[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 6 puck or disc?
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

6 puck or disc?

6 puck or disc?

Postby PlateLunch » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:55 pm

I have been looking at clutches and I was wondering if anybody had any preferences/advice on whether they like a 6 puck or a disc better. I found the ACT XT with a disc that holds up to 505 ft/lbs that looks promising, I figure it should hold the power I throw at it and shift a bit easier than the 6 puck but maybe you guys could chime in with your pref/setup? Thanks!
PlateLunch
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: 6 puck or disc?

Postby Smaay » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:43 pm

ill never use an ACT clutch again. Southbend made me a TZ clutch with a slightly upgraded pressure plate. its a full disk and i love it! just a hair heavier pedal feel. nice slippage on engagement and it holds just fine.
1990 Celica All-Trac 3S-GTE
1997 Celica GT 1MZ/3MZ hybrid
1997 Supra 2JZ-GTE
2001 Celica GT-S 2ZZ-GTE
1998 Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel

Thats alot of BOOST!!!!
Smaay
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby PlateLunch » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:49 pm

I have been looking at them too. I figured the MR2 clutches would fit, I was going to give them a call and see what they can do. You have given them good reviews before. How much is yours rated too? I was thinking of going a bit over so I have room to grow :)
PlateLunch
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby SolaraPete » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:05 pm

Ive been running the ACT 6puck for a couple years. Absolutely no complaints. Its certainly not as forgiving as a mushy oem clutch. but the whole reason of upgrading it is so it grabs right?

:cheers:
'99 S/C'd 5spd: 6psi-KYB/Intrax-Kaminari-Renova- 2.5in w/TRD muffler-full Injen CAI w/crisp-mongo filter-Walbro 190-305cc-Jim's fuel-torque rod-8mm Magnecore-EGR delete-ACT 6-puck-AEM wideband-SAFC2-Supra/ES300 F+R brake conversion
SolaraPete
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Gregtrd » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:18 pm

Act clutch disc pucks tend break off and a stiff clutch pedal, never ever ever ever buy clutch masters, it will be waste of money. The spec 3+ has good engagement with no chatter, pedal feels stock, and holds about 490ftlb torque. If youre on a budget the F1 is good for the price, i use the F1 but i didnt like the high clutch pedal engagement, disc or pressure plate squeaks when cold. Just my 2cents, once this spec3+ go's out im gonna try out the south blend.
The Fastest Camry in Socal
366whp / 427wtq @10.5psi
Gregtrd
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby PlateLunch » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:22 am

Thanks for the input! Looks like i'll go with either the spec 3+ or a southbend and I figure i'll go with a disc first and then possibly upgrade to a 6 puck when I want more juice. The Southbend is looking good, as the kit comes with a light weight flywheel (from the part number it looks like a fidanza).

Again, thanks for the replies!
PlateLunch
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Gregtrd » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:04 pm

I got a light flywheel for sale.
The Fastest Camry in Socal
366whp / 427wtq @10.5psi
Gregtrd
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer