[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Complete lighting guide for Gen1/1.5 (Interior and Exterior)
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Complete lighting guide for Gen1/1.5 (Interior and Exterior)

Postby Duffman » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:06 am

bassthrive wrote:i put red bulbs in my turn signals and covered them with a double layer of 20% window tint that I cut out in circles.

Do you have a pic of this? Would like to see how that'd look, sounds sexay.
2002 Toyota Solara SE V6 5-Speed
2005 Pontiac GTO 6-Speed
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250 ABS
Duffman
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby thatdamngood777 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:00 pm

Anyone try to color the green led's in your radio? i have a Pioneer radio with all green led's. I tried a red Sharpie...nothing. I tried nail polish...nothing! i'm afraid to try paint and just stop the ligtht from the led altogether. Any other ideas?
thatdamngood777
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby thatdamngood777 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:15 pm

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... LXRS16&P=M

Anyone try anything like this to tint green led's? I figure it might come out a wierd green or red...Its worth $2.99 to try I guess.
thatdamngood777
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby pythonjosh » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:43 am

So you're talking about the little led's behind the buttons? No way you're gonna make it look good recoloring it. Keep in mind of the color wheel:
Green (Yellow+Blue) + Red = Brown (varying shades of it).
And they are damn near impossible to replace with different led's. When it comes to the head unit, stock or aftermarket, you're stuck with whatever color it came with. So make your aftermarket stereo color decision wisely....
Brilliant Silver 03 Nissan G35 6MT

In the struggle for justice, I is prepared to lay my life on the line. Just like Martin Luther Vandross did.
pythonjosh
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby saxophonoia » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:40 am

Great Tutorial. I used it last night to change my headlights out and put some silverstars in. Great Job. :D
"Humanity is like a teenager: old enough to cause real damage and too stupid to prevent it or do anything about it."
saxophonoia
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Grant516 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:09 pm

I just popped open the Map Lights in my 2002 Solara Convertible and to my dismay it is not the Festoon Bulbs that I ordered.

It's a single twisty bulb (considered on the autolum site to be Bayonette style.) Does anyone know what size I need?

The Ba15s looks like it will work? Is this the same in the Coupe?
I'm having so many little issues... my 74 leds did NOT fit in the casings from the cluster I had either. I tried multiple times, the white ones were just too big... when I jammed them in I couldn't even close the contact screw.

I bought all these bulbs and I really ended up with little use for the.

http://autolumination.com/otherleds.htm - BA15S anyone?
Grant516
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Complete lighting guide for Gen1/1.5 (Interior and Exter

Postby Grant516 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:36 pm

Jon11582 wrote:Complete Lighting guide for Gen1 and Gen1.5.

First the center console needs to be removed for easier access. Then unplug the lower 12v cig lighter and remove the piece around the shiftgate, which is held in only by clips.

How the HELL do you remove that lower 12v cig lighter? I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get that bastard out without breaking SOMETHING.

I have a 1.5 so it's that mustard wood color and I want to take it out so I can paint it, but removing it seems to be near impossible.

The plug is unusualyl shaped, has no clips. I've figured out how to get the metal part of the socket to move a little bit... but there is no way for it to get out.
Grant516
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby st.augsolara02 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:42 pm

grant if ur thinkin about painting ur wood trim make sure absolutely posistive before hand..i decided to do mine cuz i too have the ugly mustard burlwood and i ran into a few problems. the passenger dash and the lil tiny piece by driver door are just held in by clips so theyre fairly easy to get out just take a flat head screw driver and gently pry up until u feel the clips release the long piece if i remember correctly has four clips while the tiny one has 2..as for the door pieces thats a different story. these actually have lil nubs that stich thru holes in the door panel and are glued to a piece of foam. when i tried to pry these off the driver one actually cracked in 3 pieces so be very careful..im not sure tho but if u take the door panel off it might be easier cuz the foam piece im talkin can be seen from the back side and u might be able to just rip it off..and just a heads up our trim panels are discontinued so theres no way to order new ones if u screw up..trust me i found out the hard way and it took almost 2 months to find someone that just happened to have some. if u got any questions about the process lemme kno
So long Solara...Hello IS300!!!
New Project: '01 Autumn Sky Pearl IS300
* tien coliovers, 5% tint, SRT intake, HKS Carbon-ti exaust, 7" touch screen DVD, 2 12" Kicker Comp VR's
st.augsolara02
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby redgen1 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:38 am

pythonjosh wrote:So you're talking about the little led's behind the buttons? No way you're gonna make it look good recoloring it. Keep in mind of the color wheel:
Green (Yellow+Blue) + Red = Brown (varying shades of it).
And they are damn near impossible to replace with different led's. When it comes to the head unit, stock or aftermarket, you're stuck with whatever color it came with. So make your aftermarket stereo color decision wisely....

actually you can change the color of your stock radio with a little finess and patience -- theres a link to a tutorial on here under something like "change h/u display" or something - you just need a surface mount diode or SMD LED (a different type) im in the process of ordering mine for the spring, a project when i get back from college
02 SLE V6
Kaizen *constant improvement*

-progress on hold while another project takes priority
redgen1
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby PapaDukes027 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:43 pm

Hey guys is there anyway to turn the headlights off during the day on the Gen 1 solara's?? It just annoys me knowing there on while i really dont need em on. Thanks.
'99 SLE V6
Renova Grill
Injen 2030 Intake
PapaDukes027
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby tito53 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:01 pm

gray plug on the left side under the hood near the windshield. disconnect it and it'll disable the DRL's. it annoyed me too. They'll go on once its dark though.
tito53
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby PapaDukes027 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:10 am

Thanks so much tito :D
'99 SLE V6
Renova Grill
Injen 2030 Intake
PapaDukes027
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Thx! great work

Postby mazen222 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:35 pm

Thx! great work
mazen222
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

question

Postby mazen222 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:54 am

ok.. I was just about to order some bulbs from e-bay or http://autolumination.com im not really sure i know everything i need to order.
I am looking for the most whitest (not blue) headlights i can get (without buying the complete system... just the bulbs)

So, for my 99 Solara, Gen1 its 9003/H4. Until here, im good.
Questions:

- Color Temperture? The higher the better right? is 6000K good?

- Watts? Some are giving 60/55W and some 100/90W. Will both fit?

So, which combination should i get and stay "legal" at the same time. White, no blue!
I have my eyes on these
http://cgi.ebay.ca/H4-9003-60-55w-XENON ... dZViewItem
mazen222
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: question

Postby Jon11582 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:11 am

mazen222 wrote:ok.. I was just about to order some bulbs from e-bay or http://autolumination.com im not really sure i know everything i need to order.
I am looking for the most whitest (not blue) headlights i can get (without buying the complete system... just the bulbs)

So, for my 99 Solara, Gen1 its 9003/H4. Until here, im good.
Questions:

- Color Temperture? The higher the better right?

- Watts? Some are giving 60/55W and some 100/90W. Will both fit?

So, which combination should i get and stay "legal" at the same time. White, no blue!
I have my eyes on these
http://cgi.ebay.ca/H4-9003-60-55w-XENON ... dZViewItem

Stick with 60/55. Any higher can cause the harness to overheat and potentially catch fire.

Color temperature is a scale from yellow to blueish/purple.
About 2800K is yellow. up to 5300K is white 6000K has blue in it, and it gets more purple as you go up.

So for the whitest, get as close to 5300K without going over.

Do realize that Halogen is about 3200K. Getting the temperature any higher in a halogen bulb requires putting a blue film on the bulb to block the yellow from passing through. This means the further away from 3200K you get, the more light is blocked, and the lower the acutal light output for halogen bulbs.
2000 Black Solara SE
Jon11582
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5