[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Auxiliary lighting?
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

Auxiliary lighting?

Auxiliary lighting?

Postby minig646 » Sun May 27, 2012 6:45 pm

The other night I was driving down a lonely road on a dark rainy night, and was having real trouble seeing the road markings. I don't want HIDs but the stock fogs just aren't enough for me. As long as there are no cars coming the other way (don't wanna be a dick to other drivers) and I only use them in extreme circumstances, I don't see why I can't have as much light as I want.

My question is, has anyone had any success with auxiliary lighting? My friend's firebird has rectangular 100w fog lights that would hide nicely in the slits in the lower bumper. I don't want anything to look different as I'm sure they wouldn't legal. Would 100 watts melt the bumper cover? Any other thoughts?
minig646
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Auxiliary lighting?

Postby sk8r776 » Wed May 30, 2012 1:26 pm

why do you not want hid's? They will put out a ton of light. If its because of the color you might be thinking of 10k hid's which are a very blue light. I run 6k and they are barely blue tinted. I get 3200 lumens out of my hid's. check out VVME.

These are the best ones i ever bought. Perfect color. Awesome light output. Just amazing quality.
http://www.vvme.com/automotive/hid-headlights/hi-low-one-beam-in-hid-hid-ki

'93 Civic LX --> '02 Accord SE 5-Speed --> '01 Solara SE 5-Speed --> '06 350z Base Rev-UP

Mods
Hid Conversion 8K + 3K, Injen SRI, GLP CAI extension, Lots more to come.
sk8r776
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby minig646 » Wed May 30, 2012 6:28 pm

I have HID headlights and I'm not happy with how they perform in the stock headlight housing and I don't want to shell out big bucks to retrofit projectors. Where did you even mount the ballasts for your HID fogs?
minig646
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby pwizzle » Wed May 30, 2012 8:14 pm

You should check out theretrofitsource.com. They have mini H1 and mini d2s projectors that are basically plug & play, and they're relatively cheap at $120 per set.
"To be is to do" - Plato
"To do is to be" - Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Sinatra
"Scooby Dooby Dooo!!" - Scooby Doo
pwizzle
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby dinoxor » Wed May 30, 2012 11:43 pm

And you might wanna check out this mini retrifit tutorial viewtopic.php?f=20&t=53338

Best mod for the buck imo
dinoxor
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby sk8r776 » Thu May 31, 2012 7:52 pm

I got the digital slim kit. So my balasts are maybe 1/4" to 1/2" thick. Used double sided tape and stuck them on the frame. Iff you pull the cover off from under the front lip, you can see your fog lense then towards the motor there are pieces of the frame that are clear of everything. Used some engine degreaser. Cleaned the area up real good, then covered the bottom of the ballast in double sided tape and bam. Took a good 2 hours to get them installed where i wanted and everything. But Im really picky, The vvme ones look nice in the oem housing. Because they are not over colored. I photoshopped my sig they are not as blue.

'93 Civic LX --> '02 Accord SE 5-Speed --> '01 Solara SE 5-Speed --> '06 350z Base Rev-UP

Mods
sk8r776
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby minig646 » Thu May 31, 2012 9:10 pm

All good suggestions... All more expensive than throwing some old fashioned halogens on there, but it sounds to me like it's time to get a job...
minig646
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby sk8r776 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:07 pm

Never realized you were so close to me. lol Your in Philly. Im in Delaware. lol Jobs are herd to come by here... :painting:

Mods
sk8r776
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby minig646 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:50 pm

Jobs are easy to come by. Jobs that pay decent and don't work to slowly destroy your soul and dignity... Now those are hard to come by.
minig646
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby pwizzle » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:49 pm

Working at google seems like one of those rare jobs that do just that. But I hear it's one helluva pita to get it.
"To be is to do" - Plato
"To do is to be" - Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Sinatra
"Scooby Dooby Dooo!!" - Scooby Doo
pwizzle
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5