[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - One-way check valve on IAC and methanol injection don't mix
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

One-way check valve on IAC and methanol injection don't mix

One-way check valve on IAC and methanol injection don't mix

Postby SirThomas88 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:51 am

Intro
If you have a TRD supercharger on your 1MZ-FE you should probably read through this.

My car has been experiencing four pronounced problems and I think I found the culprit. Important things to know about my car is that my Camry is a 2000 v6 Supercharged, 5-speed manual, and methanol injected about 6" before the throttle body.

Problem 1: Poor Idle / Stalling
For roughly year or more now, my car has been occasionally idling poorly and sometimes stalling after coming off the highway and to a stop (especially after hard boosting). I had removed and cleaned out the IAC last summer with TB cleaner and it improved slightly for a very short amount of time. This summer, I have been avoiding turning on my A/C because when I do the RPM's would drop to around 500 and the car felt horrible and even stalled once or twice.

Problem 2: Occasional Lean Condition at Idle
Sometimes, and often after engine breaking, my car will idle low, rough, and my Air Fuel Ratio (AFR) gauge reads lean, often above 18:1 (gauge cannot read higher than that). It will often stay like this for moments or minutes, until finally slowly readjusting to the correct 14.8:1 ratio. Usually, stepping on the throttle for a bit helps to return it to normal.

Problem 3: Boost Leak
As winter was ending, I noticed that my boost gauge was reading that I wasn't making full boost. I've got a 5.5PSI pulley, and I was only reading 4 - 4.5lbs peak boost, and it would gradually rise as I got to redline. It also was somewhat inconsistent, sometimes the leak was 1 PSI, sometimes only 0.5 PSI. I checked my boost gauge for leaks and such, couldn't find a solution.

Problem 4: Consistent stalling at idle.
This started occurring about a week ago. Every time upon coming to a stop after getting off the highway my car would immediately stall. If I was cruising on the highway and depressed the clutch pedal, the RPMs would drop right to 0 and the car would shut off. Sometimes it would hover around 100 or 200 before dying. The first time this happened, it stopped after half a day and worked for the rest of the evening until I got back on the highway and drove home. After that, it had been happening consistently once my car was warmed up. I would have to apply gas at stop signs to keep the car around 1k RPM.

Soluton 1, 3, & 4: Sticky/Rusted/Broken One-Way Check Valve on IAC
Since I have a supercharger, I had installed a plastic one-way check valve on the vacuum line running off of the Idle Air Control (IAC). The purpose of this is to prevent boost from leaking back through the IAC vacuum line and into the throttle body.

Upon dissasembling my intake to inspect and clean my IAC, I tested the check valve by blowing into it (and stupidly sucking air through it which resulted in copious amounts of rust on my tongue :facepalm:). I also noticed that air was passing through both directions, and not very well either. This valve is the same sort as the one used in the break booster. Pictures of check valve at bottom

I replaced the check valve and hose with new vacuum hose w/o a check valve. But upon testing it, the car had not improved and was still stalling instantly at idle if I wasn't on the gas. Took me three days before I tried blowing through a hose into the bottom of the IAC to find out that the IAC was stuck as well. It is my belief that rust and debris from the broken/rusty IAC valve spring had gotten lodged into the IAC and was preventing it from moving. Since when I first blew into the IAC, I could feel it come loose.

Solution 2: Exhaust Leak?
My car still sometimes goes lean at idle, but I think it's because the gasket for my rear header to the y-pipe is leaking (I know it's leaking). It's my belief that after heavy boosting or engine breaking, it sucks in fresh air from outside, causing my rear O2 sensors (and my AFR gauge sensor) to read very lean, causing a rich condition which causes the car to idle poorly. This is just a theory. I'll be replacing the gasket soon. If anyone has any better idea (failing pump, O2 sensors, injectors) do tell!

Conclusion and Thoughts
Today I installed all new IAC vacuum hose and took it for a drive. The car is idling around 800 - 900 RPM when warm, and around 700 RPM with the A/C on. I've only driven the car for about 45 mins, but considering the problem would occur immediately after the car warmed up, it seems to have been fixed. The car's idle feels smooth and consistent.

It seems likely to me that the methanol which I inject directly before the throttle body probably rusted out the spring mechanism in the one way check valve, resulting in it becoming increasingly stuck over time. It probably was stuck half open, half closed, which is why I was both loosing boost, and at the same time not idling properly. Likely, over the past year the stopper inside the valve probably would move around and get stuck in different positions of open and closed, resulting in inconsistent symptoms. This would make sense why the symptoms would occur most after doing heavy boosting on the highway and coming to a stop. The boost pressure from the S/C probably would force the check valve to get stuck closed. Eventually, it either got stuck entirely closed, and/or debris from it got stuck in the IAC, causing a consistent and instant stall at idle.

14.11s 101mph quarter mile. 5 Speed v6 Supercharged @ 5.5psi
SirThomas88
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: One-way check valve on IAC and methanol injection don't

Postby 1gSE » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:39 am

Interesting. I haven't had any issues (sometimes I inject pure water) Correct me if I'm wrong, but that line with the check valve goes from the middle fitting on the IAC to the air assist for the injectors right? I have that fitting and the the air assist capped off. I'm curious about the boost leak though. The only place I could see it leaking would be where its bolted to the manifold or the boost port itself. Are you sure the line to the gauge isn't pinched somewhere, especially since you said its inconsistent? I have the same pulley and I hit 6-6.5 psi regularly, and 7 when spraying water/alky. With the old fitting I had on the blower it would be pressed down by the hood. Boost readings were fine, but when in vacuum and off the throttle, the gauge would sometimes stick at 10in hg or where ever
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby SirThomas88 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:37 am

Hmm. Well it's my understanding that boost pressure will escape through the IAC line.. but maybe I'm wrong? Yeah, the line goes from the middle fitting of the IAC to two ports somewhere on the heads, but honestly that's the extent of my knowledge.

I'm pretty darn sure the line to my gauge isn't kinked, i've had it kinked once before and it would react slowly. It reacts pretty fast now and I've checked for kinks and I haven't found any. Also, the fitting on my supercharger is an elbow fitting and sits under the TRD strut tower bar so it's definitely clearing the hood.

So wait, are you saying you have your IAC plugged off???
SirThomas88
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 1gSE » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:58 am

When I did the install I didn't remember which hose came off that particular fitting (dont even remember taking it off) and I didn't see anything in the instructions (found it later on the supplement) So when I first started the car I had a massive vacuum leak and it idled horribly. When I figured out what it was, I just stuck a cap on it and never had a problem since. Its been like that since january. The other 2 are connected, just not that one
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby hskrsolara » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:43 am

great thread SirThomas. I have been having similar issues, I will check this out.

how tough was the IAC removal/install?
99 DWP SEV6 5spd 6.5psi+Meth, Tein+Tokico, EricSol+Brembos+EBC, OBX Headers+OBX 3" Exhaust, Supra MAF & 330cc, Spec 2+, Fidanza, TRD lip kit, Injen+Ext, Optima Red, Infinity 60.5+693.7i, 2 Kappa Perfect 12 VQ's+iPod+JVC DVD...etc
hskrsolara
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby SirThomas88 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:26 pm

The IAC is not hard to remove. It's under the throttle body. You need to unscrew your intake, use a ratchet to detach the throttle body, and then unscrew the IAC from under the TB and disconnect the two coolant hoses and the intake hose (middle one). Then spray throttle body cleaner in there.
SirThomas88
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SirThomas88 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:11 pm

But when unscrewing the IAC be careful not to strip the screws. I think I actually used locking pliers to loosen the screws first.
SirThomas88
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Raw-lara » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:01 pm

Im not boosted but my car was doing the same thing with the idle! I cleanded the TB, changed the TB sensor, replaced fuel lines, fuels pump, fuel filter, MAS sensor, and EGR valve. Still had bad idle :-( I took it to the dealership and they said "we cant seem to find the prob. Wait till it gets worse so it throws another code" ...hmm thats strange wtf are they ASE certified for if they cant find the problem??

Anyway I kept messing with it and I finally got it to run good when I unplugged the EGR valve . This isnt how I want to be driving it, but it gets me around .. I still dont know why its doing that so if anyone has tips I would appreciate some help thx
Raw-lara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SirThomas88 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:55 pm

Sounds like your EGR valve is leaking if unplugging ur EGR helped. Try removing the EGR and testing it for leaks. Or replace it.

Edit: I take that back. If all you did was unplug the sensor, then it should still be leaking and causing the problem. So iono what to tell u.
SirThomas88
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Raw-lara » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:52 pm

SirThomas88 wrote:Sounds like your EGR valve is leaking if unplugging ur EGR helped. Try removing the EGR and testing it for leaks. Or replace it.

Edit: I take that back. If all you did was unplug the sensor, then it should still be leaking and causing the problem. So iono what to tell u.

Yea I thought that was my problem too. I exchanged it twice but nothing changed the car still idled like a motorcycle
Raw-lara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 1gSE » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:12 pm

raw-lara I had that exact same problem a few years ago. I pulled the egr valve off thinking it probably had a bunch of carbon build up making it stick open, but that wasn't the case (also got a CEL for egr excessive flow) It idled like it had a huge cam, reeked of fuel and got terrible gas mileage for a few days. I was just about to order a new one when I decided to unplug it. The car went back to normal instantly. I plugged it back in and everything was fine. I still don't know what made it stick open :think: That happened 3 1/2 years ago and its been fine since
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby SirThomas88 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:33 pm

Whoah that's weird. There was one day several years ago before I had my S/C or headers or most of my mods, and I remember I would come to a stop at a light and the engine bay just reeked of fuel as well! It went away after that day without me doing anything and never came back. Totally weird. I don't remember the car idling poorly but I can't be sure. Never did figure that out.
SirThomas88
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 1gSE » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:41 pm

yeah it is...but I don't mind when the car fixes itself :)
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby SleeperSolara » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:13 pm

Man this sounds like my car with the rough idle, stalling.......

"SirThomas88" - Did you have a CEL ?? What code was it??
2000 Solara SE auto V6. Diamond White Pearl.
Top Speed Run finished at 130 mph. :o
Too many modifcations for the signature.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby Raw-lara » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:35 pm

1gSE wrote:yeah it is...but I don't mind when the car fixes itself :)

Lol I been waiting for that day ! I had my car for just over a year and it hasnt gotten better.

SleeperSolara wrote:Man this sounds like my car with the rough idle, stalling.......

"SirThomas88" - Did you have a CEL ?? What code was it??

IDK if my problem is the same but my code is p1410, p1411 (only on when I unplug my EGR to drive. when EGR is plugged in I have no codes at all)
Raw-lara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Next

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5