[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Tuning questions
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

Tuning questions

Tuning questions

Postby PlateLunch » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:15 pm

Howzit yall!? Couple questions about closed loop tuning. So, I need a scan tool that will give me real time feedback, but does the scan tool then allow me to adjust my trims or do I need to get a program to do that. And if I do need a program, should I buy a scan tool that works with a laptop so the program can interface with the car computer? I have a wideband installed for open loop and I am using an SAFC2 piggy back for reference.

I downloaded gadgets utune and something from the splitsecond people, but I guess I'm just missing some pieces here and there. If any one feels like breaking it down basic, I can figure the details out and I would greatly appreciate it.

word to the burd.
PlateLunch
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Tuning questions

Postby 1gSE » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:53 pm

You can't tune closed loop unless you have something to modify the O2 sensor signal. I use the AEM FIC with a resistor for each O2 sensor that allows me to add fuel at a certain rpm or MAP signal, or in my case, both. I know some guys are using the Split Second FTC. IIRC, it works in a similar way. Your other options would be the Emanage (which, from my understanding, requires purchasing more stuff to work properly) or a stand alone ECU.
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby 1BADGTS » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:44 pm

Yeah, 1gSE is correct. I actually own a Toyota Techstream and with these cars you cannot adjust fuel trims even with Toyota's own scantool. Some of the newer stuff (2007 and up) you can reflash your ECU, but only with flashes made by Toyota. So, Let's say you have a 2009 Tacoma and you installed the TRD supercharger, Toyota makes an updated map for the ECU. You download the new map with Techstream and reflash your ECU. For the older stuff though you need to go aftermarket to do any tuning. The Split Second stuff works very well. I run thier programmable MAP sensor on my celica and it works great !!
****THE FLEET****
2001 Toyota Highlander Limited V6 - "The Wifes"
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 5 Speed - Family Pimp Ride
1993 Toyota Celica GT-Four R/C Clone - Weekend Fun
1987 Toyota Supra Turbo 5 Speed Sport Roof - Just Because !!
1BADGTS
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby PlateLunch » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:06 pm

Ahh, thanks! Good info, now I see why there are no tutorials online, lol. Add another future purchase to the long list :)
PlateLunch
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Brandoe91 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:49 am

Good Question Plate on the closed loop tuning.

I always thought by adding and subtracting fuel in the Low throttle setting of the safc2 would be considered tuning the closed loop. Seeing that the car would be out of open loop and in closed during low throttle driving.

For those who want to learn more on DIY tuning, the URD u-tune guide that Plate is referring to is very informative.
Here is the link:
http://www.gadgetonline.com/U-Tune.pdf
TRD S/C 6psi - OBX Full Exhaust - Injen intake ( 226whp untuned).

New Setup - 3mzfe - obx full exhaust - aem fic - innovate mtx-l wideband - Cpe intake. (Estimated 220whp) dyno numbers coming soon.
Brandoe91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby PlateLunch » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:52 pm

I think you are doing that with the low throttle settings to a certain extent but I want to say the SAFC2 is just capping the upper limit that your injectors will output, I dialed all mine back -7% because there was about a 7% difference from the stock injectors and the n/a supra injectors. This should bring me back to near stock flow rate, which the EFI and computer then constantly adjust while in closed loop (short and long term trims). In theory this should keep you pretty close, but with all the mods we do I think eventually it will be smart to buy another controller and do the closed loop adjustments.

Almost wish I would have went with the split second at first but I think I am at a low enough boost/performance level that as long as I am on top of my mix at WOT the engine should be okay with the SAFC2 (got it dirt cheap so it worked with the build). I will probably be looking into one once I get a 3" cat back on :D
PlateLunch
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 1BADGTS » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:03 am

I love the Split Second PSC1-003 that I'm running in my celica. My car was originally an OBD1 NA car, so I needed something to take me into boost and be tunable. It was a little time consuming figuring out the proper fuel map (Split Second built me a base map to get the car started), because nobody in my area tunes these setups. So it was me, a buddy and a laptop making runs up and down the road until we got it right !! The PSC1 is good up to 14.5psi, which I will never go over with a original NA motor. What I ended up with was a PSC1 programmable map sensor & an MSD 8762 Boost Timing Master for the ignition retard under boost. With this setup I'm able to run 10psi SAFELY on a NA motor. I have less than $500 into the complete setup and it works great !! Now mind you, i'm using this setup on a OBD1 car. I'm sure there would be some changes to the setup for a OBD2 car.
****THE FLEET****
1BADGTS
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby PlateLunch » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:43 pm

^^^thanks bro! That gives me some direction, I am in the same boat as you- nobody around here wants to even help me out tuning the ride without putting a standalone in. All honda kids around here...
PlateLunch
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 1BADGTS » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:11 am

No problem. The only advise I can give you is do all your mechanical changes; cat back exhaust, cold air intake, cams or psi changes first before you start tuning the car. I found that any little change in that kind of stuff can throw your tune WAY off !! So anytime you make even small changes to that kind of stuff you will more than likely have to go back and retune the car. It can be very time consuming if you tune as you build !!
****THE FLEET****
1BADGTS
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby PlateLunch » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:53 pm

Roger, gonna put a catback on and roll with the SAFC for know until I can get a split second!
PlateLunch
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5