[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - NEED Help Guys
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

NEED Help Guys

NEED Help Guys

Postby sean0leary » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:25 pm

OK guys, so I've got a few problems here..... (2000 Solara v6)

1) The whole engine bay gets very hot even on the shortest of drives. After a mishap with an oil change, could this be caused due to too much oil? That's the only thing I can really think of.

2) I recently installed lowering suspension (KYB shocks/tein springs). The front is rubbing quite a bit, but I'm 95% positive that it is rubbing the brake rotor "skid plate". I think it may be grinding along the rotor itself.

3) BOTH rear shocks do NOT seem to be 100% together... when I got the assembly from the garage, the spring was actually loose from the shock itself... BUT BOTH driver & passenger side rear shocks make a "metal on metal" banging type sound, even over the smallest bumps. I definitely do not want my car to fall apart on me after spending $550+ on parts.....

So PLEASE if anybody has any knowledge/experience of these problems, ANY help would be greatly appreciated... I want my baby on the road again :(
2000 Solara SLE V6
WeaponR Dragon Intake
Throttle Body spacer
Injen Muffler
HID Headlights&Fogs
Tein S Tech springs
KYB Shocks
sean0leary
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: NEED Help Guys

Postby ThatVietGuy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:44 pm

#1... engines do get hot. Does the temperature gauge move too far? Have you checked the coolant levels?

#2... what do you think is rubbing on the skid plate? What does it sound like? Can you turn the wheel freely if the car is up on jacks?

#3... did you make sure to tighten down the top hat to the strut? Metal banging sound could also be loose endlinks connection to the sway bar and/or the endlink to strut body.
ThatVietGuy
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby sean0leary » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:02 am

ThatVietGuy wrote:#1... engines do get hot. Does the temperature gauge move too far? Have you checked the coolant levels?

#2... what do you think is rubbing on the skid plate? What does it sound like? Can you turn the wheel freely if the car is up on jacks?

#3... did you make sure to tighten down the top hat to the strut? Metal banging sound could also be loose endlinks connection to the sway bar and/or the endlink to strut body.

Nope, the temp gauge stays at half way constantly. The coolant is getting low, but its not below the line yet.

I fixed all rubbing issues, but the rear shocks are the only thing I'm concerned about now. I'll have to check all sway bar link connections when I have some free time... BUT I'm almost 100% sure that Meineke didn't tighten them completely.

Thanks for the reply
2000 Solara SLE V6
WeaponR Dragon Intake
Throttle Body spacer
Injen Muffler
HID Headlights&Fogs
Tein S Tech springs
KYB Shocks
sean0leary
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Akfahad » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:26 am

^^i did my own coilovers and ended up replacing all my end links at the same time because they were getting old and I still will get that metal on metal sound as if something is loose over bumps. I've probably checked everything 3 times and couldn't trouble shoot it. I've just learned to live with it, but I think you'll be fine if you don't have any luck.
Akfahad
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby sean0leary » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:56 pm

Akfahad wrote:^^i did my own coilovers and ended up replacing all my end links at the same time because they were getting old and I still will get that metal on metal sound as if something is loose over bumps. I've probably checked everything 3 times and couldn't trouble shoot it. I've just learned to live with it, but I think you'll be fine if you don't have any luck.

Yeah, I've checked a few times now and haven't had any luck. I noticed that every now & then while I'm in reverse, it almost sounds like a grinding sound.. It does it more often when I have a passenger. Did this also happen to you at all?
2000 Solara SLE V6
WeaponR Dragon Intake
Throttle Body spacer
Injen Muffler
HID Headlights&Fogs
Tein S Tech springs
KYB Shocks
sean0leary
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby dinoxor » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:46 am

Regarding your hot engine.
What was the mishap?

And when your mention hot, does your car smoke or does it feel hot? If your gauge stays in the center then it should be fine

If you are still concerned, you might want to check the following:
Water pump, when was the last time your replaced it?
Thermostat, does it open and close properly?
Radiator cap, does it leak or hold pressure properly?
Coolant, when was the last time you flushed your system completely and properly and did your use correct fluid and mixture?

These are some of the few things I can think of on the top of my head.

Regarding your rubbing issue, have someone stand outside and see where the culprit is or maybe mount a camera if possible

Good luck and keep us updated!
dinoxor
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby sean0leary » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:29 am

I rolled my fenders yesterday and it seems to be making a difference in the intensity if the banging. Not sure what the rest is... As for the heat, it could've been just because it was over 100 degrees outside, because the heat isnt nearly as intense as it was those few days before. It sure is a relief when you can take care of your car problems without sacrificing $$$. :)
2000 Solara SLE V6
WeaponR Dragon Intake
Throttle Body spacer
Injen Muffler
HID Headlights&Fogs
Tein S Tech springs
KYB Shocks
sean0leary
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5