[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - DipYourSolara?
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

DipYourSolara?

DipYourSolara?

Postby 2Gud2BTru » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:17 am

Possible spring project for my Gen1.0. I am thinking since the paint is 12 years old and there are multiple spots on the paint that has chipped on the front bumper, a bit on the rear bumper, and a bit on the passenger rear fender, that I would dip the car in a matte white finish. I saw another SG member that wrapped his in matte black but I also saw some of the problems he would have whenever a tiny bit was damaged that he would have to rewrap. I am currently in college and do not have peers or know of anyone who can wrap for a good price so that is why I am debating on if I should dip the car. The pro car kit is $299.00 on the dipyourcar website. https://www.dipyourcar.com/product.php? ... =15&page=1
At the moment I am sold on a matte white color because I have yet to see a matte white solara and I was thinking it would look pretty badass. But I am open to anyone's opinion on the color or even the project itself before I do it.
Current look:
-Stock 6r3 green that has been hand waxed and detailed once a month cause I honestly get some kind of high off the fumes and I love the finished product.
-Stock 16's gloss black
-Complete debadge, absolutely no emblems besides the one on the stock grill which is already dipped black.
-Stock tails tinted with film and the clear section cut out
Yeah a pretty basic look
Possible Future Look:
-Matte white plastidipped car with everything said above besides the paint.

This is what it looks like right now:

Thanks everyone
-01' SLE v6 coupe:Traded in. 223k
-06' Accord Coupe 4banger: DD
2Gud2BTru
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: DipYourSolara?

Postby GzNutz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:26 pm

Go for it!
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby zacman94 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:37 pm

I would probably just buy one can and try it on some easily removable part and see if you like it. I know the you can get a can of black from places like Lowe's and Ace Hardware but I'm not sure about white. I have my rims, grille, mirrors, and emblems covered in black, and I love the stuff. It's easy to do, looks great, hold up amazingly well, and didn't cost a whole lot. You can see how plastidip looks on my car with this link.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=53989

My main point is try it out first before you make the decision on spending $300 on it.
zacman94
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 2Gud2BTru » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:24 pm

Yeah, I have used plastidip on multiple grills and emblems already and I love it. my grill is plastidipped already. They do sell white now at lowes and home depot along with the usual black. But I don't wanna make stripes on my car from spray canning it with a can grip. That's why Im glad the dipyourcar.com kit comes with a spray gun and compressor to shoot whole thing. So should I go with the matte white look with maybe black mirrors and a black OEM lip spoiler or what would you guys do in terms of style and color?
2Gud2BTru
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby zacman94 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:06 am

I'd say probably rims, grille, mirrors, and emblems black. Everything else white.
zacman94
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 2Gud2BTru » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:59 am

Haha sweet. Thanks man. All I have to paint black is the mirrors. I painted my rims with regular wheel paint and gloss and dipped my grill already and I took all the emblems off besides the one on the grill. Any advice on how to shoot the car with the dip? like techniques?
2Gud2BTru
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby DSM_Lara » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:33 pm

I dont know.... If I was you I would save for up for a TRD Lip Kit. It's only a few hundred dollars away. Plus have you seen a Forest Green Solara with a TRD Kit??? I have it looks sick.
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 (TRD Edition) Rare Greddy EvoII/CP-E Intake/Renova Grill/Black Housing Front/OEM Hood Deflector :kp: :spam3: :spam1:Musubi
DSM_Lara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby zacman94 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:56 pm

There's a video on YouTube. I'm doing this from my phone, so I can't get the link, but dipyourcar has videos on how to go about it with the whole car kit.
zacman94
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 2Gud2BTru » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:09 pm

DSM_Lara: that lip kit does sound pretty nice but I don't know where to find one for a decent price. I was thinking of getting the TRD lowering springs or even the Teins since they re in the same range of the DipKit.
zacman94: Okay, I think I have seen those vids. Can I paint it on a sloped driveway? my driveway is at a 30ish degree angle up and the garage is kind of small length wise cause the solara is so damn long.
2Gud2BTru
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby TheGreenDutch » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:18 pm

i always wanted to see a matte white one but if you do have the wheels done in the plasti black rather then the gloss. The black looks nice on wheels. You can shine it up with tire shine or leave it flat. Plastidip is some fun stuff. I did my grill but left my T chrome with the wheels almost 2 years and it held up excellent.
TheGreenDutch
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby zacman94 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:41 pm

The driveway I think would be ok. I just don't remember if its best to paint in the shade or not. But the slope shouldn't be a problem I don't suppose. I'm pretty sure, as long as you're in the shade and its well ventilated, you're good. All I did was watch the videos and made sure I knew what I was doing before I did it.
zacman94
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 2Gud2BTru » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:37 pm

TheGreenDutch: yeah I was thinking about converting the wheels to matte black if I do the matte white body. Plastidip is some pretty amazing stuff. Best paint product by far.
zacman94: Okay, I will probably do it in the afternoon when the shade is completely over the driveway. Plus it will be outside which is about as ventilated as I can get haha.
To everyone: For now since I have a couple extra cans of black plastidip laying around, what is your guys's/girl's(if any) opinions on dipping the lower grill, the two bars that go across the midsection of the front bumper, black and maybe even making a DIY rear diffuser on the stock rear bumper. I was looking around online and ive seen the home made rear diffusers made out of the chrome trim used as the lines and then plastidipped. I don't have the lip kits or any body kits on the car so I would just apply chrome trim on the rear bumper just below the license plate box and stop maybe just outside the outer edge of the muffler tip. Then tape around the chrome trim and rattle can that section with black dip.
2Gud2BTru
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby DSM_Lara » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:48 pm

8)
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 (TRD Edition) Rare Greddy EvoII/CP-E Intake/Renova Grill/Black Housing Front/OEM Hood Deflector :kp: :spam3: :spam1:Musubi
DSM_Lara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby 2Gud2BTru » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:03 pm

screw.....that crap cray. That is pretty damn sexy.....I will see in a couple months how much I have saved up since im in college and I will choose between new springs, new lip kit, or new paint job.....where can I buy the lip kit DSM_Lara?
2Gud2BTru
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby DSM_Lara » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:06 am

DSM_Lara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Next

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5