[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Are Methanol Injection Kits any good??
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

Are Methanol Injection Kits any good??

Are Methanol Injection Kits any good??

Postby Drivenh » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi right nowmy solara is unfortunaly running very lean i plan on swapping out the cold air intake with a factory one in the next few weeks because it is not mixing to well with the supercharger. But my question to all of you is anyone use a Meth injection kit on their supercharged solara or camry 3.0L and how was the difference. Thanks
Drivenh
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Are Methanol Injection Kits any good??

Postby 1gSE » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:11 pm

i'd figure out the reason why it's running lean before using meth to band-aid it. Do you have a wideband O2? What's your AFR at WOT?

And to answer you question, there's quite a few of us using meth, but you need to some way to advance timing in order to take full at advantage of it
Last edited by 1gSE on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby albertrd » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:11 pm

Water meth is the way to go. l am spraying 1000ml at 9lbs of boost 350 wtq & 330 whp no issues here oh BTW stock internals. :lol: :lol: :lol:
albertrd
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Drivenh » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:14 pm

I have to do some more reaserh on my car to answer your question 1gse but my main concern is reliability. The car looks great and is trd all around with suspension exhause and cold air but i want it to last 200k with little to no issues and if that means removing the supercharger and selling it for 2500 then so be it. 2 sec off my 0-60 time isnt going to be a big issue for a daily driver
Drivenh
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 1gSE » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:49 pm

Definitely do that. We need to know what's going on with the car before we can help
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Drivenh » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:10 pm

Ya i need to go see gabe sometime when the weather permits it. he seems to know his stuff on these cars
Drivenh
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SirThomas88 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:52 pm

Water/meth is the bomb. Especially for our supercharged cars. Soooo many benefits...

Pros:
1. Richens up your octane
2. Cools your supercharger.
3. Cools your combustion providing increased protection against preignition
4. The water vapors slow the rate of burn which adds protection against predetonation.
5. Can be used as an alternative to upgrading injectors when more fuel is needed.
6. It's like running race gas, but only when you NEED it.
7. You can get a 50/50 mix of meth/water from any auto parts store by mixing 3 yellow HEET bottles with 1 gallon of regular blue -20 degree windshield washer fluid.
8. Easy to install a kit for a DIY'er.
9. One of the cheapest but most effective mods.

Cons:
1. Cheap Methanol can be hard to find depending on your area.
2. Supposedly will strip the thermal coatings off your supercharger screws.
3. Have to tune for it (SAFC2 is an affordable method. OR this can be achieved with different size nozzles).
4. The nozzles need to be periodically cleaned.

Running a water/meth set up can be one of the cheapest and most beneficial power mods you can do when you trd supercharge a 1MZ, in my opinion.
14.11s 101mph quarter mile. 5 Speed v6 Supercharged @ 5.5psi
SirThomas88
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Drivenh » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:14 am

Thanks man very helpfull
Drivenh
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Brandoe91 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:00 pm

It seems your ecu can't add enough fuel to compensate for the increase airflow with the intake. Meth will just be a band aid. My friend and I both have the same lean issue with the injen intake.

This is most likely what you need to solve your issue:

Supra 2JZ-GE 330cc injectors, Walbro 190lph/255lph fuel pump, piggyback (safc/split second esc..) and a good tune. Speak with Gabe, he will sort you out.
TRD S/C 6psi - OBX Full Exhaust - Injen intake ( 226whp untuned).

New Setup - 3mzfe - obx full exhaust - aem fic - innovate mtx-l wideband - Cpe intake. (Estimated 220whp) dyno numbers coming soon.
Brandoe91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Gregtrd » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:53 pm

Vacuum leak, youre only at 3-4 psi.
The Fastest Camry in Socal
366whp / 427wtq @10.5psi
Gregtrd
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Drivenh » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:11 pm

Ya i live in maine. i made plans to stop by gabes place since before nemo's storm but these weekend storms are killing me.but hopefully this weekend im praying the roads will be all cleaned up and not much salt
Drivenh
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SirThomas88 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:57 am

Assuming your lean issue is not being caused by a vacuum leak or faulty injectors or other issue, no reason why methanol would not be a good alternative instead of upgrading your injectors. You might need to get an SAFC2 in addition to the methanol kit, to tune. And if you don't already have an AFR wideband gauge, you'd either need one of those or you'd need to get a dyno tune.

Brandoe91 wrote:It seems your ecu can't add enough fuel to compensate for the increase airflow with the intake. Meth will just be a band aid. My friend and I both have the same lean issue with the injen intake.

This is most likely what you need to solve your issue:

Supra 2JZ-GE 330cc injectors, Walbro 190lph/255lph fuel pump, piggyback (safc/split second esc..) and a good tune. Speak with Gabe, he will sort you out.
14.11s 101mph quarter mile. 5 Speed v6 Supercharged @ 5.5psi
SirThomas88
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Drivenh » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:11 am

Finally the snow stopped here in maine and I got a chance to drive to Gabes place. I had a junk cold air intake and a small s/c pulley. was pushing 7-8psi gonna hopefully fix it this weekend. thanks guys
Drivenh
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Brandoe91 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:52 pm

good luck. Are you going back to stock boost or adding more fuel and meth?
TRD S/C 6psi - OBX Full Exhaust - Injen intake ( 226whp untuned).

New Setup - 3mzfe - obx full exhaust - aem fic - innovate mtx-l wideband - Cpe intake. (Estimated 220whp) dyno numbers coming soon.
Brandoe91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Drivenh » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:27 pm

Thanks and Im planning on going back to stock boost. this cars gonna be a daily driver so wasn't looking for anything too crazy
Drivenh
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Next

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5