[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - want to upgrade to a 3MZ?
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

want to upgrade to a 3MZ?

Re: want to upgrade to a 3MZ?

Postby Brandoe91 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:41 am

The only ES300 that came with 5 speed manual transmission option were the 92-93 ES300 with the older 3VZ-FE engine. The 94-01 Es300's had a 4 speed auto and 02-13 had either a 5 speed auto, 6speed auto or a cvt tranny.
TRD S/C 6psi - OBX Full Exhaust - Injen intake ( 226whp untuned).

New Setup - 3mzfe - obx full exhaust - aem fic - innovate mtx-l wideband - Cpe intake. (Estimated 220whp) dyno numbers coming soon.
Brandoe91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby dreddy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:48 pm

After more exhaustive searching, I am sad to say that yes, only the 3VZ saw manuals. I made a bad selection in a parts look-up and got a false positive on the combination of 6-cylinder and manual transmission. :(

So I am still trying to figure what is the best ECU to pick, and what features should be considered?

@Smaay, I posted at MR2OC on the p1705 code issue. I thought you might check it out.
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?p=5174374#post5174374

Running by some techs at the shop where I work and consensus is that it should work. Further, ECM shouldn't care much about the waveform. More testing needed to say for sure. I am in the early stages of my build, though, so someone else may beat me to it.
dreddy
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Smaay » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:55 am

Smaay wrote:most of you probably dont know but my 1MZ/3MZ hybrid engine started knocking. which sucks because i built this engine fresh. anyways i had a full 3MZ on the shelf as a backup so i swapped it out.

here are the few issues I ran into.

you need to use the 1MZ water neck because it has the sensor for water temp to your gauges

you will notice i modified my rails to be a return system. you dont have to do this. just use the pink injectors that come with your swap engine.

you have to remove the newer style knock sensors and use your older style. here are the studs from the new sensors. take them out and then put in your older style sensors.

ok first big issues is this water port that sends water to the throttle body. it hits the OCV for VVT in the rear head. since im not using those, i just pulled out the tubes and tapped the hole and plugged it.

Here is the lower manifold attached to the 3MZ

i also had to remove the water nipples on the bottom of the throttle body. again im not using the water ports so no problem. I just put a cap on the rear port for the water return. if i ever have to pull this engine out, ill tap that hole too and plug it. I tapped them with 1/8 NPT so if you must have them you can easily find brass fittings much smaller and just make your own water ports.

the 3MZ has cam position sensors on both heads, im only using the one on the front head. I didnt have to make any changes to the harness.

you will have to do something about the EGR tube. there is no EGR on the 3MZ so no cooler. I just fabbed up the tube as one long single pipe.

this is what you will get as results hooked up the the 5 speed E153 trans

this is all i can think of right now. if this is old news then sorry for double posting. I have seen 3MZ engines on car-part.com for less than 1000 bucks. not a bad mod for 1G and have 241 TQ huh?
1990 Celica All-Trac 3S-GTE
1997 Celica GT 1MZ/3MZ hybrid
1997 Supra 2JZ-GTE
2001 Celica GT-S 2ZZ-GTE
1998 Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel

Thats alot of BOOST!!!!
Smaay
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Previous

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5