[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - HIDs
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

HIDs

Re: HIDs

Postby timeforlegitness » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:52 am

lol sorry didn't have time to read that I was about to head to work when I made that post. nice site for hid kits
timeforlegitness
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby sk8r776 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:14 pm

This is where i got my HID's from for my solara. Best ones i ever bought. Will be buying more for other cars. :D

'93 Civic LX --> '02 Accord SE 5-Speed --> '01 Solara SE 5-Speed --> '06 350z Base Rev-UP

Mods
Hid Conversion 8K + 3K, Injen SRI, GLP CAI extension, Lots more to come.
sk8r776
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby solara_aggie » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:31 pm

First - Aloha to all again. I had to sell my '04 Lara when I moved to Hawaii... really broke my heart, but I was able to find a great deal for a gen 1 here, so I am back and starting the customize phase all over again. I got the VVME slim digital kit (h4) today, and the instructions kind of looked oversimplified and didn't really match with the physical kit. A few questions:
1. Did anyone have problems fitting the new bulb (with the metal shield) into the original housing?
2. Do you really need to install the relay, or can you just plug and play without it. Will the bixenon still work with PnP, or does the relay allow for the Hi/Low functionality.
3. If you do need the relay, it appears that you only connect the red wire from the relay to the battery. The ground wires appear to be associated with the line that goes to the ballast casing. Do I connect the ground to a bolt on the frame then?

Sorry for the noob-ish questions, wiring is not my expertise. I figured it would be a simple install like my Gen 2, but the kit has too many wires, and I am wondering if its just extras that we don't need for our Laras...

Mahalo!
solara_aggie
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Billdo » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:02 pm

So no to 3k fogs? I'm ordering a set this week and was debating between 3k or 6k to match my headlights. Anyone have any clearer pics?
Billdo
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby dinoxor » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:58 pm

solara_aggie wrote:First - Aloha to all again. I had to sell my '04 Lara when I moved to Hawaii... really broke my heart, but I was able to find a great deal for a gen 1 here, so I am back and starting the customize phase all over again. I got the VVME slim digital kit (h4) today, and the instructions kind of looked oversimplified and didn't really match with the physical kit. A few questions:
1. Did anyone have problems fitting the new bulb (with the metal shield) into the original housing?
2. Do you really need to install the relay, or can you just plug and play without it. Will the bixenon still work with PnP, or does the relay allow for the Hi/Low functionality.
3. If you do need the relay, it appears that you only connect the red wire from the relay to the battery. The ground wires appear to be associated with the line that goes to the ballast casing. Do I connect the ground to a bolt on the frame then?

Sorry for the noob-ish questions, wiring is not my expertise. I figured it would be a simple install like my Gen 2, but the kit has too many wires, and I am wondering if its just extras that we don't need for our Laras...
Mahalo!

1) I think I installed mine with the metal shield removed. I might be wrong but it has been years since I installed mine.
2) You can plug and play without it. The relay allows for HI/LO Functionality. Without it I THINK your bulb will just turn off when you trigger your hi beams
3) Correct, red goes the battery and black goes to ground. Yes connect the ground to a bolt. If possible sand the paint where the ground makes contact to the bolt/frame/wherever so that you will have a good ground connect. Or clean with rubbing alcohol.
Without a good ground connection, your bulb might not turn on.
Trust me, I've dealt with many headaches trying to diagnose why my bulb does not turn on despite a working bulb and ballast.
if I haven't made myself clear grounding is VERY important.

Good luck!

Billdo wrote:So no to 3k fogs? I'm ordering a set this week and was debating between 3k or 6k to match my headlights. Anyone have any clearer pics?

It is entirely up to you!
If you want piss pale yellow, go ahead with 3k! UNless you wrapped your fog with yellow tint then it will give you a better looking yellow

This is the only picture I have with my fog lights.
If you look at the left fog light and the sidewalk, you'll can somewhat make out what I mean.
This picture was taken to claim my warranty for a broken bulb by the way.

As if right now I have matching 6k headlights and fog lights.
Honestly, at first I liked it; but, if I could go back in time, I would order matching 5k headlights and fog lights.

The slight blue in 6ks are nice and does not look as ricey as the blue 8ks.
But I feel even the slightest blue associates myself to all those beat-up hondas around my area.

5ks however, gives better output and just looks classier and cleaner.

Sorry for the rant. Hope this helps!
dinoxor
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Billdo » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:00 am

Ive had my 6ks for going on a year now and they're fantastic. I would however consider going to a 5k bulb. As far as fog lights though I've run stock for ever and about 4 months ago swapped in some ebay "yellow" bulbs. Theyre not yellow. They're like a tan, darker than stock. I hate them. I wanted to go HID but Im stuck between 3k and 5k or 6k. I want a true yellow and some kits Ive seen aren't yellow enough for me.
Billdo
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Billdo » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:52 am

Well I went with the 3k HIDs for my fogs. Installation was a breeze. However, the bulb color isn't what I expected. At all actually. It looks like neon green when initially turned on which Ive read is normal. It never actually changes though to the golden yellow. It will get a little more yellow but nowhere near golden yellow like described on all the color charts and the bulb pictures online. I read this is the bulb not heating up properly. Kind of annoyed. I am debating whether I should exchange these for another pair of 3k bulbs or just get 6k bulbs to match my headlights.
Billdo
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby dinoxor » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:45 pm

tollddddd youuuuuuu soooooo
if you want golden yellow, add some yellow vinyl and it should output a more yellow look.
other than that, get 6ks
dinoxor
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Billdo » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:57 am

I am definetly going to go with 6ks. Im shocked at how some HID kits Ive seen around town are so yellow and then these are more green. They're more yellow today than they were when I first installed them but not "golden yellow" like advertised. I am waiting to here back from the company as they asked me to tell them the info on the tag thats on the bulb to verify that they sent the right one. They definetly did which I told them, I am just not happy with the product. Hopefully there are no issues but even if there are HID bulbs are cheap enough where I can take it as a loss and move on. Different manufacturers bulbs fit different ballasts right? Ideally I'll just swap out the bulbs and not the whole kit as I've mounted everything and its all good.
Billdo
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby dinoxor » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:08 pm

Yeah you should be able swap just the bulbs. But don't get the eBay ones!
For DDM, if you buy the bulb separately, you'll only receive a one warranty in contrast to a lifetime warranty, just keep that in mind
dinoxor
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby sk8r776 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:50 pm

I think the color is almost dead on. 3k is not supposed to be yellow like you will see from ebay ones. If you want really dark yellow i would put 3k HID + yellow tint over the fog light. That's how you'll get a proper dark yellow.

'93 Civic LX --> '02 Accord SE 5-Speed --> '01 Solara SE 5-Speed --> '06 350z Base Rev-UP

Mods
sk8r776
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Billdo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:00 am

To be honest after driving last night in misty crappy weather, I actually like the way they look. They're noticeably more yellow now but not amber. Its weird, but they're growing on me. 6ks should be on the way though this week. Now I am torn. Worst comes to worst I guess I'll have a back up pair.
Billdo
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby sk8r776 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:02 pm

I was running 6k + 3k for a while. Now i have 8k + 3k. I forced my GF to get 3k because of how well they perform in bad weather.

Picture of the front of mine in daytime:

Mods
sk8r776
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Nemesis85 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:00 am

I have never purchased HID's from VVME... My roommate is thinking about getting some from them. I got my 6000k HID's from DDMTuning 4 years ago now. Still running same as they did when i first installed them. No flicker, no color change or light decrease. Best part is I paid $40 plus shipping for them.

Now I just got my 3000k Fogs from them for $35.00 Cant wait to install them. One question tho... and this is a BIG QUESTION I HAVE. lol. I noticed a lot of you on this thread have installed HID's for fogs. Where do you guys keep or mount the ballasts so they don't bounce around and are not damaged??? I'm installing mine on Friday and am curious where to keep the ballasts or if i should physically mount them, and where to do it. THanks!
Nemesis85
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Billdo » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:53 am

I used double sided tape and put it right on top of the fog light housing itself. It was a good spot for me but Im sure there are better.
Billdo
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

PreviousNext

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5