[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Confused by Front/Rear Sway bars? Here's a Tutorial
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Confused by Front/Rear Sway bars? Here's a Tutorial

Confused by Front/Rear Sway bars? Here's a Tutorial

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:24 pm

Front wheel drive cars w/ fully independent suspensions shouldn't be 3-wheeling.
Last edited by Jackass-Jeff on Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
1GR-FE ftw!
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby RichD978 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:36 pm

it was too long to read... but the pictures scared me... wouldnt the car flip
RichD978
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:50 pm

RichD978 wrote:it was too long to read... but the pictures scared me... wouldnt the car flip

It's never too long to read if you want to learn

How would the car flip? That's under ridiculously hard turns (autoX)... I doubt you'd be daily driving like that... (unless you're Mark or Milton... haha)
1GR-FE ftw!
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby RichD978 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:57 pm

guess im just used to seeing 4 tires on the ground
RichD978
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Nutty101 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:16 am

Haha! Amazingly it seems freaky but you realize really quick that you have just as much control as when all four are on the ground. Our cars can pull that stuff off. It is more about the driver than the car in some cases. The solara seems to be one of them.. In the right hands the car is one insain piece of equipment. It's about pushing the car, while stock they may not be the best out there they can still hold to the road really good. Upgrade the suspension and you can go even further. be prepared however it puts alot of strain on parts and causes parts to fail quicker than they should. Part of the game.
Nutty101
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby cdssolara » Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:47 pm

Good read! A lot of information on a tricky subject. I have one comment and a question:

A big bar at one end of the car causes weight to transfer quicker at that end, which reduces the other end of the car's tendency to slide. That's how the bars have an impact on oversteer and understeer.

Can you explain how a stiff rear bar that causes the inside rear tire to lift off the ground transfers weight to the front end? I don't see how this is possible unless the car is decelerating.
cdssolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:21 pm

the rear is stiff as hell... compression on one side will also be applied to the opposite.

Since the front can flex (FWD), it will have grip. The RIGHT TURN will force all the weight of the car to the left side. Since the rear has a bar, it will loose traction and break loose. In breaking loose, the weight is still transfered to the left side and the bar helps compress the right side as the left is compressed. Since the right compressed, it may lift slightly (compressed!!! remember COMPRESSED!!) because of the compression caused by the left side.
1GR-FE ftw!
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby cdssolara » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:46 pm

I understand what causes one side to lift up, but that wasn't my question. I probably didn't phrase it correctly. I want to know how the bigger rear bar gives the front end more motive traction, especially in a situation like the last picture where the inside rear tire is off the ground.

Jackass-Jeff wrote:the rear is stiff as hell... compression on one side will also be applied to the opposite.

Since the front can flex (FWD), it will have grip. The RIGHT TURN will force all the weight of the car to the left side. Since the rear has a bar, it will loose traction and break loose. In breaking loose, the weight is still transfered to the left side and the bar helps compress the right side as the left is compressed. Since the right compressed, it may lift slightly (compressed!!! remember COMPRESSED!!) because of the compression caused by the left side.
cdssolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby TRD_solaRa » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:17 am

Very informative Jeff. Props man & mahalos for the lay out
TRD_solaRa
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 2002greenhornet » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:03 pm

Superior write-up, man. Thanks big time. I love learning how and why things work.

A quick question about the TRD RSB: The "track" setting effectively makes it stiffer, correct? In other words, equalizes the compression from side to side more? I've been wondering if there's any reason NOT to put mine on track setting. It can't be that extreme a difference, can it?
Steve
-----------------
2002 SLE V6
2002greenhornet
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:37 pm

2002greenhornet wrote:Superior write-up, man. Thanks big time. I love learning how and why things work.

A quick question about the TRD RSB: The "track" setting effectively makes it stiffer, correct? In other words, equalizes the compression from side to side more? I've been wondering if there's any reason NOT to put mine on track setting. It can't be that extreme a difference, can it?

newbs will oversteer into walls =D hahahaha

i actually took that from a Forum... from a guy that drives... A TERCEL rofl!!
1GR-FE ftw!
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby cdssolara » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:43 pm

It's not an extreme difference, but it's noticeable. I'm currently using the TRACK setting on my rear bar, along with the stock front bar, and my car will oversteer if I cut a corner too hard. You just have to be prepared for it. When I had the Whiteline front sway bar along with the TRD rear on TRACK, the car just felt stiff at both ends, which made it feel like it was going to understeer if I hit a corner too hard. It's amazing how much of an impact these bars have. If you're going to put the rear bar on TRACK, just play with it a little in a parking lot before you get aggressive on a winding road or you might be surprised.

2002greenhornet wrote:Superior write-up, man. Thanks big time. I love learning how and why things work.

cdssolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5