[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - DESPERATE FOR HELP, front suspension squeaking or creaking
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

DESPERATE FOR HELP, front suspension squeaking or creaking

DESPERATE FOR HELP, front suspension squeaking or creaking

Postby hari-bhari » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:58 pm

I recently got a new set of tokico struts and eibach springs installed, and for the life of me can not get rid of this squeak noise from the front right.

So far : the spring is brand new, tried two brand new struts, two brand new strut mounts (monroe and kyb) and a new upper spring seat insulator. Silicone lubricant spray gets rid of the noise for a few hours but then it's back. I've posted a video that hopefully demonstrates the sound but neither me nor my mechanic can find it and get rid of it.

I recorded some video (just for the audio) from inside the car to see if that helps.

Video 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rguICuQESeE&
Video 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idCvig_tLnQ
Sound Clip: http://www2.zippyshare.com/v/94132584/file.html

HELP PLEASE!!
hari-bhari
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Re: DESPERATE FOR HELP, front suspension squeaking or creaki

Postby SteveSolara » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:27 pm

Have you checked the strut and the things that are mounted on there, there is a small thin bar that connects it tot he balljoint? but check the bults on that and see if it is loose or the bar it self is bad.
Image Image
SteveSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby hari-bhari » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:28 pm

hmm are you referring to the tie rod?
hari-bhari
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby SteveSolara » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:14 pm

Yeah i think, its the only rod with a ball joint on both ends that is mounted to the strut
Image Image
SteveSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Akfahad » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:08 pm

the only other thing I could suggest after reading everything else you've done, is if the spring is seated correctly in the mount...could also try just loobing the hell out of it to negate that possibility.
Akfahad
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby SteveSolara » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:43 pm

Akfahad wrote:the only other thing I could suggest after reading everything else you've done, is if the spring is seated correctly in the mount...could also try just loobing the hell out of it to negate that possibility.

Yes look at that as well, there is never enough lube so lube that bitch up
Image Image
SteveSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby hari-bhari » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:40 pm

The bottom of the spring is seated in that notch on the lower insulator and the top just sits against the upper insulator. I don't believe there's a notch at the top. Funny thing is that every time the car is raised and things are inspected, the noise goes away for 5-10 minutes before coming back. My mechanic is considering removing the fender and trying to look at what is going on.
hari-bhari
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby SteveSolara » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:14 pm

hari-bhari wrote:The bottom of the spring is seated in that notch on the lower insulator and the top just sits against the upper insulator. I don't believe there's a notch at the top. Funny thing is that every time the car is raised and things are inspected, the noise goes away for 5-10 minutes before coming back. My mechanic is considering removing the fender and trying to look at what is going on.

Check around the suspension it could be something else, not just the strut or the mounts. Se if there is any movements or play in all the joints.
Image Image
SteveSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby hari-bhari » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:41 pm

thanks for all the help thus far. the torque on the top nuts was checked and he doesnt think that was the problem. tomorrow he is installing a new spring upper seat (the metal hat at the top of the spring) and swapping the L and R spring (since now the strut mount (twice), strut (twice), lower insulator, and upper insulator have all been replaced). i hope it works but im not going to hold my breath.

i forgot to mention, all of this began when my front right spring somehow broke in half last november. i was hearing a clunking sound while driving and when he raised the car up, the spring was literally broken into two pieces and the strut mount and bearing was busted.

so eibach sent me a new set of springs under warranty and i ordered new set of struts from tokico and decided to have the whole setup replaced. i also purchased a new strut mount and lower insulator for the front right and had the whole assembly installed. since then i have had this noise and not been able to get rid of it.

does anyone think that something else may be damaged in light of this new information? my mechanic is a good honest guy who is well experience so i highly doubt he is intentionally screwing me, but we are both out of ideas at this point.
hari-bhari
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Texasolara86 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:29 pm

have you checked for worn tie rods? i know the clunking from my car on oem suspension is due to worn inner tie rods
Texasolara86
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby HARKEM » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:23 am

Check your rear control arm bushes maybe, mine just went on my drivers side and makes a metalic knock when going over bumbs..
2001 V6 CAMRY TOURING
DBA 4000 Slotted/Cross Drilled Rotors Front/Rear, EXEDY Stage 1 Race Clutch, FIDANZA 9lbs Flywheel,
Whiteline RSB & FSB, TRD Suspension, CUSTOM Headers&OBX CatBack, TRD S/C:)
HARKEM
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 1BADGTS » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:06 am

One thing I can tell you is that it is VERY easy to not have the strut mount correctly lined up with the notches in the strut when assembling the strut assembly. This can cause a metallic knocking sound over bumps or sometimes a metallic rubbing sound when turning. It is a common mistake during the assembly of the strut, but is easily fixed by disassembling the strut and making sure when you tighten the strut into the mount that it is properly lined up. I don't know if this maybe your problem, but I hope it helps !! Good luck !!
****THE FLEET****
2001 Toyota Highlander Limited V6 - "The Wifes"
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 5 Speed - Family Pimp Ride
1993 Toyota Celica GT-Four R/C Clone - Weekend Fun
1987 Toyota Supra Turbo 5 Speed Sport Roof - Just Because !!
1BADGTS
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Solarizona » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:48 pm

I've had the same setup for about 5 years and have never been able to get rid of the squeaking/creaking noise. About 2 years ago I installed all new Tokicos, mounts, and insulators on the front and have had the same noise I was experiencing before. Had them reassembled 3 times before giving up on it. Rides fine, but could never get rid of the noise. I'll be very interested if you get yours resolved.
TRD Bodykit, Eibach, Tokico, BBS, OBX headers/y-pipe, Custom 2.5" Magnaflow/Dynomax, PowerStop, Goodridge, AFE.
Solarizona
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby mdatrdcam » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:55 pm

it could be the sway bar links. that was my problem. they were very worn out and not torqued down enough. I replaced them and tightened the hell out of the bolt thats connected to the strut and that solved my issue. just a thought...
mdatrdcam
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby tooshorty » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:57 am

Solarizona wrote:I've had the same setup for about 5 years and have never been able to get rid of the squeaking/creaking noise. About 2 years ago I installed all new Tokicos, mounts, and insulators on the front and have had the same noise I was experiencing before. Had them reassembled 3 times before giving up on it. Rides fine, but could never get rid of the noise. I'll be very interested if you get yours resolved.

I had the same problem as well for about the same period of time until we found out the strut mounts were the issue. replaced those and it quit making the noise...man that was annoying.
Valley of the SUN!!!!
tooshorty
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Next

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5