[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 1MZ Spark Plugs
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

1MZ Spark Plugs

Postby geminimouse » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:39 pm

bassthrive wrote:Bump

Did you use dielectric grease on the plugs and wires? I will be replacing my wires at the same time and was wondering if this should be used.

wouldn't hurt...
08 Accord Coupe
99 Solara Sold on 7/7/07
geminimouse
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby that1mexguy » Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:16 am

bassthrive wrote:Did you use dielectric grease on the plugs and wires? I will be replacing my wires at the same time and was wondering if this should be used.

I didnt replace the wires, but i should hu ... so no i didnt use that
that1mexguy
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby bassthrive » Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:41 pm

Ok this job is MUCH easier than I thought it would be. You just gotta use your head figure out the proper angles for the rear bank. Dropping the socket down into the hole and then attaching the wrench is def the best way to do it. Removing the ACIS and PCV valve helps a real lot. Anti-sieze and dielectric grease are a must. I bought two little packets for 98 cents. Toughest part of the whole install was removing the stock plug wires and replacing with my NGK's, there are so many damn clips to undo.
- Paul

y2k(1MZ)dWp
cpe mafci / apexi ws / tein s-tech + tokico / trd rsb
bassthrive
SolaraGuy Marklar
SolaraGuy Marklar

Postby paladinew » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:10 pm

Hey, where'd all the pics go ??? I was planning on doing this tomorrow :(
paladinew
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby nj99solara » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:12 am

Sorry to bring back such an old post but does anybody know how to get the pics back up???? I was hoping to do this on the weekend and I would like to see pics just to be sure about everything.
Thanks
'99 Solara SLE V6 Black/Tan Leather
-4500k HID Bi-xenon kit
-4500k HID Fogs
-5% Tint in rear
-Tinted Stock Taillights
-Shaved Emblems
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2076665
nj99solara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby geminimouse » Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:20 pm

pics r back up..
geminimouse
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby nj99solara » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:11 am

geminimouse wrote:pics r back up..

Thanks I appreciate it, i'll let you all know how it turned out this weekend.
-4500k HID Bi-xenon kit
-4500k HID Fogs
-5% Tint in rear
-Tinted Stock Taillights
-Shaved Emblems
nj99solara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby nj99solara » Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:49 pm

geminimouse wrote:pics r back up..

Thanks for the tutorial without it I most likely would have paid someone to do this.. It was very easy and only took me about 2 hours with a couple of cigarette breaks.
-4500k HID Bi-xenon kit
-4500k HID Fogs
-5% Tint in rear
-Tinted Stock Taillights
-Shaved Emblems
nj99solara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby methyl mike » Sat May 28, 2005 11:57 pm

Wow I just found this! Awesome! Thanks man!
methyl mike
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby drock03 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:26 am

I'm divin in head first this weekend....I'll let you know how it goes!!!
drock03
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby SleeperSolara » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:44 am

Wow, now i can change them myself. :D
Thanks. for who eva bumped this. :D
2000 Solara SE auto V6. Diamond White Pearl.
Top Speed Run finished at 130 mph. :o
Too many modifcations for the signature.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby dominoSLEV6 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:44 pm

BUmp because I did this today. I commend those before me who have tackled this task and come out victorious. The rear bank of a transverse mounted engine like that is more or less impossible. I found myself digging for tools I never thought I would have even needed for this install. Definitely a very tight area. MY front bank instlal time was about 15 minutes (mind you this is my first spark plug change ever) and the rear bank was just short of 2 hours. My shoulder is definitely hurtin now along with my back from leaning in every direction possible over my engine bay.

The important thing is I now have iridium tipped spark plugs, and can finally go ahead and install the nitrous.

-chris
It will run one day, RPMs EVERYWHERE!
dominoSLEV6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby calreef18 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:52 pm

As a tip, not sure if its been said yet, but taking off the strut bar definitely helps your wrench get in a better angle. Also if you have a cheap ass spark plug socket like I do, the rubber thing at the top comes loose and sticks on the plug when you're pulling it out :evil: . So either push it down each time or glue that rubber thing onto the socket with some superglue.
calreef18
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby JAYDEE23 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:54 pm

actually i think the strut bar makes this an easy job..I did all 6 in about 35 minutes..never attempted before..

here are some tips

tools

5/8 SPARK PLUG! socket (dont bother trying to wrestle out the plugs with tape, a hose etc.. just get a freaking spearkplug socket

3" extension

6" extension

-You will ONLY remove the passenger rear from the passenger side . The others are far to easy to remove from the drivers side.

-as stated removing the clips makes it a bit easier (passenger rear). You then pop off the cover. go in with just the 6" and socket. then add the 3" then the ratchet. This will give you more room to swing your ratchet. once loose remove ratchet and 3" ext then pull out plug

-Center rear. this one is easy from the drivers side. Just lay on the strut bar and you will be comfortable. You can also get a look at what you are doing from a space between the rear manifold? for this use the socket and 6".. then add the ratchet and remove

-drivers rear-- this one will require both the 3" and 6". pop off cover..go in with 6" and socket. add 3" then ratchet and loosen plug. remove 3". Now get a little tricky. pull 6",socket and plug up. you will not have sufficient room to remove all so while you are holding the socket use a long wrench to remove the 6" from the socket. you can leverage the wrench against the manifold. quite simple if you understand what i mean

thats it..
JAYDEE23
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SleeperSolara » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:42 pm

Forgot to post back.
Finished mine.
Took about 6 hours..... cause the rear middle one was givin' me a problem.
Guess it was DWP's first spark plug change.
The front were really easy, but the left one was funky cause it was on there hard.......
And there was some white stuff in the little chamber in the front left one and a little in the middle front.
The rear left was pretty easy, and the same for the right.
The middle rear was a pain in the @$$ cause could get enough leverage to get the thing to budge.
So i had to get the socket in a right position and the area near teh EGR valve that's open got a copper pipe and placed it on teh edge of the socket and staighten the socket cause it had a flex neck and then took a hammer and gave it a little bit of a wack about 3 times and finally got it out.
And man my right arm was all red from that bolt near the intake manifold brace of some sort.
But the car does start up better, and it costed me $60 for the spark plugs for SK20's. And about $5.00 for the anit-seize.

Props man.
2000 Solara SE auto V6. Diamond White Pearl.
Top Speed Run finished at 130 mph. :o
Too many modifcations for the signature.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5