[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Morimoto Mini H1 Projectors
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

Morimoto Mini H1 Projectors

Morimoto Mini H1 Projectors

Postby nguyenSTX » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:56 pm

I always wanted projector headlights but was never in the mood to cut-up my headlights. So I picked up a HID Projector kit from The Retrofit Source on Cyber Monday. The projector install was very straight forward, open headlight, put in projectors, and close up the headlight :D. I couldn't use my 55w DDM Tuning HID kit because it could melt my projectors so I had to pick up the TRS 35w HID Kit. It doesn't seem as bright but it's still a big improvement over stock. There is some glare because the projectors sit so far back in the headlight. If I ever have to take apart the headlight again I'll probably paint the chrome reflector (and clear corners) silver to match the car. I could have painted them matte black but I didn't want to completely blacked out my car, I like the contrast. This was my first headlight mod so below is a guide not a tutorial.

Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (H1)
Morimoto Mini H1 4.1 bi-xenon projectors w/ clear lenses
Mini Gatling Gun Shrouds
Adapter Plate: H4
HID
Ballasts: Morimoto 3Five (35w)
Bulbs: H1: Morimoto 3Five 5000K
H4 Plug n Play Bi-xenon Relay Harness (NOTE: if you use this harness, it's a bit backwards for our cars. It was a pain to figure out because you have to switch the pins around, but that is for another tread)

Step 1 - If you're not using a new headlight, clean the headlight best with a good headlight restoration kit. To remove the headlight you will have to remove the front grill and corner lights to access the bolts on both sides and the top. It takes a little work and maneuvering to pull out the headlight. After cleaning the headlight I baked it for 11 min and 220 degrees F. Using some flat head screw drivers, I pry off the lens all the way a around. I also use a heat gun to heat up the glue (or you can put it back in the oven) when it started cooling. The black plastic was defiantly soft when it was heated so there a bunch of screw driver marks all the way around the headlight. Take apart the headlight you can remove the bulb cover in side.
Step 2 - Prepping the projector. Remove the bulb holder brackets from the back of the projectors. Attach the Mini Gatling Gun should with 4 screws in the back. Add the large rubber washer to the other end. I also use some foil tape to tape down the solenoid wires to the projectors so they are less visible in the reflections.
Step 3 - Slide the projector into place and attached the H4 plate from the back of the headlight.
Step 4 - CAREFULLY attached the locking ring next. The ring is made of aluminum and is easy to strip. I used needle nose pliers and ended up stripping one locking ring (had to order another pair $5). It's important to have it on tight or else the projector will vibrate.
Step 5 - Reattach the bulb holder bracket.
Step 6 - Double check everything is on tight, add additional glue (optional) and place everything back in the oven to warm up the glue. I press the headlight back together using my hands and a C-Clamp. The more clamps the better I only had one and worked my way around. Just for insurance I went around the headlight with some more extreme weather foil tape to seal it up.
I will add more pics later of the cut off later.
1999 Toyota Solara SE 4 cyl 5s-fe Auto
nguyenSTX
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Morimoto Mini H1 Projectors

Postby Bobolara » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:42 pm

Looks good, did you have any other complications? I ordered the same kit, just not sure when I'll ever get around to installing it.
Bobolara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby pwizzle » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:01 pm

I was planning on getting the same projectors for my car but I wasn't too sure about which shroud to get, but after seeing the gatling installed, I gotta say, it looks pretty good. Props on upgrading to projectors. Now, no more glare to oncoming drivers!
"To be is to do" - Plato
"To do is to be" - Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Sinatra
"Scooby Dooby Dooo!!" - Scooby Doo
pwizzle
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby nguyenSTX » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:03 pm

I still need to do some adjusting, the right side is slanting to much. I might upgrade the bulbs to the Morimoto XB35 for more light, anyone try them before?... Just for fun, I ordered another pair of Mini Gatling shrouds. I'm hoping to retrofit them in to the turn signals so they match better with the headlight.
nguyenSTX
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby dinoxor » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:56 pm

nice write up!
at first I was too scared to do this but this has given me more confidence now!
just a quick question.

1. What kind of glue did you use to reseal the surrounding?
2. Is it mandatory to bake the whole housing in the oven or can you just use a heat gun to loosen the glue.
and
3. Roughly how much did this all cost you excluding the hid bulb and ballast kit.

thanks!
dinoxor
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby nguyenSTX » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:55 pm

1. I bought extra glue stuff from TRS but I didn't use very much of it.
2. I'm sure you can just use a heatgun but it'll take you a lot longer.
3. I bought everything together $280 (including glue $10) - 25% Cyber Monday Coupon = $210 + shipping.
Retail it's $120 just for the projectors, I suggest liking them on Face Book and wait for a coupon code.
nguyenSTX
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Bobolara » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:46 am

Finally found the motivation and installed my set the other day. Only problem was that the plastic base plate of my bulbs don't fit with the new smaller spring so I had to order the TRS bulbs. bulbs are being held in by the rubber plug on the back, seems ok for now. Overall it looks alot better and and the glare isn't as bad, took me few hours to install. Most of the time was spent trying to get one of my corner lights to stay on because I broke the tab where they screw into.
Bobolara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SleeperSolara » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:08 am

Looks pretty good man.
You should save up and go all out.
2000 Solara SE auto V6. Diamond White Pearl.
Top Speed Run finished at 130 mph. :o
Too many modifcations for the signature.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby sydemoid » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:00 pm

I did mine with Morimoto mini D2S.... just an FYI, the D2S projector looks bigger than the H1, so you're going to have to custom cut the shroud to fit.
Geeks get it done, while Nerds whimper and call for mommie.
sydemoid
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5