[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 1MZ Spark Plugs
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

1MZ Spark Plugs

1MZ Spark Plugs

Postby geminimouse » Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:46 am

I do not have the pictures anymore.

Tools:
Ratchet with an extension. 10mm socket. 5/8 spark plug socket. AntiSeize. Brush.

Start with the easier front plugs.
Unclip the harness on the left and take the 10mm bolt out from the right.
Then just pull the rubber grommet

Don't have a pic of this step, but just use the spark plug socket to unscrew the plug. If ur having trouble getting the plug out, I just put a piece of duct tape on the end of the extension and fish out the plug.

Before you put the new plug in, put some antiseize on the threads and use the brush to apply it evenly. Put the spark plug back in by reversing what u did to take it out.

Now for the rear plugs.
Standing on the passenger side look for this...
The red arrows point to the brackets that hold on to the wires. Take the wires off of it to make it easier, just remember how to put the wires back. Then start pulling at the rubber grommet (Yellow arrow). Jiggling it while pulling helps to get it out.

Take the extension with the spark plug socket but without the ratchet.
And make sure it grabs the spark plug then put the ratchet on it and unscrew it. You should know what to do with it now.
Closer look...

Moving to the driver's side...
I couldn't take any good pics but u can kind of see my arm reaching back and I'm holding on to the rubber grommet. From this side I got the middle and right rear plugs.
The middle rear plug can be accessible from the passenger side too, but pick whichever side is easier for u.
Last edited by geminimouse on Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:03 am, edited 12 times in total.
08 Accord Coupe
99 Solara Sold on 7/7/07
geminimouse
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Mole » Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:59 am

nice tutorial!
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby bkp_duke » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:32 pm

dude, YOU DA MAN!!!
2000 Solara SLE V6, Silverstream Opalescent
TRD Body Kit, Charcoal Leather
TRD Shocks, Struts, RSB, and Air filter
Legal Tint (32%)
bkp_duke
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Astro » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:21 pm

Great job.. :D
ImageImage
Lexus lip kit, LED tails, F-Sport Intake, HKS hi-power exhaust, TEIN S-tech springs
Astro
SolaraGuy Professional Racer
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby that1mexguy » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:59 pm

That is awesome man!! thanks for the tutorial, just one more quick question... about how long did that take you? :drinking:
that1mexguy
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby geminimouse » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:04 pm

The rear took me about 35min. The front was about 15min.
I've done this twice before.
08 Accord Coupe
99 Solara Sold on 7/7/07
geminimouse
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby bassthrive » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:08 pm

Wooohaaa! You rock geminimouse! Thanks for answering my request.

- Paul
- Paul

y2k(1MZ)dWp
cpe mafci / apexi ws / tein s-tech + tokico / trd rsb
bassthrive
SolaraGuy Marklar
SolaraGuy Marklar

Postby groovespacer » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:13 am

Props
groovespacer
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby SoLaRa_PimPin99 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:33 am

Damn, good lookin on the tutorial!
99 Solara SE V6 Black w/ Blue Pearl (New Paint job)
19" Niche F-16 (215-35-19 Nitto gen's)
Eibach Pro-kit
Tokico Blue Struts
Dual Cat-back Exhaust
Altezza Carbon Fiber tailights
SoLaRa_PimPin99
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby that1mexguy » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:26 pm

YOOOOOOO!!!!! brother, HELP!!!

Ok, first ... i tried the 3/8 spark plug socket and it was waaaaay too small... so you might want to edit that to 5/8 (unless my 1MZ engine is different LOL) anyway... my rookie @$$ is trying to do this right, so just a couple of questions my friend if you dont mind.... how tha HECK did u reach the ones in the back!? i'm not a "big" guy and i just couldnt reach ... i was maybe able to touch the tip of the rubber thingies back there but then i was like, how tha heck am i going to use the tools back here? did u have to remove anything else? (anything to make more space?) and this last question is dumb hehe... when doing the 3 up front, how do you unclip the things on the left side?? -- see below
(I'm afraid my super strenght will break it LOL -- JOKE!!!) thanks man

that1mexguy
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby geminimouse » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:57 am

that1mexguy wrote:Ok, first ... i tried the 3/8 spark plug socket and it was waaaaay too small... so you might want to edit that to 5/8 (unless my 1MZ engine is different LOL)

oops...my bad

that1mexguy wrote:how tha HECK did u reach the ones in the back!? i'm not a "big" guy and i just couldnt reach ... i was maybe able to touch the tip of the rubber thingies back there but then i was like, how tha heck am i going to use the tools back here? did u have to remove anything else? (anything to make more space?)

nope..didn't have to remove anything...once u pull out the rubber thing just put the socket, with the extension on but without the ratchet, into the hole and get it to catch the plug...then put the ratchet on and unscrew it.

that1mexguy wrote:and this last question is dumb hehe... when doing the 3 up front, how do you unclip the things on the left side?? -- see below
(I'm afraid my super strenght will break it LOL -- JOKE!!!) thanks man

on the top is a clip that u press...might need a flathead to push down then pull it back.
08 Accord Coupe
99 Solara Sold on 7/7/07
geminimouse
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby that1mexguy » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:54 pm

I DID IT!!!

Man it was a BIAAAAAAASHHH!!! and it took me close to 3 hrs, but I finally got it done!! Why so long you may ask? well let's just say when i jumped in the shower, my arm was burning for all the scratches I got for rubbing so damn much between EVERYTHING, and because everything is soooo freaking tight that I had to use a number of combinations between tools to be able to remove, and replace the spark plugs. Oh yeah, not to mention I almost gave up like 3 times because I'm just not the patience type. Anyway, even thought I took forever, thanks geminimouse for the tutorial because without it, I probably would've never got it done. This is my 1st time and certainly not the last one. Now that I know what tha heck, it shouldnt take me more than an hour, so it's all good.....
man i need a beer!!!
:drinking:

PS. oh yeah... all you people in the area, if you need me to change your spark plugs... i charge biashes!!!! LOL hehehe .. jk, just holla!!
:drinking:
that1mexguy
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby bassthrive » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:33 pm

Anyone know the proper torque settings for the 1MZ plugs?

As a note, only work on your plugs when the engine is cold or else there is a chance you may ruin the threads.
- Paul

y2k(1MZ)dWp
bassthrive
SolaraGuy Marklar
SolaraGuy Marklar

Postby bassthrive » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:46 am

Bump

Did you use dielectric grease on the plugs and wires? I will be replacing my wires at the same time and was wondering if this should be used.
- Paul

y2k(1MZ)dWp
bassthrive
SolaraGuy Marklar
SolaraGuy Marklar

Next

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5