[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - LED Interior makeover project question
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

LED Interior makeover project question

LED Interior makeover project question

Postby Nemesis85 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:31 pm

Haha, by now I'm sure this has been covered, and I found a couple very helpful threads about LED makeovers for the interior, but I have a couple of questions that were not answered. First, the most important thing is, once I remove the instrument panel, the bulbs behind the board are regular bulbs (194) with a green translucent sleeve with creates the green glow for the gauges. I would like clarification that once i replace these bulbs (going to go with superwide angle crystal white LED's) there is no other factor that that creates the green color? Just those green sleeves? Just hoping to get my answers without having to tear apart the instrument gauges more then necessary. I've decided to go with a crystal white color for the guages, but I think i'm going to leave the shift gate as is (with P, N, D, 2, and 1 staying green, and the R will stay amber) I think i'm going to leave the control/alert icons (brake, CEL, cruise, etc), and the turn signals alone as well. Going to change the ignition ring to a crystal white LED as well, and change the climate controls to crystal white, and the clock to red. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts and responses! Waiting for an answer so I can complete the order for the LED's I need.
Nemesis85
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: LED Interior makeover project question

Postby dinoxor » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:46 am

I think the cluster itself has a slight green tint but it should be fine
dinoxor
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Nemesis85 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:57 am

Yeah, thats what I'm worried about... I don't want that. I want just crystal white. Looking at this picture from another thread looks like it's all white...
Nemesis85
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Nemesis85 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:01 am

Oh snap... You are the one that posted that thread I've been reading from top to bottom LOL. I was going to message you, but when I read how old that thread was, I figured you wouldn't even be active on the forums anymore. I'm in Oregon, and this old guy at baxters happened to recommend that I look at www.superbrightleds.com and after looking and making my choices, I found your tutorial which recommended the same bulbs. So the gauges themselves also have a green hue?
Nemesis85
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 1gSE » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:12 am

No it's just the bulbs. I've had all kinds of colors in mine, green, blue, red and yellow...i think orange too

Here's an idea of how blue and green will look since those were the only colors that actually came through without looking dim. I finally decided on blue. The camera gives it a purple-ish tint, but it's really not

orginal bulbs

GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby dinoxor » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:23 pm

haha whoa you had matching boost pod lights to go with it!
That post was about a year ago so I'm still here every so often.

For some reason I think I read somewhere that the gauge has a SLIGHT green tint.
I'm not sure where or whether or not I fabricated that claim.
BUT that tint should not affect your LED output whatsoever!
I remember someone took a picture of their gauge with white led and you cannot see the green hue at all.

Anyways good choice on the white led, blue makes the needle somewhat hard to read but you'll get use to it.

however I would HIGHLY recommend that you should get the high intensity bulb for your reverse light.
the brighter the better.
during the nighttime, when someone looks at it directly, it looks nice and bright.
However when reversing I can barely see anything from my rear view mirror. In addition to my 20% tint.
dinoxor
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Nemesis85 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:19 pm

Yuupp I'm excited to get these white LEDs in! I noticed 1gse that your auto shift gate is not illuminated. Did you just choose to leave out the bulbs there?
Nemesis85
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby sliDingSolAra... » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:55 pm

Nemesis85 wrote:Yuupp I'm excited to get these white LEDs in! I noticed 1gse that your auto shift gate is not illuminated. Did you just choose to leave out the bulbs there?

5 speed, we don't have any lights there
02 5spd Engine scattered, working on a 3MZ S/C set-up
sliDingSolAra...
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Nemesis85 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:15 pm

Haha that's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure. So wth the auto shift gate, I think I'm going to either white or green LEDs for all the gears and the R for reverse I will put an amber LED. thoughts / suggestions ?
Nemesis85
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 1gSE » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:29 pm

sliDingSolAra... wrote:
Nemesis85 wrote:Yuupp I'm excited to get these white LEDs in! I noticed 1gse that your auto shift gate is not illuminated. Did you just choose to leave out the bulbs there?

5 speed, we don't have any lights there

Yeah that lol

Nemesis85 wrote:Haha that's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure. So wth the auto shift gate, I think I'm going to either white or green LEDs for all the gears and the R for reverse I will put an amber LED. thoughts / suggestions ?

Don't quote me on this, but I think someone did something like all forward gears were one color and neutral, park and reverse were all different colors. That's what I would do
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Nemesis85 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:00 pm

Oooooo like.... P, R and N be Amber or White, and D, 2, and 1 be green! If I choose green for any of them, I'm going to replace the LED light for Cruise Control to a new green LED too so the green color matches. It will bug me if the colors don't match lol. Probably will do the same for the amber ones like the CEL, etc.
Nemesis85
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby sk8r776 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:21 pm

I have done LED conversions on almost all my cars. Always hated that ugly green. Idk if you have looked at a place to buy them yet or just for the sake of this thread http://www.superbrightleds.com

They have cross referenced bulbs to make it easy and keep it simple plus a huge selection. Also be aware of polarized vs non-polarized (eg. polarized one side is + other is - the non-polarized bulbs this is not a problem with.)

'93 Civic LX --> '02 Accord SE 5-Speed --> '01 Solara SE 5-Speed --> '06 350z Base Rev-UP

Mods
Hid Conversion 8K + 3K, Injen SRI, GLP CAI extension, Lots more to come.
sk8r776
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Nemesis85 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:59 pm

Yes, actually some old guy at Baxters here suggested that exact sight to me about a month ago. I already have my bulbs picked out, and once I have the extra funds, Imma buy them. Gonna include License Plate, Dome and Reading Lights, and i'm replacing all the instrument cluster lights as well. I'm excited to get rid of that ugly green color which doesn't match ANY Audio/Video headunit and just looks oooollllld lol.
Nemesis85
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby dinoxor » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:31 am

ah, I was once optimistic in changing the PRND21 lights.
Had everything planned out regarding which color will go to which gear.

But I ran into two problems
1) you needed BULBS and not leds.
The LEDs I received were the correct size but were too fat circumference-wise and will require you to force fit and stretch the housing a bit.
2) It's a HUGE pain to pull these little suckers out. After pulling the bulb and replacing my signal lights I gave up all hopes in pursuing to finish replacing the rest of the bulbs.

Thatss why, I just left them stock but removed the tint that was covering it.
gives it a nice amber color to all of the PRND21
dinoxor
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Nemesis85 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:10 pm

Ya... after careful review and research, I've come to the conclusion that I will leave the auto shift gate PRND12 alone... I did however find another popular website www.autolumination.com which does have custom color bulbs which match IDENTICAL OEM SIZE, and come in natural white, cool white, amber, green, blue, red, purple, etc. So if I change my mind, or if you change your mind for that matter, I would look that up. There was one other user on here that confirmed the bulbs size are identical to standard OEM replacements. I can't wait to change the instrument panel to white LED's. Imma use the cool white so it matches the cool white dome and reading lights that I just ordered! Gonna go with cool white for the license plate too, and my 12000k HID headlights, and 3000k HID fogs finally came in the mail and will be installed this weekend. I will post pics as i get things installed =)
Nemesis85
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Next

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5