[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Lighting options
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Lighting options

Postby QuickSEV6 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:42 pm

pythonjosh wrote:
QuickSEV6 wrote:Josh,
Did you paint your clock too? I hate that green and I want to chage the color of my clock to a nice blue.

Ya I red sharpied my clock. Turned out more orange than red, but it sure beat that damn green. The untainted color of the clock is a light green, just put some blue sharpie on the shield and it should look absolutely perfect IMO.

The LEDs themselves are green?
Maybe I can get some clear blue plastic pieces to affix to the lens.

I'm also thinking about using some blue plastic to cover all of the wood on my dash. I thought it might give my interior a little more style. I still want it to have the marbling of the wood, but I want it to look blue instead of the brown (to match the exterior)
QuickSEV6
Solara Driver Extraordinaire

Postby pythonjosh » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:19 pm

QuickSEV6 wrote:
pythonjosh wrote:
QuickSEV6 wrote:Josh,
Did you paint your clock too? I hate that green and I want to chage the color of my clock to a nice blue.

Ya I red sharpied my clock. Turned out more orange than red, but it sure beat that damn green. The untainted color of the clock is a light green, just put some blue sharpie on the shield and it should look absolutely perfect IMO.

The LEDs themselves are green?
Maybe I can get some clear blue plastic pieces to affix to the lens.
I'm also thinking about using some blue plastic to cover all of the wood on my dash. I thought it might give my interior a little more style. I still want it to have the marbling of the wood, but I want it to look blue instead of the brown (to match the exterior)

They are light green. Putting blue cellophane over the wood trim would look pretty tight for a blue theme.
Brilliant Silver 03 Nissan G35 6MT

In the struggle for justice, I is prepared to lay my life on the line. Just like Martin Luther Vandross did.
pythonjosh
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby QuickSEV6 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:28 pm

pythonjosh wrote:They are light green. Putting blue cellophane over the wood trim would look pretty tight for a blue theme.

CELLOPHANE!!!! That was the word I couldn't think of.
Thanks
lol
I was struggling to think of that damn word.
Yeah. I'm thinking of covering all of the wood trim with blue CELLOPHANE.
I'm also getting my gauge cluster redone in the blue and gold theme of my exterior.
http://www.solaraguy.org/viewtopic.php?t=30063
QuickSEV6

Postby pythonjosh » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:35 pm

QuickSEV6 wrote:
pythonjosh wrote:They are light green. Putting blue cellophane over the wood trim would look pretty tight for a blue theme.

Thanks
lol
I'm also getting my gauge cluster redone in the blue and gold theme of my exterior.

Damn the Topic Reply notification emails aren't working for this thread and it keeps saying there's a second page, but there's no posts on it, and my last post posted to this page. Some weird shtuff goin on.

Where ya gonna put gold? This theme sounds awesome, can't wait to see the progress!
Brilliant Silver 03 Nissan G35 6MT

In the struggle for justice, I is prepared to lay my life on the line. Just like Martin Luther Vandross did.
pythonjosh
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby QuickSEV6 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:39 pm

pythonjosh wrote:
QuickSEV6 wrote:

Thanks
lol

Damn the Topic Reply notification emails aren't working for this thread and it keeps saying there's a second page, but there's no posts on it, and my last post posted to this page. Some weird shtuff goin on.

Where ya gonna put gold? This theme sounds awesome, can't wait to see the progress!

Blue faces, gold numbers and hash marks. I'm thinking every other hash mark will be gold and blue alternating. I'm also having the word "Solara" outlined in gold across all three faces, but that won't be lit up.
With the blue trim in the car, I might also get the gold shift knob too, just to keep up with the theme.
http://www.twmshiftknobs.com/shiftknobs ... -knob.html
QuickSEV6

Postby yevhend52 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:01 pm

hey i colored some bulbs and this is how it came out

The cluster

The ignition light

Together

the quality of the pictures isn't great they dont really look read but look pink and orange for some reason, but in in person they are a nice red, and i like the way it turned out. the red looks realy nice now. it goes with the exterior

Thanks man
2000 SLE V6
yevhend52
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby chrom3titan » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:49 am

nice!
chrom3titan
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby DrLove » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:52 am

I try on my HVAC just for fun to make it red before to change it to white LED..I wanted to know if it looks nice or not.. I used some glass art stuf..you know they use this to make art on glass.. it's heat resistant and color very well.. the resulst is ok but it's hard to get exactly the same red color everywhere.. I'm waiting my no:74 "wide" white LEDs.. :) then my gauges, key ring and the HVAC+cig will be white. Im gonna make the automatic shifter PRND21 white also, I just need to see how much space I get there to choose the right 194 bulb..the most powerful superflux LED will be the better there. Im gonna send you pics when It will be done..
:D I HATE THAT "GREEN YELLOW" COLOR
SOLD 1999 Toyota Solara V6 SE white
Mazda 6 2010 6 speed black GS
DrLove
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby chrom3titan » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:58 am

heads up but I tried this on six separate bulbs not including my clock, and all of the bulbs shorted out. They overheated and just stopped working and I could swear I smelled burning, anyway I looked behind the cluster and there where 5 black bulbs :( I painted them red :( anyways I went to wal mart, the only thing thats open at 3am and I bought orange replacement bulbs for like 5 bucks for a set of 4, and they look excellent! just a heads up that your bulbs CAN BURN with nail polish on them, and there is a slight possibility that a fire will start behind your cluster where there is plenty of foam to catch fire and good luck putting it out lol, because you cant! ehh it really looked good too :(

PS: this was over a time span of about an hour~, about 30 mins for the first ones to burn
chrom3titan
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Gadgetjq » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:23 am

Better than nail polish (and you don't have to suffer the angst of being seen buying the stuff) is 'transparent paint'. It's available at most any hobby shop in all sorts of colors.

I've used it on tail light lenses and sprayed directly on bulbs with no heat issues (though I never tried it with Halogens).

Unlike nail polish the transparent paint will just filter the color without the extreme blocking (dimming) of light you'd have with polish.

Transparent paint is also good for changing the color of chrome trim Image

Cheers
Gadgetjq
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby BLACK V6 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:09 pm

Would someone mind posting some pictures of the actual colored bulbs so I can have an idea of what they are supposed to look like painted. I am worried that I would put too much on them or something like that.
BLACK V6
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Previous

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5