[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Wheel size selection and acceleration relationship
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Wheel size selection and acceleration relationship

Wheel size selection and acceleration relationship

Postby Turbosolara » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:07 am

I am not sure where should i put this information that i stealed from jdmcivic forum. but i think it is quite useful, so i just gonna drop it off right here. I hope this will give an new tunner help selecting wheels!

It started with someone is asking the relationship between large wheel and smaller wheels (15 or 16 in this case).

Slateraptor answered:

1.) if the 15" wheels+tires you plan to buy are lighter than the 16" wheels+tires you currently have, and the 15" was plus-sized to the 16", then, theoretically, acceleration will be quicker since the moment of inertia and centrifigual mass will be lowered.

2.) if wheel+tire weight of the 15" and 16" are the same and the 15" were plus-sized to the 16", then you'd still accelerate quicker than the 16" since centrifigual mass is still closer to the center. the increase in acceleration would hardly be noticeable though.

3.) if the 15" were not plus-sized to the 16" and were fitted w/ a tire that had a smaller aspect ratio as the 16" (assuming treadwidth is equal for both), and the 15" are lighter than the 16", then there is a significant increase in acceleration from the moment of inertia being lowered, centrifigual mass being closer to the center, and gears being shorter from an overall decrease in wheel diameter.

get where i'm going? 1 and 2 will gain you acceleration just from the fact that the wheel is either smaller and/or lighter, but overall diameter of the wheel+tire is unchanged. 3 will gain you acceleration from being lighter AND by sacrificing top gear speed for acceleration by decreasing the diameter of wheel+tire.
2002 Lexus IS300 5MT
1997 Prelude base, 5MT
Turbosolara
juicy Taiwanese sausage
juicy Taiwanese sausage

Re: Wheel size selection and acceleration relationship

Postby TRD_solaRa » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:15 pm

UltraslowSolara wrote:I am not sure where should i put this information that i stealed from jdmcivic forum. but i think it is quite useful, so i just gonna drop it off right here. I hope this will give an new tunner help selecting wheels!

It started with someone is asking the relationship between large wheel and smaller wheels (15 or 16 in this case).

Slateraptor answered:

1.) if the 15" wheels+tires you plan to buy are lighter than the 16" wheels+tires you currently have, and the 15" was plus-sized to the 16", then, theoretically, acceleration will be quicker since the moment of inertia and centrifigual mass will be lowered.

2.) if wheel+tire weight of the 15" and 16" are the same and the 15" were plus-sized to the 16", then you'd still accelerate quicker than the 16" since centrifigual mass is still closer to the center. the increase in acceleration would hardly be noticeable though.

3.) if the 15" were not plus-sized to the 16" and were fitted w/ a tire that had a smaller aspect ratio as the 16" (assuming treadwidth is equal for both), and the 15" are lighter than the 16", then there is a significant increase in acceleration from the moment of inertia being lowered, centrifigual mass being closer to the center, and gears being shorter from an overall decrease in wheel diameter.

get where i'm going? 1 and 2 will gain you acceleration just from the fact that the wheel is either smaller and/or lighter, but overall diameter of the wheel+tire is unchanged. 3 will gain you acceleration from being lighter AND by sacrificing top gear speed for acceleration by decreasing the diameter of wheel+tire.

yesssir.
TRD_solaRa
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5