[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Question about Intakes
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

Question about Intakes

Question about Intakes

Postby Nemesis85 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:06 am

Okay, so I'm about to purchase and install a SRI (Short Ram Intake). I live in Oregon and it is far too wet and rainy for me to want to install a full CAI (Cold Air Intake) :( :roll: So I'm looking into different options. I have done a bit of searching and have seen the post about Intake options and read that it says DON'T BUY THIS for the no name brands on eBay. A couple of friends that have built after market motors and such, explained to me that more or less, these "generic" brands are cheaper as they are simply a copy of a more well known brand, without the name and testing/advertisement behind the product. Ultimately I was curious how people feel about the intakes they have chosen, if anyone has purchased and is using one of these "generic" eBay brands, and what you guys would recommend. I was even thinking of purchasing one of the "generic" eBay ones and then throwin the extra $30-$40 bucks towards a custom fit K&N cone filter instead of the cheap filter that comes with it. All your input/direction/recommendations are highly appreciated. Thanks in advance :D

Here is a link to the SRI i was interested in possibly buying:
http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav= ... 0830053094
Nemesis85
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Question about Intakes

Postby 1gSE » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:26 am

This has been covered wwwwwaaaaayyyyyyyyyy too many times
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:57 am

^yes it has been covered a lot, anyways just to let you know real quick that link you posted, most of these ebay brand intakes are not the correct piping size. for example the injen intakes are a 2.75'' piping i beleive the ebay brands are a little bit larger and it will throw a check engine light. another thing with those cheap intakes is that they pipe is completely straight with no bends in it, what tends to happen with the straight pipes is that since the bend isnt there the intake falls off the coupler. Used to happen to me a lot with my ebay intake. i had to do custom brackets to hold it up, even then sometimes the intake was too heavy for the brackets in it would fall off.

point is, if you want something cheap just go with the OBX intake for the solara, same desing as the injen i beleive it missing a hole for a hose, so your going to have to tap into it.
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6
Solaraguy's dopest driver

Postby Nemesis85 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:43 pm

Ya, I typed in a few different searches all yielding several hundred results, and after an hour or so of searching, I posted this. If you aren't interested in posting some help, no need to post on my threads at all =]

Thank you ToyoSolV6 for the information. From what I had gathered on top of my personal preference, I was already leaning towards NO eBay brands lol. I appreciate your help and input =D a close friend of mine confirmed today that he can either A. custom weld a full CAI, or for about the same price, get a Injen SRI through a connection of his. So I'm gonna go with the SRI!!!
Nemesis85
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 1gSE » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:10 pm

It's not that I wasn't interested in helping, it's just the information is out there. Some of which I have replied to and others that include information about the very same issues ToyoSolV6 mentioned.

But for the sake of not being a dick, ToyoSolV6 is correct. The ebay intakes are 3 inches IIRC. They're pretty much just going to make noise. I have one, but I can't compare it to stock or even other brands because it was on the car when I bought it. I added a CAI extension to it (I also provided data about it providing cooler air vs the SRI) and I've been splashing in some serious puddles with no harm done. If you're driving through water deep enough to submerge the filter, you shouldn't be out driving at all. I also have a larger, longer filter that sits lower to the ground.
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby dinoxor » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:12 pm

If you want you can help a member out

1) $120: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=53712&p=626468
2) $150: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=53438
3) $150: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51450
dinoxor
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Nemesis85 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:54 pm

1gSE wrote:It's not that I wasn't interested in helping, it's just the information is out there. Some of which I have replied to and others that include information about the very same issues ToyoSolV6 mentioned.

But for the sake of not being a dick, ToyoSolV6 is correct. The ebay intakes are 3 inches IIRC. They're pretty much just going to make noise. I have one, but I can't compare it to stock or even other brands because it was on the car when I bought it. I added a CAI extension to it (I also provided data about it providing cooler air vs the SRI) and I've been splashing in some serious puddles with no harm done. If you're driving through water deep enough to submerge the filter, you shouldn't be out driving at all. I also have a larger, longer filter that sits lower to the ground.

Thanks bro, I appreciate the feedback. Ya like I mentioned, I literally was sitting here last night until about 12am just reading through endless posts about intakes, but couldn't find an exact answer to help me haha. A good friend of mine said to just go with the eBay, but even with his recommendation, I still have and always will feel no-so-good about purchasing a copied car part from some generic seller/manufacturer. Regarding the CAI... I'm greatly interested in purchasing/fabricating a CAI extension, but my concern lies in where I live. There are a couple roads that I drive on frequently that flood slightly in the winter, but you can never tell how deep the puddle is. I've gone through it in some cases and it's splashed up into my engine bay and caused my alternator belt to become so wet that it slips and takes about 20 seconds for it to catch the pully and grip again. I live in Oregon and it rains here ALL the damn time (oddly enough it's been dry the past 2 months, but strong storms are now in our forecast finally). So I am just nervous about the CAI idea...
Nemesis85
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Nemesis85 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:56 pm

Do you know any of these sellers personally? I actually found all three of those posts last night during my search, but all of them are outdated so it seemed as though they were no longer for sale, or had already been sold.
Nemesis85
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:36 am

One word of advice the injen intakes are good intake for the money, but i wouldnt suggest getting any oiled filtered..why? beacuase it damages our maf sensors. Get a dry filter Something you can clean without having to oil it up.
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6

Postby Nemesis85 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:34 pm

ToyoSolV6 wrote:One word of advice the injen intakes are good intake for the money, but i wouldnt suggest getting any oiled filtered..why? beacuase it damages our maf sensors. Get a dry filter Something you can clean without having to oil it up.

Thank you sir, I appreciate the suggestion. I have concluded that I will go with an Injen. I'm excited to finally get somethings done with my car this winter!
Nemesis85
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby pwizzle » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:32 am

Also, since you're concerned that much about flooding your engine when driving through puddles, then I would suggest getting an AEM air bypass valve. It goes in between the end of the Injen SRI and beginning of the UPFD CA extension and it makes it so that if you ever suck up any liquid, the bypass valve will close off the extension and open itself up to suck in air through there. Not sure where you reside at, but here in California, the puddles aren't that bad. There are some that are pretty deep, but not deep enough to get hydrolock, but with the bypass valve, it's a good precautionary device that gives you some peace of mind. The only downside to this is that you cannot be boosted since it could potentially suck in a part of the valve and rape your engine.
"To be is to do" - Plato
"To do is to be" - Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Sinatra
"Scooby Dooby Dooo!!" - Scooby Doo
pwizzle
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Nemesis85 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:41 am

Ya, I'm not planning on boosting... Just some basic modifications to body & style, and I was thinking of getting a Megan Racing Catback Drift Spec. I want to keep it clean and simple, you know?
Nemesis85
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby pwizzle » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:42 pm

Alright, since you're not boosting, then I would recommend the Injen SRI, UPFD CA extension, AEM dry flow air filter, AEM pre-filter, and the AEM air bypass valve. All that combined and you're golden. Reason for the pre-filter is that I don't have a pre-filter and just about EVERYTHING gets in between the pleats; ie bugs, feathers, rocks, etc.

Here's the links to each of the AEM products that I mentioned if you want to read up a little more about them:

Bypass valve
Dryflow air filter
Pre-filter

I know this is a lot of just one brand, but I just like the quality of some of their products
"To be is to do" - Plato
"To do is to be" - Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Sinatra
"Scooby Dooby Dooo!!" - Scooby Doo
pwizzle
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby PlateLunch » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:29 pm

PM trd4life, the UPFD extensions are discontinued, he is making stainless steel ones. The UPFD's were made out of aluminum and most of the used ones have a spot rubbed thin from movement on the frame, the SS ones are better. I have one and am stoked I bought it rather than a used one. He might also be able to hook you up with an injen SRI too. Good luck!
PlateLunch
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5