[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Megan coilovers
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

Megan coilovers

Megan coilovers

Postby GregSolara » Thu May 09, 2013 12:12 pm

Hey everyone. I am getting tired of my suspension. Recently I jacked the car up and the tires did not come down. It's like the shocks were still depressed. When I lowered the car, the front had a lot of gap from the tire and the fender, and the back had no gap from the tire and the fender. My car has 125000 miles on the car and I am pretty sure I could wait a little bit longer, but I would like to replace the coilovers because I am sure that is the problem. I notice when I go over bumps the car bounces for a while before it comes back to a level position. I was looking at Tein coilovers but I saw the ones I want are about 1400 bucks and the car will be lowered a lot. I wanted to keep the OEM look but yet get a harder spring rate for better handling. I found some Megan coilovers which have adjustable dampening and adjustable ride high which is exactly what I want. However, the price is about 800 bucks. I am concerned why the price is so low. Is there a lack of quality? Does this coilover not last as long? I found out that coilovers usually last about 70,000 to 90,000 miles. Do you guys think this is a good buy for handling improvements? Any of you know someone that has this product? Please help.
GregSolara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Megan coilovers

Postby Bostonlara » Thu May 09, 2013 12:25 pm

Well if your still bouncing after going over bumps your shocks are bad. Springs simply hold the car up at a certain height. Shocks control spring oscillation. People run Megan's here. Not sure on quality but if you're compari g them Teins simply by price it's because Teins are kinda high quality coil overs. You'll be low but u can always set them to the highest setting if clearance is an issue
building a 5.5psi S/C 3MZ 5spd with Meth, 305cc injectors, lite weight crank pulley, Apexi Neo, full exhaust & ypipe, CAI, TB spacer, knock upgrade, jims fuel upgrade, walbro 255, and much much much much more
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby GregSolara » Thu May 09, 2013 12:57 pm

More people answer please
GregSolara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Thu May 09, 2013 2:24 pm

This is where i come in.

Ive been rocking megan coils for over a year now, no issues. Price wise. Your paying for the name. Tein is expensive megan isnt too much but i would personally choose megan over tein any day of the week. The spring rates that megan coils come with suck. So you would have to get custom spring rates from megan directly they should only cost you 150 for the set of springs.

Megan coils are very good set ups for the reason that it has camber adjustments up front 32 way dampening adjustments all around. You also have 3 perches on the coil itself. two to keep the spring pre loaded and the other two to drop the car. The perches for the springs always stay compressed, as oppose to Tein they have two perches, and you lower the car with those TWO perches. Meaning if you decide to slam your car the spring will get to a point where its not compressed anymore. Meaning you get a ton of travel on the shock itself. which becomes Easier to blow.

and as for coils only lasting anywhere from 70k-90k. It all depends on how u drive. What kind of roads you drive on and if you take care of them. if your constantly hitting bumps and going into holes and what not then yes of course their going to blow soon, but the good thing about having better springs on there you can get stiffer springs that will make the coilover last longer if you get a better spring. The springs take a lot of the impact not the shock itself.

and for the price you cant go wrong with these coilovers.
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6
Solaraguy's dopest driver

Postby GregSolara » Thu May 09, 2013 2:59 pm

Thank you so much Toyo! One more question, what spring rate should I tell them?
GregSolara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Thu May 09, 2013 4:20 pm

depending how low you want to go.

Im running shorter and stiffer springs.
Im running 160mm with an 8kg spring rate up front, and the stock 200mm 7kg rear. Honestly you only have to buy two springs Reason is the megan coils come with a 200mm 7kg Spring rate up front and 230mm 3kg spring rate for the rear. I dont know why the did 3kg in the rear that was just a stupid idea. So what i did is i bought two 160mm 8kg springs. I put those up front and the ones that were on the front originally which where the 7kg i moved to the back and the 3kg that were in the back i tossed to the trash lol

In my opinion its a good set up. It feels very nice and sturdy i dont bounce anywhere at all. the only thing that scrapes on my car is the 3in exhaust that hits the floor every now and then.
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6

Postby thenewguy » Fri May 10, 2013 9:52 am

I'm running the same setup as ToyosolV6. I havent ordered my stiffer springs for the front yet though. You'll definately want to go stiffer if you plan on getting some kind of aggressive fitment. Youll rub really bad in the rear if you dont get the stiffer spring setup. Other than that I love these coilovers. My favorite mod I've done so far.
thenewguy
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Toy1mzfe » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:07 am

Might be that coilover time for me... My front shocks are feeling super soft and i bounce quite a bit. I was really thinking about just getting kyb GR-2 replacements but it just seems like I should just splurge and get coilovers... Based on the info above, it looks like Megan is the way to go.

Megan Street Series Coilovers (~$750)
^^ Move Front Coils to the back.
+ Buy new set of 160mm 8kg for the Front (~150).
= (~$900) Sound about right? Any better deals out there?
Toy1mzfe
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby crankine3 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:43 pm

I have the Megans and they are doing just fine. My shocks were gone also when I decided to replace, and the front springs were also a little compressed (250K miles). Lowering with the Megans is easy. I have it dropped about an inch from stock and there are no issues at all. I have the springs tightened a little more from normal, and I keep the dampening fairly stiff. Except on horrible curbs, I have never bottomed out on my frame or over extended going over a pothole. I don't have any experience with other brands, so I really have nothing to compare it to.

Some other pros for Megans, you can get blown coilovers rebuilt by Megan or some other folks. It is 1/2 to 2/3rds the original cost (but unless you have a spare set, your car is out of commission for a few weeks). You also gain about an inch of clearance between the inner wheel rim and the spring of the coilover versus stock springs, but this only matters if you are going all crazy with the wheel and tire width.
crankine3
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Toy1mzfe » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:55 pm

thanks for the info. Hows the ride on these? I know my s-tech and GR2 was alight in the begining but a little soft. I live in San Francisco with hills, dips somewhat pot holes, and train tracks. Will i hate driving my car daily if i got these Megans? Im kinda on the wall where i might just get another car.
Toy1mzfe
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby crankine3 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:23 pm

At first they were very tight/stiff, within a hundred miles things softened up to be reasonable. I have the dampening knob tuned to be stiffer, and along with the "pillow ball" I do feel every little bump. Unlike stock strut caps that are really tough plasticy/rubber, the pillow ball mount is a solid peace of brass, so whatever small pebbles and cracks that aren't absorbed by your tire's sidewalls you will feel in the car. I have the stock anti-sway in the front and whiteline in the back, and potholes still feel harsher in the front. Atlanta has it's fair share of potholes and sewer sinkholes. Dips are just fine and are sometimes fun, but potholes are rather jarring. I use this as my daily but my drive is very short, maybe once a week I do a 1 hour round trip on highways. I am just fine with the stiffness and I love make fast tight turns in the city. But whenever I am going on a long tip, I turn the suspension way back to soft.
crankine3
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby crankine3 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:26 pm

FYI, the dampness adjustment is a metal "volume knob" that comes out of the top of the strut cap assembly. It is obviously very easy to access in the front. In the rear of my convert, I drilled a hole in the decorative plastic caps over the top of the strut mounts and the knob comes through there so I can easily adjust it. I am not sure how easy it is to reach the top of the rear strut in a coupe, I have heard it is a nightmare.
crankine3
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby TadS » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:00 pm

crankine3 wrote:I am not sure how easy it is to reach the top of the rear strut in a coupe, I have heard it is a nightmare.

Yes, yes it is. Probably not the best thought out part of our cars.
Let's just pretend I didn't grow up, or you're going to be terribly disappointed.
TadS
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby ThatVietGuy » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:22 am

Just drill a hole in the materials that overlie the strut tower.
ThatVietGuy
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5