[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 1MZ Spark Plugs
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

1MZ Spark Plugs

Postby DrLove » Thu May 22, 2008 6:38 pm

Mine had NGK with 2 pins on it, they were old but no oil, nothing, just a bit "gray" that show that they have been too hot or that the car run too poor. It's a nice upgrade, for gaz mileage,earth and performance.
SOLD 1999 Toyota Solara V6 SE white
Mazda 6 2010 6 speed black GS
DrLove
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

hey

Postby E_funkdoktor » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:47 pm

may i have the pics please thanx
Solara Freak!
E_funkdoktor
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby geminimouse » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:03 am

I do not have the pictures anymore.
08 Accord Coupe
99 Solara Sold on 7/7/07
geminimouse
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby lexmex » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:09 am

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264967

Not sure how much this will help, but this was a spark plug changeout I did on my RX300, which uses a similar 1MZFE engine, but the only difference is that there is a different throttle body on ours if you decide to go that route, http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291370
lexmex
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Midias » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:28 am

I wrote this up in a pm a bit back maybe it will help a little

Start by changing the front 3 plugs

Then reach around behind your intake you should be able to feel the back 2 plugs on the driver side.

You will most likely have to use a combination of extensions to get the wrench to a place where it will turn.

Lastly remove the pcv valve and there should be enough room to reach the last plug

There you go use ANTI seize on the plugs and dielectric grease on the wire boots and you will be all set.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby wekillyou » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:03 am

can we please get some working pics up?
wekillyou
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby RFTL08 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:40 am

EASY!!!! i dont have any idea how it takes some of you 3 or 4 hours to do this. i just bought my solara about 5 months ago and did the first plug change thats ever been done on it in about 45 mins and that includes cleaning the throttle body and new pcv valve. ill say it again.. THIS IS EASY (if you have any knowledge at all about cars that is) have a nice day
RFTL08
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:11 pm

I wouldn't use dielectric grease.

Definition of dielectric: A nonconductor of electricity, especially a substance with electrical conductivity of less than a millionth (10-6) of a siemens.
Trust me, I'm a technician.
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Mole » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:51 am

RFTL08 wrote:EASY!!!! i dont have any idea how it takes some of you 3 or 4 hours to do this. i just bought my solara about 5 months ago and did the first plug change thats ever been done on it in about 45 mins and that includes cleaning the throttle body and new pcv valve. ill say it again.. THIS IS EASY (if you have any knowledge at all about cars that is) have a nice day

you have 4 cylinder?
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby nemoxfishy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:02 am

Mole wrote:
RFTL08 wrote:EASY!!!! i dont have any idea how it takes some of you 3 or 4 hours to do this. i just bought my solara about 5 months ago and did the first plug change thats ever been done on it in about 45 mins and that includes cleaning the throttle body and new pcv valve. ill say it again.. THIS IS EASY (if you have any knowledge at all about cars that is) have a nice day

you have 4 cylinder?

LOL
nemoxfishy
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ampreston85 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:09 am

LOL X2 ^^^^

I'm not going to say that it can't be done without removing the Intake Manifold and possibly even the Fuel Rail... It can be done. But you honestly should just do it the right way. Plus, messing around like that, you run the risk of damaging the plugs, or stripping them. Lol i will say that half the reason i say this is cuz im not puttin no POS plugs in my car. Denso Iridium's FTW... Not trying to damage one of those and shell out another 8-10 bucks for a replacement. lol buying 6 of them is enough haha.
AMP'D - 99' Lara SE V6 ~In Progress~
ampreston85
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby alltrac92 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:52 pm

I pulled the intake plenum I did not want to deal with the frustration.
alltrac92
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby mers714 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:13 pm

my mechanic had to pull off the intake manifold
2000 Solara V6 SE AUTO - TRD RSB - TINT - 6K HID's
mers714
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby hang3xc » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:56 pm

I came across this tool and it made it MUCH easier than it would have been without it. It is a...
Gear Wrench 5/8 inch X 6 inch MAGNETIC SWIVEL SPARK PLUG SOCKET
I got mine at Advance Auto Parts, but it's prob sold at lots of places

First, it's magnetic on the inside and holds the plug very securely.
Second, it is long enough to not need extensions,
Third, it swivels kind of like a universal joint, except it's not a universal joint, which can bind up at certain angles.

Because it's magnetic it will hold the plug while putting it in and taking it out. On the front plugs I used a regular old spark plug socket and the little rubber piece came out of the socket while the plug was still in the hole! I had to use one of those flexible things that have 3 retractable claws to get it out. After that I went looking for a better way and came across this tool.
Being long enough you don't need to attach any extensions, which could come off the socket and make things a more difficult than they need to be
The swivel makes it easy to get it in and out of the hole and allows more angles or leeway to work the ratchet

This isn't spam. I just came across this tool yesterday and it worked so good I thought it would help others with this somewhat difficult job. It's also inexpensive, which is always good. I think it was $10.50
It really made things easier
hang3xc
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby rjfoste09 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:10 pm

nemoxfishy wrote:
Mole wrote:

you have 4 cylinder?

LOL

no its a 1mz v6... one of the easiest plug changes i have ever done on a car. 8 inch extension, ratchet and a piece of rubber hose is all it takes, second time i did it, took well under 30 mins. no taking off the intake manifold, pcv valve, no reason to. front ones are easy, back ones i get 2 from drivers side and the other one from the pass side.

2000 Solara SLE 1MZ v6 Auto.
rjfoste09
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5