[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Advise to help save your transmission
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Advise to help save your transmission

Advise to help save your transmission

Postby L.A.solaraman » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:34 pm

I'm just passing along some info that has been given to me by many car enthusiasts, mechanics, etc.

The following is a way to keep pressure (the weight of your car) from being put on the transmission/gears while your car is parked.

-for autos - When you come to a stop to park, put the car in neutral, set the parking brake, and remove your foot from the brake to make sure the car will not roll. Then put your foot back on the brake and put the car in park. This process allows the parking brake bear the weight of the car, rather than the weight of the car resting against the transmission/gears.

-for manuals - stop, put the car in neutral, set the parking brake, make sure the car does not move, turn off the car, then put it back in gear (if you want).

Changing gears... autos only...
Whenever changing from park to reverse or to drive or from reverse to drive (and back), make sure your car is at a complete stop, change gears, and wait for a second or two until you feel, hear, or see (on your tach) that the gear you selected is engaged, then begin to drive... over time it will help save your transmission Too many people often start to move or are not completely stopped when changing gears. I know from the bad experiences of others... some of whom went through three transmission by 100k miles. I have always done the above, and I have never had a problem with a transmission on any car that I have owned.

Just trying to help! :)
2004 OP/sle
L.A.solaraman
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Advise to help save your transmission

Postby bassthrive » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:42 pm

L.A.solaraman wrote:-for autos - When you come to a stop to park, put the car in neutral, set the parking brake, and remove your foot from the brake to make sure the car will not roll. Then put your foot back on the brake and put the car in park. This process allows the parking brake bear the weight of the car, rather than the weight of the car resting against the transmission/gears.

Just brake to a complete stop, throw her in park with foot still on brake pedal, engage E-Brake, release brake pedal. Does the same exact thing.

Additionally, the best thing to do for your tranny is to change the fluid at the recommeded intervals, run a synthetic ATF and keep the transmission fluid as cool as possible. Heat breaks down the ATF and will rip apart a transmission. Installing a cooler will add longevity to your transmission, especially if you drive it hard.
- Paul

y2k(1MZ)dWp
cpe mafci / apexi ws / tein s-tech + tokico / trd rsb
bassthrive
SolaraGuy Marklar
SolaraGuy Marklar

Postby L.A.solaraman » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:49 pm

You're right... good advice... I just release the brake after I engage the parking brake to make sure that the car will not move. This is especially noticable/important when on an incline.

I just put this information in to help others out who may not practice those steps. Its just one of many ways to help save your transmission.
2004 OP/sle
L.A.solaraman
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Parke10 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:16 am

unless u really need it its not good to put on yer e-brake in a auto after driving, because the brakes are hot and puttin it on will just warp them
Parke10
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:49 am

Parke10 wrote:unless u really need it its not good to put on yer e-brake in a auto after driving, because the brakes are hot and puttin it on will just warp them

There is no such thing as an "E-Brake" in an emergency, NO ONE till try to pull that.... and if you did, your rear will lose traction and you slide... it's called a parking brake... because it's used when you PARK.
1GR-FE ftw!
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby Jai_Jai_Binks » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:30 am

I hate it when i see a/t come to the stop and then you see that 'roll back and stop' action....if people only knew...some people think ebrake is an extra option they got for free! :lol:
Jai_Jai_Binks
Desi SolaraGuy
Desi SolaraGuy

Postby Parke10 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:54 am

my bad "parking brake" its just a bad habbit of calling it e-brake,u could use it and keep control if u eased into it
Parke10
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby prowlerartist » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:15 pm

you can call it either parking break or e-break same thing
prowlerartist
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5