[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - High Performance Brake Fluid
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

High Performance Brake Fluid

High Performance Brake Fluid

Postby 2ksev6 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:03 pm

Hi! Been a while since I've posted on here.

I'm still rocking my 2000 SEV6 5 speed Solara and loving it! I'm lowered with TRD springs and KYB struts and I have cross drilled and slotted rotors from Stillen on the front with Stillen pads and stainless steel brake lines. I've been running this setup for at least 6 years. Stock sized rotor, stock calipers, nothing too exotic, just mildly upgraded. The pads have lasted forever and were just changed a few months ago (Stillen). A bit after the pads were changed I went on a spirited drive through the curvy roads in the hills/mountains, which was awesome. However, after the drive my brakes didn't feel right and still don't. I believe I boiled the brake fluid. It used to stop on a dime, but now the pedal feel is off and it's just slower to stop and feels much less precise.

I took it back to the garage that did the brakes and they bled the system, but it's just not the same. I have worries in traffic, forget about going anywhere with hills and cliffs and tight turns. I found a garage where the head guy mods his own imports for fun, so I'm going there for this upgrade, the garage that did the pad change was so/so and not performance oriented at all. New guy said he'd put in aftermarket fluid, but to research the fluid real well first.

I don't know what type of brake fluid to get. I figure I could just get new fluid of the OEM type, but why not get something better? I've been warned that some types with silicone may damage the system, and I don't want that, but I don't really know much about this. Anybody have a high temp brake fluid they can recommend for me?
TRD shifter, TRD springs, KYB struts and rear strut mounts, Stillen Cross Drilled and Slotted Brakes and pads, Whiteline RSB, tint, and a decent stereo, 17x8 TSW Kyalami rims on Hankook tires
2ksev6
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: High Performance Brake Fluid

Postby Gregtrd » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:20 pm

Could be your master cylinder is on its way out, i running stock brake fluid with stoptech bbk with no issues and the stopping is great. You could run motul rbf600 dot 4 brake fluid boil point between wet 421° - dry 594°
The Fastest Camry in Socal
366whp / 427wtq @10.5psi
Gregtrd
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby 2ksev6 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:47 pm

That RBF Fluid has potential, thanks!

I think I had the master cylinder replaced not that long ago. It's been around 4-5 years, but I think it'd be ok unless I just hooned it too hard and broke it. Maybe just fresh stock fluid is the way to go. I've also been reading about 5.1 fluid which is silicone free and boils high: http://www.synlube.com/brake.htm
(from: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/107-c ... fluid.html ).

It looks like I'd better pay attention to that wet number since I don't plan on changing the fluid all the time.

Can I just use any brake fluid I like as long as it's not silicone based? Because if I can I'm going to get the most badass poly glycol they make. Can stock fluid be mixed in with 5.1 or 4 or whatever?
TRD shifter, TRD springs, KYB struts and rear strut mounts, Stillen Cross Drilled and Slotted Brakes and pads, Whiteline RSB, tint, and a decent stereo, 17x8 TSW Kyalami rims on Hankook tires
2ksev6
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Bostonlara » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:34 pm

Use dot 3 don't go with dot 5. Not meant for our cars
building a 5.5psi S/C 3MZ 5spd with Meth, 305cc injectors, lite weight crank pulley, Apexi Neo, full exhaust & ypipe, CAI, TB spacer, knock upgrade, jims fuel upgrade, walbro 255, and much much much much more
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Gregtrd » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:42 pm

Just buy a ericsol bbk with ebc pad or stoptech, rotora bbk.
The Fastest Camry in Socal
366whp / 427wtq @10.5psi
Gregtrd
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby PlateLunch » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:57 pm

get some new fluid and bleed the brakes your self, fo sho.
PlateLunch
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 2ksev6 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:11 pm

Yeah, the more I learn about brake fluid the more I think that maybe that was just old fluid with high water content. Matter of fact I think it was raining when they changed my pads, that can't be good. Maybe I should stick to stock and reduce risk of complications.
2ksev6
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5