[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - HID Problems (Shields, Police and so on...)
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

HID Problems (Shields, Police and so on...)

HID Problems (Shields, Police and so on...)

Postby LuckyVal3 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:25 pm

How many of those with HID conversions have been pulled over by the police for them? I read in an older post that using shields will stop the problem. How so? What is a shield - do most conversion kits come with them?

Also does anybody have a 8k or 10k kit? Is the difference between 6k, 8k, or 10k all the difference in getting pulled over? I'm in a place where you'll get harrassed for tint all day long but I've never seen nor heard of anyone getting stopped for their headlights. I mean I can see the problem two years ago but today 1 out of every 3 cars today has HID so I can't imagine getting pulled over for headlights.

Lastly any suggestions on where to buy - I need the H4 Hi/Lo - preferably in 8k or 10k. Thanks
LuckyVal3
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby cruze105 » Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:35 am

the reason u are probably gettin pulled over is cuz you either have 6000k or higher and they bring out a color. If you have lower than 6000k, cops most likely wont mess with you.
cruze105
SolaraGuy JerseyMan
SolaraGuy JerseyMan

Postby krawzyazn » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:29 pm

you can acually get the OEM HID kit for another car and use it in yours
krawzyazn
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby impactX » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:27 pm

krawzyazn wrote:you can acually get the OEM HID kit for another car and use it in yours

OEM HID doesn't come in kit style, they either are D2S or D2R.

The OEM headlight housing is only DOT approved when used with halogen bulbs. Retrofitting any kind of DOT approved bulb (D2S or D2R) into the headlight housing intended for halogen bulbs.

Legal issues aside, HID in halogen bulb housing will blind people with shields or not and it's not about the aiming.
impactX
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:34 pm

the problem seems to be with glare... right now... my halogens are glaring up worse than my HIDs. They actually light up about the same area too (somehow lol) but a slightly shorter distance

Getting your headlamps reaimed may be the trick... I have no clue how to reaim the 02-3 one, so I gotta lower my front more... one of these days
1GR-FE ftw!
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby ICrazyChrisI » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:36 am

I have a 6000k kit, and I haven't ran into any problems with cops yet. Its been 3 months, and I've driven though cities from Los Angeles County to San Diego county. I would suggest NOT to get anything over 6000k, because the color really kicks in, and the light output is dimmer. My kit did come with shields, and it helped block alot of the glare, but I also aimed the headlights slightly lower than OEM as well. Here are some pics reguarding the color differences:
Left: 00 Integra/4100k McCulloch HIDs in projector housing
Right: 99 Solara/6000k Polarion Lighting HIDs in reflector housing
Vice versa

Please note that my lights do NOT look that purple in person, they are slightly whiter.
ICrazyChrisI
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby MaxBoostSolara » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:40 am

who has the cheapest 6000K HID kit ... the most reliable ... and where can i get some???
MaxBoostSolara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby MaxBoostSolara » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:46 am

i'm interested cuz it looks sweet in the pictures... i wonder how they look in person.. should b brighter 2 right?... thanx guys appreciate the help
MaxBoostSolara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ICrazyChrisI » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:52 am

It is brighter, but with the 4100k kit, you get more light. I got my 6000k kit from http://xenonfactory.com . I felt most comfortable with their product because there were positive remarks about the company on HID Forums, they have a 3yr warantee, more than ANY other company that I've seen, they reply to emails very quickly and professionally, and they use genuine philips components.
ICrazyChrisI
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby AzN_DrAgoN48 » Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:22 am

i got an 8k kit and i've been ok
2001 Dark Blue Solara SE V6
8000k Osram HID
Silverstars fogs
Clear Corners
Passport 8500 Hardwired
Two Alpine 12" Type R Subs
JBL BP600.1