[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Losing weight vs. Adding power
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

Losing weight vs. Adding power

Losing weight vs. Adding power

Postby minig646 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:01 pm

There are quite literally a billion topics on here about making cars faster, and 99% of them have to do with adding power. All that does is improve acceleration though, but losing weight improves acceleration, cornering, braking, fuel economy, everything. Wouldn't that be a more worthwhile project? Any ideas? I just got used to my old 2,000 pound mr2 and now a 3300 pound solara just feels too porky.
minig646
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Losing weight vs. Adding power

Postby 1gSE » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:56 am

FINALLY! A tech topic. My thought is its all about the owner and how much he/she is willing to sacrifice. Of course you can do easy things like removing the spare, jack and other simple/easy things. But the true hardcore gear heads may get into things like removing sound deadening, a/c, gutting the interior, removing un-sprung weight. You want to see heavy? Check out my sig lol
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby minig646 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:58 am

Stock rims are heavy, but wouldn't lighter rims just raise the center of gravity? My first thought would be to start from the top. I wonder how much the sunroof and motors weigh? Maybe some plastic and smaller motors? That'd probably be negligible...
minig646
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ThatVietGuy » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:40 am

Wheels and coilovers would get rid of a lot of unsprung weight. You can replace the driver's seat with a bucket seat and that would save a fair amount of weight.

Anything else, though, is really down to what 1gSE said. You can get rid of a lot of things, but in the end, you'd be sacrificing the livability of the car.
ThatVietGuy
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5