
[x] Plasti Dip Wheels
zaior3684
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby crispone » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:20 pm

:agree:

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby Solarasian » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:39 am

lol instead get fire stickers. they add 15 hp each. WELCOME haha. get the exhaust first. get your flow first and then the intake,
Auto SLE V6
6000k VVME Bi-Xenon
GReddy SP2 catback
injen SRI is2030p
Kaminari Lip Kit(stand by)
Tokico hp Struts
Tein S Tech
Solarasian
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby parkc96 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:19 am

Solarasian wrote:lol instead get fire stickers. they add 15 hp each. WELCOME haha. get the exhaust first. get your flow first and then the intake,

what he said^^ but not the fire stickers.

2000 camry 4 cylinder: rims, tint, spoiler, head unit, partially debadged, custom catback, custom grille... more to come.
parkc96
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby dman3114 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:27 am

yo man, im pretty new to this site too lol, I recommend just looking around the site for info on different things, that's what I've been doing lol. If you need any help I'll try to help the best I can :)
dman3114
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby TheGreenDutch » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:16 am

Go on ebay and get a muffler. Get good spark plugs and wires and do the snorkel removal mod and drop in a K&N filter. Do not waste your money on a cheap intake. It will throw codes like a mutha.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Parts-Acces ... m245.l1514

have a shop weld it on for you. Can shaped ones sound like fart cans beware. The dual tip and the oval tip ones that are flat have a lower tone. I have a Greddy fake and it held up well and sounds good. Not sold on ebay anymore tho.

Snorkel removal thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20643&hilit=snorkel+removal
search for others on this mod.

hope this helps. The solara is a fun car. Do your thing to it and keep it with fresh fliuds and you'll be alright
TheGreenDutch
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 1gSE » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:11 am

dman3114 wrote:yo man, im pretty new to this site too lol, I recommend just looking around the site for info on different things, that's what I've been doing lol. If you need any help I'll try to help the best I can :)

Best post from a noob ever. :up: :up: :up:
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:05 pm

so you dont want to de badge because you want to save money for something else? de badging almost doenst require any money at all. lol

anyways. i was about your age when i bought my solara and its a long and pricey journey. after almost 5 years of owning the car its still "almost" to where i want it to be. Save your pennies do things right the first time.

500 for an exhaust is a little pricey imo, if your looking for a custom exhasut just go with a 2.5'' catback shouldnt run you more than 350-400 bucks.

intake, injen is a good choice but cpe is the best. Its also more expensive a used injen pops up every now and then for 100-150, when they do and you have some cash on the side do it!.

As for the "perfomance" chip to the ecu. dont even bother to waste your money on that its basically garbage. Save your cash for other needed mods. A TRD RSB (rear sway bar) would do you some good too. When your ready to drop it dont just slap lowering springs on your stock struts. Replace struts (kyb, tokicko, TRD) when you get springs if not just go with coilovers (megan, tein, JIC, Ksport/d2 but its also more expensive. I would say make the car look good before you want to go "fast" solaras are nice cars but look even cleaner when its dropped on wheels. So think about what you want to do wisely and do it right the first time. I would recomend buying a supercharger later down the road but if your trying to save up for an exhaust i dont think you want to think about the charger yet.

oh and welcome!
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6
Solaraguy's dopest driver
Solaraguy's dopest driver

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5