[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - CatBack help!! IM BUYING TOMORROW PLEASE!!
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

CatBack help!! IM BUYING TOMORROW PLEASE!!

CatBack help!! IM BUYING TOMORROW PLEASE!!

Postby zaior3684 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:48 pm

Okay so tomorrow I am buying a catback system for my 00 solara SLE. I want to get the OBX it is cheaper than the Megan Racing, and eventually i wanna get OBX Headers. But all i read everywhere is that I will lose a lot of low end torque. Is that made back up with high end torque that you can notice? I just dont feel it necessary to spend an extra 115 dollars on Megan Racing. I am no S/C 'd right now, but there is a possibility that i might eventually. If i get both OBX headers and OBX Catback will i still notice a Big difference in HP even if i dont S/C!? Also does it sound deep like a good exhaust system? Thanks in advance doug
2000 SLE
[x] Tint (35% Front 5% back)
[x] Subwoofer (12in Kicker L7)
[x] Head Unit (Double Din JVC)
[] Exhaust
[x] Debadge
[x] Air Intake ( Built Myself :D)
[x] Plasti Dip Grill
[x] Plasti Dip Wheels
zaior3684
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: CatBack help!! IM BUYING TOMORROW PLEASE!!

Postby parkc96 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:22 am

the obx exhaust is a 3 inch exhaust from what ive been able to figure out, the megan racing exhaust is a 2.5 inch... either will be good for a S/C but if u get the obx cat-back before a S/C you will loose low end torque because of the loss of back pressure.

2000 camry 4 cylinder: rims, tint, spoiler, head unit, partially debadged, custom catback, custom grille... more to come.
parkc96
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby zaior3684 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:29 am

parkc96 wrote:the obx exhaust is a 3 inch exhaust from what ive been able to figure out, the megan racing exhaust is a 2.5 inch... either will be good for a S/C but if u get the obx cat-back before a S/C you will loose low end torque because of the loss of back pressure.

Yeah I got that much, but if I lose the Low-End Torque, will i still have plenty of high-end torque?
2000 SLE
[] Exhaust
[x] Debadge
[x] Plasti Dip Grill
[x] Plasti Dip Wheels
zaior3684
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 1gSE » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:55 am

you should see some gains in the upper rpm range because of the increased flow, but I cant say how much. I dont remember anyone ever putting their car on the dyno before and after the exhaust
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby zaior3684 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:04 am

1gSE wrote:you should see some gains in the upper rpm range because of the increased flow, but I cant say how much. I dont remember anyone ever putting their car on the dyno before and after the exhaust

Alright thanks. I guess I'll ask you. If i buy the OBX exhaust i will also be able to afford the headers. However if i get the Megan Racing i will not be able to afford both. However i doubt i will S/C it. Is it worth it to get the OBX exhaust and headers over the Megan Racing which shows a torque increase throughout the spectrum?
2000 SLE
[] Exhaust
[x] Debadge
[x] Plasti Dip Grill
[x] Plasti Dip Wheels
zaior3684
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 1gSE » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:57 am

If it were me, and I wasn't planning on going the s/c route, I'd probably go with the Megan exhaust, or go to a muffler shop and get one custom made. Sure the OBX is cheaper, but losing the low end torque is going to effect where you spend most of the time driving. As far as headers, even other sc'd guys have said they really aren't necessary until you start pushing more boost. Also, I dont think anyone has dyno'd before and after with these either on a stock motor, so it could be a waste of money, but who knows. Or you can try them out, and report back to us. One more thing, you will lose the cat with the headers, so that should be taken into consideration if your state requires emissions testing, but getting a cat welded on shouldn't cost very much
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Midias » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:59 am

My 5speed has

CPE intake
Multi Spark Ignition Module
Overbore throttle body
Dats Y pipe
Highflow Cat
Light weight Pulleys

Various other mods

I can honestly say the OBX catback sucked ass on my car. Low end went to crap and our cars make no high end anything OBX will not help that.

What are you talking about high end torque? Are you planning on keeping the car at 5k RPMs all day long? Low end is what makes a car fun from light to light.

Don't get the OBX get the megan or make your own. Personally I like the megan OE, probably because the RS with the slanted fart cannon is very ricerish.

I have tried about 7 different exhausts looking for the perfect combo of power and sound and OBX while it sounded great was not good on my car.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby zaior3684 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:06 am

Midias wrote:My 5speed has

CPE intake
Multi Spark Ignition Module
Overbore throttle body
Dats Y pipe
Highflow Cat
Light weight Pulleys

Various other mods

I can honestly say the OBX catback sucked ass on my car. Low end went to crap and our cars make no high end anything OBX will not help that.

What are you talking about high end torque? Are you planning on keeping the car at 5k RPMs all day long? Low end is what makes a car fun from light to light.

Don't get the OBX get the megan or make your own. Personally I like the megan OE, probably because the RS with the slanted fart cannon is very ricerish.

I have tried about 7 different exhausts looking for the perfect combo of power and sound and OBX while it sounded great was not good on my car.

Alright Thanks, I'll get the Megan Racing Drift Spec I think
2000 SLE
[] Exhaust
[x] Debadge
[x] Plasti Dip Grill
[x] Plasti Dip Wheels
zaior3684
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Midias » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:07 am

zaior3684 wrote:Alright Thanks, I'll get the Megan Racing Drift Spec I think

And what civic will you be putting it on?
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Midias » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:14 am

Also I bet this will fir the V6 no prob

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-SS30 ... 5adec1b61a

I think it is 2.5 I would contact the seller

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51987&p=610701&hilit=obx#p610701
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby zaior3684 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:20 am

Midias wrote:Also I bet this will fir the V6 no prob

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-SS30 ... 5adec1b61a

I think it is 2.5 I would contact the seller

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51987&p=610701&hilit=obx#p610701

It will not work ive checked. thanks for the tip though. Drift spec is fine, I am going to bring it to a local shop when i put in headers to have everything changed anyway.
2000 SLE
[] Exhaust
[x] Debadge
[x] Plasti Dip Grill
[x] Plasti Dip Wheels
zaior3684
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Midias » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:26 am

FARTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Enjoy it
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:09 pm

Midias wrote:
zaior3684 wrote:Alright Thanks, I'll get the Megan Racing Drift Spec I think

And what civic will you be putting it on?

LOL!
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Midias » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:14 pm

zaior3684 wrote:It will not work ive checked. thanks for the tip though. Drift spec is fine, I am going to bring it to a local shop when i put in headers to have everything changed anyway.

Did he say why it will not work because 4 and 6 exhausts are interchangeable.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby parkc96 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:37 pm

Midias wrote:
zaior3684 wrote:It will not work ive checked. thanks for the tip though. Drift spec is fine, I am going to bring it to a local shop when i put in headers to have everything changed anyway.

Did he say why it will not work because 4 and 6 exhausts are interchangeable.

4 cylinder doesnt have an o2 sensor im assuming thats why the v6 will work with 4 cylinder cuz the bung can be easily plugged but the 4 cylinder doesnt come with one.

2000 camry 4 cylinder: rims, tint, spoiler, head unit, partially debadged, custom catback, custom grille... more to come.
parkc96
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Next

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5