[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - How to change the V6 thermostat
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

How to change the V6 thermostat

How to change the V6 thermostat

Postby SleeperSolara » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:07 am

Now if you guys feel like it changin' you thermostat for a new one, i just finished it yesterday.

1. Let you car cool down a bit, cause you don't want to burn yourself wit hot radiator fluid.
2. Turn the heater controls to the far right on hot.
3. First you put you car on jacks[safety first]
3. Then you get under you car, and look for the back headers, and look between the y-pipe, and back header, and find a drain plug, and bolt.[ bolt is 14mm].
4. get some tubing, i think 3/8'' from Home Dept, it about $4.00.
5. Slide the tubing on the drain plug and open the bolt, until the some fluid starts running from the bolt. [no need to take the bolt off completely]
*You don't need to touch the front radiator drain plug on the block beacuse the radiator will drain half of it, and the back plug will drain the rest.
*Have the radiator cap on so there is pressure on the system to drain out and it will drain the reservior out by itself.
6.Drain the fluid into an container, and dispose of it properly
7.Then put some tubing on the radiator drain plug itself, and drain that into the container too.
8. The fluid should be about 2 gals.
9. Once you drained the engine block and the radiator, put some regular water in the radiator and fill it to full, and run the engine until the radiator fans turn on, also have the heater on full blast.
10. Once the fans turn on shut down the car, and have yourself a drink, until the car cools down again.
11. You should fill and drain the radiator about 3 times, to make sure the old radiator fluid it out. [Don't forget the radiator reservior]
12. Run the car everytime you fill up the radiator wit the heater on high. [Have the windows down so that inside the car don't get hot]
12. The second time you drain the car of it cooling fluids, put it also into a container and dispose of properly.
13. Once you have everything done, and you still have you car on jackstands, drain the car again it should from the same back drain plug and and raditor darin plug. [ Plain water should come out by now]
14. Once everything is drained, tighten all the bolts of the drain plugs.
15. Take out the air intake hose and the top half, unplug the MAF. [Also unplug and disconnect the black hoses from the blow-by, and the black emission canister]
16.Disconnect the ground on the battery.
17. Now if you look at the oil cap and trace to the side of the heads, you will find a gray plug, you should unplug that.
18. Now find the radiator hose near the battery, and disconnect that from the metal tubing.[That is the water inlet piping]
19. Now find the bolt on the brakcet of the water inlet housing and take it off, the bolt should be 12mm or 14mm. Also disconnect the fasteners from the water inlet housing.
20. Turn the water inlet piping in a circular motion, to get it disconnected from the Thermostat housing. [You shoudl replace the o-ring wit a new one]
*When you put the new waterinlet o-ring, besure to soak it wit soapy water.
21. Now get a 10mm socket wrench, and there should be 4 of them, one for the wiring harness(black bundle or wires), 3 for the housing.
22. Once you get the bolts off, and place them in a safe place, maneuver the house throught the wires, and remember house the thermostat was in place.
23. To remove the thermostat you might have to use pliers to get it out.
24. Place the new thermostat itself, in the block housing, wit the jiggle pin at the highest point.
25. Install the thermostat housing back on the block. [Make sure the jiggle pin is still at the highest point]
26.Install the 3x10mm bolts back in their place, the 4th is for that harness, it would be the black bundle of wires.
27. Now plug the gray plug back on the housing.
28. No take the water inlet piping, and move it in a circular motion to put it back in the thermostat housing.
29. Bolt the 12mm-14mm bolt to the brakcet back onto the engine block.
30.Put back all the wire fasteners, back in the place they are suppose to be.
31. Place the radiator hose you removed earlier, back onto the water inlet piping wit the clamp on it.
32. Now put back together you intake hose, and plug the MAF back to the tubing. [ Don't forget the plug back the hoses form the blow-by, and the emission canister]
33. Now fill the car back up wit what every radiator fluid you use(new of coruse). Fill the car wit a gallon of radiator fluid and a gallon od distilled water. Some of the fluid should go the reservior and fill the to the full mark, with radiator fluid and distilled water.
34. Now put the raidator cap back on and turn the car on with the heater on high, and have a drink that you finished changing the stupid thermostat. :drinking:
35. Now lower the car off the stands.

Once everything is back in order pat yourself on the back and enjoy your new thrmostat you just replaced. Sorry if this is a long thread but how i did it, it is the easiest i think.
2000 Solara SE auto V6. Diamond White Pearl.
Top Speed Run finished at 130 mph. :o
Too many modifcations for the signature.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby Yanks0114 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:50 am

Very nicely done.
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Nice job!

Postby michaels artic frost » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:20 am

Nice job! About how long did that take?

-Michael 8)
Updated 06/01/12: Michael T's
Updated 06/01/12: JUICED! 232whp 294ft/lbs of torque
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Thermostat change

Postby SleeperSolara » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:45 am

I took me about 45min to an 1 hour.
It was a pain in the a$$, though.
At least got it done.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby pbartosz » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:41 am

Hey nice job on description

I am having trouble finding my thermostat housing though anyone have a picture showing it?

I have the 99 v6

i take it the thermostat is on the right side of the engine but I am not exactly sure where it is? Does anyone have helpful info about finding it?
pbartosz
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Sebas007 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:11 am

Nice job done SleeperSolara !

Few type-writer mistakes but nothing to stop me understanding it out.
I know that Pontiac Grand Prix guys talk (I was aiming a Pontiac before I got my '93 Camry...now is Toyota forever !) they talk of a lower temp thermostat. Having those launch the cold-down trigger quicker (at lower temp). Those guys use 160F or 140F thermostat vs the stock 180F. Do you think guys we could gain something out doing the same thing ? What do you guys think about it ?
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby QuickSEV6 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:04 am

Funny you should post this. I plan on installing my high temp therm soon. (maybe this weekend).
I'll be sure to take pics at every step.
QuickSEV6
Solara Driver Extraordinaire
Solara Driver Extraordinaire

Postby SleeperSolara » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:11 am

QuickSEV6 wrote:Funny you should post this. I plan on installing my high temp therm soon. (maybe this weekend).
I'll be sure to take pics at every step.

Yeah let me know if you need any clarifications on any steps.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

thermostat housing

Postby pbartosz » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:34 am

hey sleeper

can you help me identify the thermostat housing? is it on the right or left of the engine looking at the front of the car?

is it attachted to the engine block?

did you have to remove your the air intake compartment ( compartment that holds the air filter) ?
pbartosz
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby pbartosz » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:15 am

so i took another look at it on my lunch break and I think i see it on the right side of the engine where the lower radiator hose comes connects to the block.

there are also tons of wires and hoses to deal with

can anyone confirm that this is the thermostat housing?
pbartosz
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SleeperSolara » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:47 am

pbartosz wrote:so i took another look at it on my lunch break and I think i see it on the right side of the engine where the lower radiator hose comes connects to the block.

there are also tons of wires and hoses to deal with

can anyone confirm that this is the thermostat housing?

Yes that is the thermostat housin' that has the right radiator hose hooked to it. You can take the intake box out to have more room, also takin' the battery would make even more room.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5